Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cap casualties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since the Jags are one of only two teams projected to be over the cap in 2019, might as well start looking at likely cap casualties. 

The ones that make the most sense right now would be Malk Jackson, Jermy Parnell, and Barry Church.  Roughly $20M in cap savings without a lot of dead money hits. 

After that, you've got niche players - Niles Paul, Lerentee McCray, and Cody Davis that could be cut to add another $5M in cap savings.  

I think the biggest question mark is Calais Campbell.  He's getting up there in age and whether or not they Jags keep him on the roster will likely determine whether the Jags think they need a major rebuild or just some tweaks to get back into playoff contention.
Does it matter? We're looking at another rebuild next year we missed our window.
Man, I feel bad for Shad Khan. Dude gives Dave Caldwell a blank check in FA year after year and Dave builds us a bottle rocket. Long wait, brief excitement...and now what? Looks like back to another top 10 pick.

He spends 100M+ for Fulham to be competitive in the PL and now they are in last place and in very real danger of being back in the CL.

Dude does nothing but hire people, get out of their way, doesn't meddle, and pump them full of all the cash they ever ask for.
the jaguars are worth a lot more than they were when he bought them.
(11-11-2018, 05:42 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Man, I feel bad for Shad Khan. Dude gives Dave Caldwell a blank check in FA year after year and Dave builds us a bottle rocket. Long wait, brief excitement...and now what? Looks like back to another top 10 pick.

He spends 100M+ for Fulham to be competitive in the PL and now they are in last place and in very real danger of being back in the CL.

Dude does nothing but hire people, get out of their way, doesn't meddle, and pump them full of all the cash they ever ask for.

Yeah well....not all investments go right. That's the nature of it.
jaguars are worth over 2 billion. he bought them for like 750 million

i think he knows more than you Smile
Jackson, and Church I see gone at season end on defense
Ah well in that case every owner is making money hand over fist, and every player is making more money than any of us for playing a game, and every FO employee is making more money than any of us for not even playing the game. I guess we shouldn't feel sorry for any of them ever.
we should feel sorry for khan. he put faith into his leaders to build a winning team

it back fired

just because he made money doesn’t mean he got what he wanted

i think our young players don’t buy into the old school mentality. and the coaches lost the locker room
For a guy like Khan, money is irrelevant. He's got more than he could ever spend in a lifetime. For him, it's about winning. Make no mistake about it - he wants a winning team in both soccer and football.

The Jags are just cursed.
This depends on how confident they are in the younger players I think. TBH Church should have been benched in this game, maybe Harrison isn't ready? Will they think so year 2? Smoot being complete trash as a 3rd round pick and Taven showing no signs of life might make them keep Malik. Hard question to answer right now.
Smoot had a run from behind tackle on the RB today. I believe he will be on the team
(11-11-2018, 06:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Jackson, and Church I see gone at season end on defense

Agree.
Greene will be gone sooner.
(11-11-2018, 06:25 PM)old_man Wrote: [ -> ]Smoot had a run from behind tackle on the RB today.  I believe he will be on the team

A run from behind tackle is cool and all, but he's pretty trash for a 3rd rounder.
(11-11-2018, 06:24 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]This depends on how confident they are in the younger players I think. TBH Church should have been benched in this game, maybe Harrison isn't ready? Will they think so year 2? Smoot being complete trash as a 3rd round pick and Taven showing no signs of life might make them keep Malik. Hard question to answer right now.

I agree that it's too early to tell.

I think the priority should get a new DC. It all starts with that. Once we do and know which scheme they have in mind to run then we should understand better.

On offense it's another story, Cann is gone, Parnell is gone, Yeldon (unfortunately) is gone, Moncrief wil be gone, I hope they keep ASJ.We'll see.
(11-11-2018, 06:35 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2018, 06:24 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]This depends on how confident they are in the younger players I think. TBH Church should have been benched in this game, maybe Harrison isn't ready? Will they think so year 2? Smoot being complete trash as a 3rd round pick and Taven showing no signs of life might make them keep Malik. Hard question to answer right now.

I agree that it's too early to tell.

I think the priority should get a new DC.
It all starts with that. Once we do and know which scheme they have in mind to run then we should understand better.

On offense it's another story, Cann is gone, Parnell is gone, Yeldon (unfortunately) is gone, Moncrief wil be gone, I hope they keep ASJ.We'll see.
Oooooooooh yeah, now we're talking.
I don't know how much a new DC would help. Our D players are just flat out getting beat, we lack several players on D at multiple levels.

There were multiple players that were way to confident in there play, typical for a young group.

We can use an upgrade at all levels on D.
The team lacks leadership on both sides of the ball