Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If we miss the playoffs, who gets fired?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who gets canned, if we miss the playoffs. You can vote for multiple options.
Honestly? Nobody.
Marrone ain’t going anywhere. Neither is Coughlin. Hackett and Wash will probably be out.

Bortles too.
Out of these options? Marrone, Hackett and Wash. I think Coughlin and Caldwell will still be here in 2019. But the only thing this staff can use as an excuse is two things right now.

1. A [BLEEP] ton of injuries occurred this year on offense. But that still doesn't excuse the inconsistency on defense. And injuries are apart of the game. Coaches have to make adjustments and figure that [BLEEP] out when personnel starts getting thin. And yes, most fans DO expect coaches to somehow make magic out of lunch meat.

2. Bortles was NOT Marrone's nor Hackett's choice at QB. Caldwell may have insisted that was the deal when interviewing candidates last year. I am not sure. But it's a fair argument if Marrone and Hackett want to use it.

And Caldwell / Coughlin chose not to go after a QB at a higher degree or level. They didn't pursue Keenum nor Cousins, which, in all honesty it appears to have been the right idea. Cousins was too expensive. Keenum hasn't really shined through that much in Denver. And then in the draft they waited until the 6th RD to take Tanner Lee which we all know how that ended. Outside of trading for Kessler they didn't do enough to push Bortles.

Bortles played well last year at times with a dominating defense that was stealing the football left and right. He did well in three play-off games. And he rightfully earned that extension. I don't fault Caldwell, Coughlin or anybody really in that front office for believing that Bortles had finally turned the corner and with him heading into his 5th year they felt confident.

Hell, we ALL felt confident when they hammered the Patriots at home. And then the [BLEEP] wheels came off in a fiery blaze of glory on offense in Kansas City.

And it's pathetic that they had to threaten his job last week in order for him to play mistake free football in London. So, we'll see what direction they go in next year. We still have half a season of football left to get through. If Blake can at least play like he did in London and they can get something out of Fournette, Hyde and Yeldon they should be able to win at least five or six more games this year.
(10-30-2018, 02:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Out of these options? Marrone, Hackett and Wash. I think Coughlin and Caldwell will still be here in 2019. But the only thing this staff can use as an excuse is two things right now.

1. A [BLEEP] ton of injuries occurred this year on offense. But that still doesn't excuse the inconsistency on defense. And injuries are apart of the game. Coaches have to make adjustments and figure that [BLEEP] out when personnel starts getting thin. And yes, most fans DO expect coaches to somehow make magic out of lunch meat.

2. Bortles was NOT Marrone's nor Hackett's choice at QB. Caldwell may have insisted that was the deal when interviewing candidates last year. I am not sure. But it's a fair argument if Marrone and Hackett want to use it.

And Caldwell / Coughlin chose not to go after a QB at a higher degree or level. They didn't pursue Keenum nor Cousins, which, in all honesty it appears to have been the right idea. Cousins was too expensive. Keenum hasn't really shined through that much in Denver. And then in the draft they waited until the 6th RD to take Tanner Lee which we all know how that ended. Outside of trading for Kessler they didn't do enough to push Bortles.

Bortles played well last year at times with a dominating defense that was stealing the football left and right. He did well in three play-off games. And he rightfully earned that extension. I don't fault Caldwell, Coughlin or anybody really in that front office for believing that Bortles had finally turned the corner and with him heading into his 5th year they felt confident.

Hell, we ALL felt confident when they hammered the Patriots at home. And then the [BLEEP] wheels came off in a fiery blaze of glory on offense in Kansas City.

And it's pathetic that they had to threaten his job last week in order for him to play mistake free football in London. So, we'll see what direction they go in next year. We still have half a season of football left to get through. If Blake can at least play like he did in London and they can get something out of Fournette, Hyde and Yeldon they should be able to win at least five or six more games this year.

1. I agree. I've never seen a Jaguars team have so many key injuries. Especially on the offensive side of the football, where we were already weak. That effected the offense a ton, but what ticked me off was that we weren't prepared. Marrone said before the season started that we were 3 deep on the O-Line. That was a direct quote. I laughed when I read that he said something so ridiculous. Other than Shatley, we had no depth what so ever on the O-Line and that has killed us. Despite this we should still be able to move the ball semi-consistently and instead, we are constantly 3 and out. Hackett has no imagination, has the most predictable, vanilla, conservative offenses I have seen from a Jaguars OC and makes no adjustments at all to make up for the injuries. The defense is on the field way too much and i think a lot of the defensive problems is simply due to exhaustion. 

2. I totally agree as well. We knew Bortles is an inconsistent QB and instead of drafting a young QB to push him, we basically did nothing. Yes, we upgraded the backup QB situation with Kessler, but he's never going to seriously win a starting job, long term, in the NFL. I was against extending Bortles, because even though we were winning last year, there were still major inconsistencies that I saw and I didn't want to be stuck long term with a guy who could regress. I was hoping he turned the corner, but I was doubtful. Yes, I was riding high after the Pats game. I thought after years and years of cheering for the Jags, we finally had a Superbowl contender. We all know what happened since then. Personally, if all we can get out of Bortles is what he did in London, we're in trouble. I see maybe 3 more wins left in the season.
I'd be surprised to see ANYONE get fired after this season. The team has been just decimated by injuries. It's tough to get creative with the offense when you're playing guys you traded for a week earlier, playing behind a line that has been dealing with multiple injuries. There will be changes coming for 2019, but I don't think the coordinators, coach, or front office is going to be impacted by this.
If anyone, Hackett. I see him and Bortles being tied to one another and there is no way this teams next priority is anything other than a QB.
What I wish? Hackett and Wash
What I expect? Nobody
Nobody.

Bortles is a guarantee in 2019, no respectable coach is going to come here and take him. After 2019 there could be a massive blow up if they don't do well. New GM, coaches, and a QB.
I can see the team standing pat. I can also see either or both coordinators gone. The second half of the season will determine that. The season can be salvaged. Jags can wind up above .500 or win the division. But the Demaryius Thomas trade to Houston doesn't help that.
Injuries will be the scapegoat.

Personally I wouldn't mind moving on from Wash but I also can't explicitly say he's done a bad job. I just think we can do better there.
Unlikely they are making meaningful staff changes unless the team endures multiple blowouts in the remaining half of the season.

I don't see it happening.
Man, what a difference 8 weeks makes. I remember reading threads about people getting scared wash or Hackett will get hired as a head coach. Now we’re trying to figure out whose to blame.

I don’t think anyone gets canned. Although, I also wouldn’t be surprised if someone did. My guess, they heal up and find a QB as well as other areas of need.
(10-30-2018, 05:00 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Man, what a difference 8 weeks makes.   I remember reading threads about people getting scared wash or Hackett will get hired as a head coach.  Now we’re trying to figure out whose to blame.  

I don’t think anyone gets canned.  Although, I also wouldn’t be surprised if someone did.  My guess, they heal up and find a QB as well as other areas of need.

I can see a scenario where Hackett is fired. Unlikely with all the injuries though.
I could see the entire staff getting a free pass this year with all the mid-season additions and injuries. To me the staff has proven that it can usually be trusted and have a good game plan most of the time. We've hit an uncharacteristic month of football with lack of experience and injuries taking its toll.
(10-30-2018, 06:25 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]I could see the entire staff getting a free pass this year with all the mid-season additions and injuries. To me the staff has proven that it can usually be trusted and have a good game plan most of the time. We've hit an uncharacteristic month of football with lack of experience and injuries taking its toll.

What needs to happen is we need new LB coaches.  Linebacker is the weakness of the defense at this point.
I can't believe we are rebuilding already. What a joke
(10-30-2018, 07:59 PM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]I can't believe we are rebuilding already. What a joke

Rebuilding? 

Nah. 

That isn't what's happening.
If Caldwell's butt was really to the fire, there's no way he would have traded Fowler away. Marrone could maybe, possibly be in trouble if things get worse and worse as we go, but Gus Bradley got nearly four years to accomplish nothing and Marrone took us to the AFC Championship Game with the same players in his first year, so that probably buys him some time.

I'd like to say that Hackett and Wash are in trouble. The defensive problems have been largely schematic--they've figured us out and we haven't adjusted. The offensive problems have been injuries compounded by terrible play calls and game plans. Realistically, I don't know that the Jags would fire either. They're very high on Wash if you believe anything that comes out of any broadcaster's mouth when his name comes up, and Hackett might as well be bound to Marrone's hip at this point. I think they both get another year.

Where I do think we could see changes is position coaching. If Keenan McCardell were anyone but Keenan McCardell, I think he'd be in a lot of trouble right now. Pat Flaherty could have problems, and Scott Milanovich's ouster should be a foregone conclusion at this point.
(10-30-2018, 02:35 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly?  Nobody.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

And then there’s this:

Quote:That's why he added two years to each of their contracts, which were originally set to expire after the 2019 season. They now will run through the 2021 season.

"The decision to extend the contracts of Tom, Dave and Doug isn't so much a reward for last season, which no doubt was impressive, as it is to recognize their importance to our football team this coming season and for years to follow," Khan said in a statement on Friday afternoon.

"We're past celebrating the accomplishments of our division title and playoff run, and now it's time to take the next step. We need the right leadership firmly in place to make that happen, and it's good to know we'll have that with Tom, Dave and Doug secure in their roles with the Jacksonville Jaguars."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22557...ug-marrone
Pages: 1 2