Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jaguars and dropped passes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking this morning about the sheer amount of dropped passes and how they turned critical situations in the games, so I went and looked it up.

According to NBC sports the Jaguars have 4 players in the top 20 in the NFL for drops, with two of those players tied for the league lead at six each. To be clear drop stats are very forgiving, if there's even a defender breathing on a receiver when the ball arrives it's called a pass defensed, not a drop.

Cole is tied with Yeldon at six each and Chark and Moncrief each also have three.

Cole is also in the top twenty for fumbles lost.

I think this really goes back to coaching. Injuries are a problem, but these concentration and discipline problems reach back to last year, too. The continued taunting even as the team is getting its [BLEEP] kicked are emblematic of the problem, too.

How would this team be doing with coaching that took care of these problems last season and didn't let them fester?
Coaches cannot catch the ball. If it is a true drop everything has worked up until the point of the drop. How can the fault be anything other than the player dropping the ball?
(10-30-2018, 09:40 AM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Coaches cannot catch the ball. If it is a true drop everything has worked up until the point of the drop. How can the fault be anything other than the player dropping the ball?

Drops are about focus and discipline, they happen sometimes, but putting the high amount together with the other issues we see on the team shows that focus and discipline appear to be a problem for this team.
(10-30-2018, 09:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking this morning about the sheer amount of dropped passes and how they turned critical situations in the games, so I went and looked it up.

According to NBC sports the Jaguars have 4 players in the top 20 in the NFL for drops, with two of those players tied for the league lead at six each. To be clear drop stats are very forgiving, if there's even a defender breathing on a receiver when the ball arrives it's called a pass defensed, not a drop.

Cole is tied with Yeldon at six each and Chark and Moncrief each also have three.

I think this really goes back to coaching. Injuries are a problem, but these concentration and discipline problems reach back to last year, too. The continued taunting even as the team is getting its [BLEEP] kicked are emblematic of the problem, too.

How would this team be doing with coaching that took care of these problems last season and didn't let them fester?

So Keenan was heaped praise for making something outta nothing for wide outs...
now they are dropping the ball and its coaching (but I assume this means Doug Marrone, and not the WR coach)

As for the taunting and other things... Outside of a coach handicapping his team and himself further by benching everyone and playing the 3rd and 4th string guys, there isn't much to do about things done in the moment of emotion.

Also....... wasn't Tom supposed to be the guy that came in and changed the culture and prevented things like taunting and fri night clubbin' problems?

Glad Coughlin came back and saved the franchise
No one was really complaining about any of the coach stuff last year... the bravado was accepted because we were winning.... the drops were accepted because someone would catch it right after... 

But yeah the drops are a real problem and they really make it a lot harder on our QB who already isn't great.
Complaint thread needs a poll.
(10-30-2018, 09:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Complaint thread needs a poll.

What kinda of threads do you want to see?  Complaint with facts and an open discussion?  That is conversation starter not some hopeless rant thread.

And I am in the camp of not being very vocal last year but being a bit whinier this year with the losses.  It comes out of frustration because I thought we had turned a corner.  No one wants to be a one year fluke.  There were major red flags last year but we were injury free and lucked our way through some rough spots.  This year the wheels are falling off and it is compounding all of the red flag issues.
Sure, it's not unfair to say focus is a problem at times. Discipline? Maybe, I guess. This team is light-years more disciplined than it was in the Bradley era.

Either way - I don't see the drops as emblematic of a coaching problem. Could McCardell double down on a few fundamental drills and try to drive home the point? Yeah, sure, but he probably already has for all we know.

Players dropping footballs largely rests at the feet of the players IMO. I've got plenty of gripes with the staff. This a'int one of 'em.
(10-30-2018, 09:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking this morning about the sheer amount of dropped passes and how they turned critical situations in the games, so I went and looked it up.

I agree. Coaching needs to be addressed during the off season. I feel like we really miss Lee right now in this line-up. He's also had his up's and down's with drops in the past but at least he was the most tenured receiver on the team with Bortles. Bortles doesn't always throw the prettiest of passes either. 

We really do miss a legitimate body type/possession type receiver on this team at the moment. A guy that can climb the ladder on the outside and bail out Bortles more often than not. But so far this team has been a huge, huge disappointment. Outside of just the Patriots and Jets games the offense has looked awful all season.
(10-30-2018, 11:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Players dropping footballs largely rests at the feet of the players IMO. I've got plenty of gripes with the staff. This a'int one of 'em.
So.
Much.
This.
I mean... if this staff was coaching well last season what really changed?

Backups being pressed into starting roles often make mental errors.
For some, pressure cracks.
Also... there is a bit of a snowball effect too. If DL guy misses where he's supposed to be, LB can easily miss his spot trying to make up for some one else, etc etc.
And the snowball effect of drops getting into WRs heads and causing more mental errors.

Can it be coached up? I don't think so.
You can coach technique. You can coach and teach a scheme and all those run fits. Not much coaching goes into catching, especially at the NFL level.
I was really hoping the Jaguars would trade for a proven WR. Without Marqise Lee we seem to have guys that are shocked when the ball shows up and then either drop it or fumble it. I mean they looked great in the New England game somehow but in every other game the entire corp of receivers should be scrutinized. I understand the offense as a whole has really regressed but these guys don't make the plays that are there to be made.
More of a confidence issue than coaching issue imo. 

Cole has had his snaps reduced and if that happened you can be sure the drops have been addressed in practice and in meetings. Not sure what else coaches can do.