Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions about attending today's game in London
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We just arrived back to our hotel following today's game. Although I've been a season ticket-holder since 1995, this was my first "away" game. My impressions on this experience are the following:

1. It was a great atmosphere at Wembley Stadium. I'd recommend every diehard Jaguars' fan take the trip at least once, especially if you've never been to London. It's really a great city with beautiful scenery, museums, and history.

2. The game itself was actually really exciting up until the very disappointing ending. Prior to the start of the game, I had the fear that the Jags may get blown out based on their pathetic performances as of late.

3. Other than losing, my biggest disappointment was that the Eagles' fans outnumbered us greatly. Without knowing the exact numbers, it seemed like the ratio was at least  5-1, probably closer to 10-1. So much for this being a "home" game for the Jags. I'm sure that winning the Super Bowl increased their turnout significantly, although they do generally travel better than anyone other than the Steelers.

4. We did meet some really nice European Jaguars' fans. We sat next to 2 people from Germany who are great fans of the Jags. As far as English fans, we met some but not as many as I thought we'd meet. I will miss listening to the English accent we've heard now for 6 days. 

5. Surprisingly, most Eagles' fans were very friendly. Even when they were behind during the first half, they were good sports. However, if I hear the song "Fly, Eagles, Fly"
    even 1 more time for the rest of my life it will be too much!

6. As far as the game itself, I'm on board with comments already made regarding the play-calling. I like it when they pass on first down, but not using Hyde more in short
    yardage situations in the 4th quarter was inexcusable. Bortles actually played well in the 2nd half, but his receivers are simply not reliable enough. Take out Cole's
    fumble at the end of the 1st half and Chark's touchdown drop and the Jags win the game. Simply stated, this team is so depleted at key positions that they cannot 
    afford any turnovers, drops or inexcusable penalties like the unsportsmanlike conduct against them in the 4th quarter (Not sure who it was on, assumed it was 
    on Westbrook after his reception.

7.  Finally, I agree with those on this board who believe that any hopes for the Jaguars' making the playoffs are over now. Despite being in a very weak division, the Jags 
    will not be able to overcome the unbelievable rash of injuries to key players. They have gone from having their most injury-free season in 2017-18 to the nightmare
    of this season. Fortunately, there is enough talent on this team (mostly defense) that they can be a strong contender in the AFC again next season. They will need to
    let go of at least 3 or 4 key players due to salary-cap (Fowler, Church, maybe Parnell, Campbell or Darius) although I'd hate to lose either of the last two. As far as the
    futures of Bortles and Caldwell, those will be tough decisions. My guess is that both will be gone. Caldwell has made some excellent moves, but his bad ones 
   (drafting Blake, Fowler, Fournette and Bryan in the 1st round, hiring and extending Gus) have overshadowed the good ones. Blake is as tough as nails, never fails to
   take responsibility for bad performances and has at times been unfairly criticized by the media. Bottom line, however, is that he will never be more than an average 
   NFL q.b. who is way too inconsistent to be relied upon.

8. If you can swing it, do yourself a favor and experience the Jaguars' in London at least once.
We've been and hope to go again soon. I was really surprised during our trip by the mix of fans, seems like every team is represented. And accents from all over Europe too not just American or English fans.
Yesterday was the most outnumbered Jags fans have been in all the years I’ve been going, damn Eagles fans everywhere. E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles!!! Must have heard that song a hundred times!