Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Donald Trump Takes On Ethics Reform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Glad to see him bring this stuff up. Lobbying, in my opinion, has become an overly influential body in our political system. Looking right at you, big pharma and defense contractors.

​DONALD J. TRUMP’S FIVE-POINT PLAN FOR ETHICS REFORM
"First: I am going to re-institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for 5 years after they leave government service. I am going to ask Congress to pass this ban into law so that it cannot be lifted by executive order.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections."

Sounds good. I like it. No way he'd get congress to give up their golden parachutes though. 

Quote:Sounds good. I like it. No way he'd get congress to give up their golden parachutes though. 

Probably right, but it does need to be addressed. If public opinion can be swayed enough maybe, just maybe, it could gain traction.
Quote:Probably right, but it does need to be addressed. If public opinion can be swayed enough maybe, just maybe, it could gain traction.
For sure. Honestly I'd go farther then 5 years on the ban but gotta start somewhere. 
First he's going to lose bigly.

Second he's going to complain for years it was a rigged election.

Third he's going to cash in as best he can on this and try to launch a television channel.

Fourth he is going hit the Kardashian wall where his overexposure as a non-presidential candidate makes him just another reality tv doofus people get sick of who they once told themselves they liked (see Snookie).

Fifth he is going to trade out Melania for a younger piece of [BLEEP] from an eastern European country and live his remaining years the same enormous turd he is today.
Quote:For sure. Honestly I'd go farther then 5 years on the ban but gotta start somewhere. 

Agreed!
Quote:First he's going to lose bigly.

Second he's going to complain for years it was a rigged election.

Third he's going to cash in as best he can on this and try to launch a television channel.

Fourth he is going hit the Kardashian wall where his overexposure as a non-presidential candidate makes him just another reality tv doofus people get sick of who they once told themselves they liked (see Snookie).

Fifth he is going to trade out Melania for a younger piece of [BAD WORD REMOVED] from an eastern European country and live his remaining years the same enormous turd he is today.

Troll, does anything you said have anything to do with this thread?
Quote:Troll, does anything you said have anything to do with this thread?

Just ignore him. He is mad he chose the wrong side of history.
Trump won't have a chance to do any of this and we all know Hillary won't even pretend she will. Might as well start a thread about where Gus is going to go on vacation after winning his third consecutive Super Bowl for the Jags.
Quote:Just ignore him. He is mad he chose the wrong side of history.

Yes.. I will rue the day I didn't vote for the world's biggest snake oil salesman.. it will rank up there with the time I didn't share needles with those really cool chicks I met behind Wal-Mart.
Quote:it will rank up there with the time I didn't share needles with those really cool chicks I met behind Wal-Mart.

[Image: 592bc8f95561fdb230d31bb6ebee145906652d94...3bc51f.jpg]
Quote:Glad to see him bring this stuff up. Lobbying, in my opinion, has become an overly influential body in our political system. Looking right at you, big pharma and defense contractors.

​DONALD J. TRUMP’S FIVE-POINT PLAN FOR ETHICS REFORM
"First: I am going to re-institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for 5 years after they leave government service. I am going to ask Congress to pass this ban into law so that it cannot be lifted by executive order.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections."

Haters: Trump has no specifics...

Trump: SPECIFICS...

Haters: I like turtles...
Quote:Haters: Trump has no specifics...

Trump: SPECIFICS...

Haters: I like turtles...

Reality.. a one man wrecking ball who has alienated himself from both sides of the house is going to get rid of the life blood of every politician on the hill how exactly? By saying so? Asking?

I am not saying I disagree with the idea of getting lobbyists out of politics. I have one in my family who made a mint. Politicians are supposed to represent the people who elected them, but base the people on who they will give an audience to on what they will do for/give them. Trump is going to wave a magic wand and get hundreds of people who do not like him on one side of the aisle and about half of the other side of the aisle who do not like him to agree to stop taking the money that gets them re-elected term after term... because he says so. Seems pretty pie in the sky. I am not saying I disagree with the idea behind it. I'm saying there is no way he could ever get it done even if he was elected. Believe me.
Quote:[Image: 592bc8f95561fdb230d31bb6ebee145906652d94...3bc51f.jpg]

Not nearly as bad as your reasoning for supporting the most toxic and unqualified candidate in history.
Quote:Not nearly as bad as your reasoning for supporting the most toxic and unqualified candidate in history.

Once again you are incapable of anything except emotional hysterics when people discuss platforms. Just need you and TAMs "we really hate Hillary" disclaimer to finish up here.
Hopefullly he starts with his scam of a Charity!!!  

Quote:Once again you are incapable of anything except emotional hysterics when people discuss platforms. Just need you and TAMs "we really hate Hillary" disclaimer to finish up here.
So you have a response for what I stated two posts ago?

Trump is great at saying what he's gonna do and awful at saying how. It's great that he is laying out this plan. How is he going to get anyone to go for it? Congress has spent years softening these rules so they can line their pockets. It's as if it was a deliberate action.. hmmmmm... all of a sudden they are going to decide they hate free money that keeps them afloat and pays for their re-election because a guy who the majority of them dislike says so?

Or is he going to sue them too?
Quote:Reality.. a one man wrecking ball who has alienated himself from both sides of the house is going to get rid of the life blood of every politician on the hill how exactly? By saying so? Asking?

I am not saying I disagree with the idea of getting lobbyists out of politics. I have one in my family who made a mint. Politicians are supposed to represent the people who elected them, but base the people on who they will give an audience to on what they will do for/give them. Trump is going to wave a magic wand and get hundreds of people who do not like him on one side of the aisle and about half of the other side of the aisle who do not like him to agree to stop taking the money that gets them re-elected term after term... because he says so. Seems pretty pie in the sky. I am not saying I disagree with the idea behind it. I'm saying there is no way he could ever get it done even if he was elected. Believe me.

If he proposes this kind of ethics reform, they won't have a choice.  As you just said so eloquently, even though you and I are at largely different ends of the spectrum we agree that we need less special interest influence in Washington so that whatever direction the country goes in, it's the objective plan thought out by our representatives, not the back room dealing paid for by the elite. 

consider the alternative.  Right now as a country we are spending at levels higher than at any time in the history of our country.  Like it or not that is eventually going to show up in our tax bills, through inflation or both.  Even worse, we have had little to no return on that investment.  Why?  Because even when you appropriate large sums of money by the time all the special interests have stolen their portion of it nothing is left to actually serve the citizens. 

We can't go another 14 trillion dollars in debt over the next 16 years of this century and survive economically.  We also can't simultaneously raise taxes and increase revenue because in the dynamism of a global economy industry just moves instead of paying more tax.  At some point you need a guy with weird hair to look a contractor in the face and say "You know what.... I'm not paying $200 for a hammer!"
Quote:Yes.. I will rue the day I didn't vote for the world's biggest snake oil salesman.. it will rank up there with the time I didn't share needles with those really cool chicks I met behind Wal-Mart.

This political forum might as well be called OAN and Faux News. Let them dream about a Trump presidency. It's almost over...

Here comes 8 more years of hearing about the emails
Ok.. you are overlaying issues.. when I lived in DC, I worked for a company that tracked government spending and have some very strong views on government waste, the inefficiencies of the GAO and the entire government procurement process.

That has very little to nothing to do with lobbyists and this type of reform. Nothing in the five points made will have any significant impact on government waste. It would impact what items get brought to the floor for a vote. That's it.
Pages: 1 2