Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Quick Notes From tinhorns Coaches Film
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just getting around to checking this game out. I didn't get to watch the first half due to travel/work. 

Some things I'm seeing in the first half: 
  • First fumble by Bortles was kinda' flukey. Heads up play by the defender to pop the ball out. 

• First defensive series included clear moments of confusion from Telvin, Church, and Patmon. In one instance they were lined up incorrectly, in another they appeared easily misdirected by pre-snap motion by RB and TE. 

• Shatley was being used as a TE at times to help Parnell or Walker. Would like to see that more. 

• Those drive killing drops by Cole (and others) absolutely have to stop happening if this offense is going to move the chains enough to keep up on the scoreboard. #5 isn't going to be money with every throw, so when it's catchable, these guys must make the catch. 

• Nice to see more man coverage, but not giving Ramsey safety help on d-Hop on third down was a mistake IMO. The one hander was pretty undefendable though.

• Gipson seems a little hesitant to come up against the run when it's his duty. Needs to be more physical. 

• Can't believe how much separation receivers have been getting on Bouye this season. Creating big gaps at the break on comebacks, curls and in routes. He needs to tighten up. Fuller embarrassed him.  Twice. 

• Harrison sniffed out a screen well and made a great stop - only for the tinhorns to take advantage of LBs out of their gaps with an easy run up the middle for FG range.  These guys need to stop celebrating individual plays and stay in the game. Getting caught so badly out of position at the snap is a focus problem. 

• I don't agree with the decision to run Yeldon between the tackles as often as they called it. Hopefully they use him differently when Hyde is active. He just seems to thrive running outside by comparison

• I'd like to see the QB quick snap keeper when they come up a foot short on third down even on their side of the field. This offense needs every bit of help and opportunity available. Feels like giving it back on fourth and a foot is a bit of a waste. 

• Those 6 or 7 yard runs by Miller seem caused by a combination of things. Sometimes Miller does a nice job of evading the first tackler, sometimes LBs over-pursue the play or focus too much on pre-snap motion. Sometimes the DTs seem caught off guard by directional blocking/crashing from the guards and center. 

• Dropped INT in endzone by T-Gip was unfortunate - how many of those have our secondary experienced this year? 5? 6?  Gipson follows that up with another low effort play in run support that ends in a TD.  Gotta stick your nose in there and try to stop the guy. He started toward the play then held up.  Weak sauce. 

• Moncrief played quite well. 

• Failure by the O-Line to protect on third and short long enough to get the ball out must be mitigated somehow
Coming away from that half - Bortles made some mistakes, but not as many as I would have thought I'd see. 
He had very little time to work - and they seem hesitant to call a number of quick passes while he's in the game. Presumably due to his tendency to throw picks on those in the past.  I think they need to find more quick throws he can make if they hope to have success with this banged up line. 

Final takeaway, this offense is absolutely, 100%, no doubt hurting quite badly from losing talent to injury. To think otherwise is foolish, IMO.  Yes, Blake is struggling, yes receivers are dropping balls, but missing a viable receiving TE, two RBs,  and having injured starters up front along with a third string tackle is taking its toll. 

This offense was supposed to be able to "do just enough" to win on the merits of a top tier defense. It's been decimated to the point where that "just enough" mark is a really tough ask.
I really think they should tell BB5 that if its 3rd and less then a yard just to get them up to the line on his own and run the sneak hes 6'5 235 lbs he can fall forward for a yard.
Should Cole have caught that first drop? Of course. However, he was way short of the first down with 2 defenders on him. Wouldn't have gotten the first which is a bad decision by Blake.
(10-23-2018, 02:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Should Cole have caught that first drop? Of course. However, he was way short of the first down with 2 defenders on him. Wouldn't have gotten the first which is a bad decision by Blake.

Are we talking about 3rd and 4 with 7:58 on the clock in the first?  He was right at or over the first down boundary on that drop. 

The next one (below) it was 3rd and 7 he still had about 2 yards to gain after the catch. He'd have had a split second to make one move, but would probably be stopped. 
Checking down to Yeldon would have been the better decision here.  He had a bit more room to run.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-23-2018, 02:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2018, 02:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Should Cole have caught that first drop? Of course. However, he was way short of the first down with 2 defenders on him. Wouldn't have gotten the first which is a bad decision by Blake.

Are we talking about 3rd and 4 with 7:58 on the clock in the first?  He was right at or over the first down boundary on that drop. 

The next one (below) it was 3rd and 7 he still had about 2 yards to gain after the catch. He'd have had a split second to make one move, but would probably be stopped. 
Checking down to Yeldon would have been the better decision here.  He had a bit more room to run.

The read was fine, but leading the throw into the zone coverage is dumb by Bortles. That ball needs to be on Cole's left shoulder so he can stick his right foot and push up field away from the zone. The anticipation and timing is awful
(10-23-2018, 03:10 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2018, 02:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Are we talking about 3rd and 4 with 7:58 on the clock in the first?  He was right at or over the first down boundary on that drop. 

The read was fine, but leading the throw into the zone coverage is dumb by Bortles. That ball needs to be on Cole's left shoulder so he can stick his right foot and push up field away from the zone. The anticipation and timing is awful

Oh , sure,  Cole is clearly trying to re-direct away from the defenders and Bortles throws to the wrong side of the receiver. Absolutely.  Yeldon was simply already moving with momentum to a more open area of the field with which to gain the first down. I think that's a better read to make. Throwing to Cole's inside shoulder may have worked as well.

You're thinking of the 2nd drop.
I agree with NYC, Blake should have thrown to Yeldon here.
And I agree with jagshype, if you throw here, it should be the other shoulder.

You aren't wrong in thinking Blake is a problem and should be changed. You'll be hard pressed to find too many people who disagree at this point.
For this season, during these games while he is the QB... the other things should be cleaned up too.
Dropped passes kill ANY QB.

Yeldon had one go through his hands and into a defender with Kessler in the game.
These things can be fixed.
They gotta be, no matter who the QB is.
Thanks. NYC. Did you notice the types of route combinations, are they still forcing every WR to beat his man one-on-one, or the using trees and concepts to scheme guys open but the WR are not consistently running the routes crisply?
I appreciate the work but this is very sad after 5 years....

Coming away from that half - Bortles made some mistakes, but not as many as I would have thought I'd see.
He had very little time to work - and they seem hesitant to call a number of quick passes while he's in the game. Presumably due to his tendency to throw picks on those in the past.  I think they need to find more  quick throws he can make if they hope to have success with this banged up line.

You don't have a QB when you can't do simple things.  The front office blew it with this team.

Edit:

I contend you can't find throws he can make and not with any type or form of consistency.  We can still have a "successful season" but they need to get someone they can count on somewhere.
(10-23-2018, 04:11 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. NYC. Did you notice the types of route combinations, are they still forcing every WR to beat his man one-on-one, or the using trees and concepts to scheme guys open but the WR are not consistently running the routes crisply?

I didn't see anything that we haven't already seen in the first half. There are a couple of underneath routes that cross another receiver or TE before coming open, but the tinhorns were mostly letting those go and playing the first down marker when they were run. 

In the second half Hackett called more 4 or 5 receiver sets than I'm used to seeing, but that may have been as much a product of being down 20 points as having Kessler throwing the ball. Though I believe it was due to both of those reasons.
(10-23-2018, 04:15 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate the work but this is very sad after 5 years....

Quote:Coming away from that half - Bortles made some mistakes, but not as many as I would have thought I'd see.
He had very little time to work - and they seem hesitant to call a number of quick passes while he's in the game. Presumably due to his tendency to throw picks on those in the past.  I think they need to find more  quick throws he can make if they hope to have success with this banged up line.

You don't have a QB when you can't do simple things.  The front office blew it with this team.

Edit:

I contend you can't find throws he can make and not with any type or form of consistency.  We can still have a "successful season" but they need to get someone they can count on somewhere.

I think you may be reading too much into the "not as many mistakes as I thought" comment. 

I'm very, very far from trying to exonerate Bortles here. I do believe the offense is being held back and I do believe the playbook would open up with a better passer under center. 

While I may not agree that the F.O. blew it  -  I do believe it would take a miracle for them not to come to terms with the reality of a greater need at QB than they thought they had.
(10-23-2018, 04:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2018, 04:15 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate the work but this is very sad after 5 years....

Edit:

I think you may be reading too much into the "not as many mistakes as I thought" comment. 

I'm very, very far from trying to exonerate Bortles here. I do believe the offense is being held back and I do believe the playbook would open up with a better passer under center. 

While I may not agree that the F.O. blew it  -  I do believe it would take a miracle for them not to come to terms with the reality of a greater need at QB than they thought they had.

Yeah sorry not trying to paint your comments with a tilt.  Just general commentary from me.  Not trying to nit pick what you posted.  Just saying I'm concerned overall by the fact that he doesn't make the throws.  Not that you are pointing it out.  Honestly you can tell that they are limiting and trying to limit the impact of the QB position to the overall determent of the team.  Just makes me sad at year 5 of a career.  It isn't working out.
(10-23-2018, 02:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Just getting around to checking this game out. I didn't get to watch the first half due to travel/work. 

Some things I'm seeing in the first half: 
  • First fumble by Bortles was kinda' flukey. Heads up play by the defender to pop the ball out. 

• First defensive series included clear moments of confusion from Telvin, Church, and Patmon. In one instance they were lined up incorrectly, in another they appeared easily misdirected by pre-snap motion by RB and TE. 

• Shatley was being used as a TE at times to help Parnell or Walker. Would like to see that more. 

• Those drive killing drops by Cole (and others) absolutely have to stop happening if this offense is going to move the chains enough to keep up on the scoreboard. #5 isn't going to be money with every throw, so when it's catchable, these guys must make the catch. 

• Nice to see more man coverage, but not giving Ramsey safety help on d-Hop on third down was a mistake IMO. The one hander was pretty undefendable though.

• Gipson seems a little hesitant to come up against the run when it's his duty. Needs to be more physical. 

• Can't believe how much separation receivers have been getting on Bouye this season. Creating big gaps at the break on comebacks, curls and in routes. He needs to tighten up. Fuller embarrassed him.  Twice. 

• Harrison sniffed out a screen well and made a great stop - only for the tinhorns to take advantage of LBs out of their gaps with an easy run up the middle for FG range.  These guys need to stop celebrating individual plays and stay in the game. Getting caught so badly out of position at the snap is a focus problem. 

• I don't agree with the decision to run Yeldon between the tackles as often as they called it. Hopefully they use him differently when Hyde is active. He just seems to thrive running outside by comparison

• I'd like to see the QB quick snap keeper when they come up a foot short on third down even on their side of the field. This offense needs every bit of help and opportunity available. Feels like giving it back on fourth and a foot is a bit of a waste. 

• Those 6 or 7 yard runs by Miller seem caused by a combination of things. Sometimes Miller does a nice job of evading the first tackler, sometimes LBs over-pursue the play or focus too much on pre-snap motion. Sometimes the DTs seem caught off guard by directional blocking/crashing from the guards and center. 

• Dropped INT in endzone by T-Gip was unfortunate  - how many of those have our secondary experienced this year? 5? 6?  Gipson follows that up with another low effort play in run support that ends in a TD.  Gotta stick your nose in there and try to stop the guy. He started toward the play then held up.  Weak sauce. 

• Moncrief played quite well. 

• Failure by the O-Line to protect on third and short long enough to get the ball out must be mitigated somehow
He had very little time to work - and they seem hesitant to call a number of quick passes while he's in the game. Presumably due to his tendency to throw picks on those in the past.  I think they need to find more quick throws he can make if they hope to have success with this banged up line. 

Final takeaway, this offense is absolutely, 100%, no doubt hurting quite badly from losing talent to injury. To think otherwise is foolish, IMO.  Yes, Blake is struggling, yes receivers are dropping balls, but missing a viable receiving TE, two RBs,  and having injured starters up front along with a third string tackle is taking its toll. 

This offense was supposed to be able to "do just enough" to win on the merits of a top tier defense. It's been decimated to the point where that "just enough" mark is a really tough ask.

Regarding the part in bold, that's pretty much been my opinion all week thus far.  I just see far too many people trying to place all or at least most of the blame on Bortles.
(10-23-2018, 06:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the part in bold, that's pretty much been my opinion all week thus far.  I just see far too many people trying to place all or at least most of the blame on Bortles.

Yeah, when Robinson went down at tackle the writing was on the wall, the rest of the offensive line if playing hurt, too. Bortles isn't as God awful as some make him out to be, but he's not capable of carrying a team this depleted. I mean look at the saints a few years ago, they had losing records with a first ballot Hall of Fame QB. If Brees can't make it work without talent around him I can't expect Bortles to do it, either. That said I'm irritated that the Jaguars passed on Mahomes for Fournette.
If you’re curious to see some throws between Blake and Kessler, check out John Shipley on Twitter.

Kessler can actually throw WR screens whereas Blake can’t.
(10-23-2018, 07:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]If you’re curious to see some throws between Blake and Kessler, check out John Shipley on Twitter.

It was pretty obvious just watching the third quarter that Blake too often makes the easy stuff look difficult while Kessler had little trouble executing the dink and dunk bag of tricks. 

Given the state of our O-Line and it's inability to buy time, I'm perhaps a little bit surprised they didn't stick with the guy with a quicker release and better timing. 

I guess they value Blake's velocity and willingness to throw downfield a bit more.  

I don't think this offense just turns into a juggernaut by running dink and dunk all day long or anything, but it might move the chains more often and buy the defense a breather here and there at least.

(the play he called a screen wasn't even a screen play, but yeah, Bortles is usually late with that throw screen or not)
(10-23-2018, 07:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2018, 07:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]If you’re curious to see some throws between Blake and Kessler, check out John Shipley on Twitter.

It was pretty obvious just watching the third quarter that Blake too often makes the easy stuff look difficult while Kessler had little trouble executing the dink and dunk bag of tricks. 

Given the state of our O-Line and it's inability to buy time, I'm perhaps a little bit surprised they didn't stick with the guy with a quicker release and better timing. 

I guess they value Blake's velocity and willingness to throw downfield a bit more.  

I don't think this offense just turns into a juggernaut by running dink and dunk all day long or anything, but it might move the chains more often and buy the defense a breather here and there at least.

(the play he called a screen wasn't even a screen play, but yeah, Bortles is usually late with that throw screen or not)

That's kind of the whole point.  Don't go for the "home run" or the "big play" so often.  Just move the chains, get the next first down.  If the offense does that, it takes time off the clock, rests the defense and eventually puts them in a position to score whether it's a touchdown or a field goal.  At the worst it will at least flip field position.

The offense should just focus on getting the first down and moving the chains.  Do that enough and the points will come.  That's the whole point of a power running team.  The offensive philosophy (in my opinion) is not about scoring fast, it's more about controlling the clock and making progress down the field by making 1st downs.  When an offense does that enough, then it opens up the big plays down the field.  It also keeps the defense fresh and able to make plays.
(10-23-2018, 09:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2018, 07:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It was pretty obvious just watching the third quarter that Blake too often makes the easy stuff look difficult while Kessler had little trouble executing the dink and dunk bag of tricks. 

That's kind of the whole point.  Don't go for the "home run" or the "big play" so often.  Just move the chains, get the next first down.  If the offense does that, it takes time off the clock, rests the defense and eventually puts them in a position to score whether it's a touchdown or a field goal.  At the worst it will at least flip field position.

The offense should just focus on getting the first down and moving the chains.  Do that enough and the points will come.  That's the whole point of a power running team.  The offensive philosophy (in my opinion) is not about scoring fast, it's more about controlling the clock and making progress down the field by making 1st downs.  When an offense does that enough, then it opens up the big plays down the field.  It also keeps the defense fresh and able to make plays.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with running that style of offense. It has its merits. Especially if you take a play action deep shot every now and then to keep the defense honest.   But when you fail over and over again to convert on 3rd and short you're gonna end up down on the scoreboard with a worn out defense and that's exactly what happened on Sunday. 

That style of play is also aided by a QB that can get the ball out quickly and give receivers a chance to run after the catch.  Blake has struggled mightily in doing these things lately.
Bortles has struggled in all phases or the QB position. Honestly I sympathize that he has a hurt line gutting it out in front of him but his play is up and down and unpredictable. He presses and makes a simple completion look like an impossible challenge. 10 points is an insurmountable uphill climb and he just can't drive the ball.

The front office hitched the wagon to a train wreck. I have been waiting for 4 years for him to prove me wrong. I have better luck investing in bit coin.
(10-23-2018, 09:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2018, 07:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It was pretty obvious just watching the third quarter that Blake too often makes the easy stuff look difficult while Kessler had little trouble executing the dink and dunk bag of tricks. 

And that's the issue with Blake. He hasn't been able to sustain drives. I thought the Oline played well in the beginning of the Texans game. It wasn't until the 4th quarter when they just unleashed their pass rushers did they start hitting home consistently. 

I understand starting Blake in London but I think this offense would run a lot smoother with Kessler. They're not going to become the Rams but the Jags aren't asking for that. They're asking to limit turnovers (Blake can't do that) and sustain drives to help with field position (Blake can't do that).
Pages: 1 2