Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Church vs Harrison
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know pff can have flawed ratings but when it matches the eye test, on top of Harrison being our future at SS, coming from Alabama, give the guy the starting experience so he will be that much advanced for the start of next year.  He us getting a decent amount of time on the field but I would like to see him get the starting experience.  I know Church isn't the only issue on defense, but he is a big one.  He is the weakest link on D right now imo.

Church is the 79th ranked safety on pff which matches his play

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pla...hurch/5924

Harrison

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pla...ison/49206
If the Jags drop two more games - I'd definitely start getting Harrison reps at SS, and I'd be fine if they did so before that as well.

I kind-of wish they'd used that dime package more against Indy where Harrison and Hayden are your two inside DBs.
I think that could help defend teams that want to attack zone coverage with multiple TEs. And it's sure to happen again.
So out of the 64 starting safeties.... Church is 79th.

Doesn't sound good Bob.
(11-16-2018, 11:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jags drop two more games - I'd definitely start getting Harrison reps at SS, and I'd be fine if they did so before that as well.

I kind-of wish they'd used that dime package more against Indy where Harrison and Hayden are your two inside DBs.
I think that could help defend teams that want to attack zone coverage with multiple TEs. And it's sure to happen again.

So start him in 2 more games when we are pretty much mathematically out of the playoffs?
(11-16-2018, 11:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2018, 11:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jags drop two more games - I'd definitely start getting Harrison reps at SS, and I'd be fine if they did so before that as well.

So start him in 2 more games when we are pretty much mathematically out of the playoffs?

Yeah. I mean - the odds are stacked against us anyway with all the injuries, so I think they could take the chance now, but I doubt they will. 

He's been working at "big nickel" all year thus far, so I don't know whether the coaches think he may need some time to transition back to a safety role or not. Some guys reset easily - others take a minute to transition.  Hard to know what their eval is on him at this point. 

I think he'd do fine replacing Church right now minus a few rookie lapses here and there. I just doubt they are going to move him there until the team is mathematically out of it.
(11-16-2018, 12:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2018, 11:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]So start him in 2 more games when we are pretty much mathematically out of the playoffs?

Yeah. I mean - the odds are stacked against us anyway with all the injuries, so I think they could take the chance now, but I doubt they will. 

He's been working at "big nickel" all year thus far, so I don't know whether the coaches think he may need some time to transition back to a safety role or not. Some guys reset easily - others take a minute to transition.  Hard to know what their eval is on him at this point. 

I think he'd do fine replacing Church right now minus a few rookie lapses here and there. I just doubt they are going to move him there until the team is mathematically out of it.

The coaches might feel that way but it doesnt mean its the right decision.  These coaches have made a lot of mistakes over the last year and most of them they have admitted to.  I agree that the coaches probably wont put Harrison at starting SS but it doesnt mean its the right decision just because the coaches arent doing it.  He is much faster than Church and he might be able to add a little spark.  I doubt he would make the mental errors and take the bad angles Church does as well but we will never know until the coaches give him a shot.
I would be okay with church getting replaced. It just feels like the defense tightens up when Harrison gets in there.
(11-16-2018, 11:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]So out of the 64 starting safeties.... Church is 79th.

Doesn't sound good Bob.

Lol.... kind of like when Gabbert was ranked #68 when he started for us.  On the bright side, he'd be ranked #4 in the list of 3rd string QBs
Here is my assessment  Smile

RONNIE HARRISON
STRENGTHS
Possesses outstanding combination of size and speed
Quick pedal with easy transitions in two-deep
Is comfortable and experienced playing high or low safety
Has good makeup speed
Doesn't get overly focused on routes
Finds time to read quarterback's eyes
Capable of quality man coverage in certain matchups
Plays with route anticipation and ability to transition quickly to match
Plays under the route and uses his length to knock passes away
Physical hitter with punishment as his default setting
Takes rapid downhill approach as high safety in run supporter
Rangy with ability to leap into a long-distance tackle when pursuit angle goes askew
Quick to punch and discard blockers
Handles work near the line of scrimmage with desired level of aggression
Has blitz talent

WEAKNESSES
Gets antsy and too willing to overreact
Will lose leverage with pursuit angles and allows talented running backs opportunities to beat him back inside
Needs to play under control and with better patience in open field
Complex routes can bait him into jumping an early break
Has the necessary speed to play over the top but doesn't always access it on consistent basis
Can be too lackadaisical when rolling from one spot to another pre-snap
Has too many lead shoulder hits as a tackler
Has to become more willing to wrap rather than strike to prevent some of his missed tackles
Angular frame can take the worst of it in head-on collisions

BARRY CHURCH
STRENGTHS
terrific bulk and great overall size for the safety position
extremely productive player who received multiple all-conference accolades.
Exhibits tremendous toughness and loves playing down in the box.
Utilizes his impressive instincts to quickly locate the football and make plays in run support.
Does an excellent job with his block protection for a safety and can disengage from offensive lineman.

WEAKNESSES
Lacks the necessary range to be relied upon in coverage at the next level.
His change of direction in space must improve, and he can get broken down in space and miss tackles.
Lacks the man coverage skills to match up against slot receivers, running backs and receiving tight ends
I think Harrison probably should have started the season over Church based on the fact that everyone knew the "weak link" in a very good secondary last year was Church and we saw early that Harrison was so good the coaches wanted to figure out a way to get him on the field more often (the Big Nickel).

Well... start him... then he'll be on the field more often.
Church can be the "big nickel/dime" sub in.
Don't rush him and ruin him, like this team has done to many a promising player in the past. Let Church continue to stink it up for the rest of the year as the starter, with Harrison filling a role and rotating in and out. Church's release after the season is inevitable.
(11-16-2018, 02:48 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Don't rush him and ruin him, like this team has done to many a promising player in the past. Let Church continue to stink it up for the rest of the year as the starter, with Harrison filling a role and rotating in and out. Church's release after the season is inevitable.

Harrison doesnt play QB.  Safety and QB are a little different
You guys are completely ignoring that the coaches all love Church. He's the, what did Marrone call him? The Peacekeeper. He ain't coming out.
I agree that Harrison should start. Or at least that Church should get benched. But like flsprtsgod said, coaches love Church and I guess we'll keep seeing him as the starter till the end of the season when finally he will be cut.
They didn't take Harrison in RD3 just for the hell of it. Church's contract is good with us through 2020. I don't know if there's any penalties or clauses in the contract if they choose to cut ways with him in 2019. But either way. Harrison getting the nod over him at any point this year or flat out during the off season next year shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
Was about a half a season to late, Harrison made a huge difference today in our defense

Anyone that didnt want this to happen when this thread was made needs to lay off the drugs
Harrison is clearly better. Showed good speed on the sack
The unsportsmanlike penalty CANNOT happen and I thought Church was coming in for good after that, but overall Harrison is better all around IMO. Church did some great things for us last year but he’s blown a ton of coverages this year. Harrison is the future
(12-02-2018, 06:24 PM)jagboss Wrote: [ -> ]Harrison is clearly better. Showed good speed on the sack

Pretty much every aspect

(12-02-2018, 06:27 PM)Fred Jones-Brunell Wrote: [ -> ]The unsportsmanlike penalty CANNOT happen and I thought Church was coming in for good after that, but overall Harrison is better all around IMO. Church did some great things for us last year but he’s blown a ton of coverages this year. Harrison is the future

Blown coverages,  takes horrible angles, and not a leader.  He was the 1 vet with the young gus, Harrison included in the incident in the UK.  Church is the last guy we need our young players to look up to.
Harrison (minus the penalty that I didn't actually see at the stadium) played very well.

Good pick - and I'd have been cool had they started him three weeks ago. Either way - glad he's showing out.
Pages: 1 2