Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Woman sues hospital for resuscitating her
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Woman sues hospital for resuscitating her

A new lawsuit filed on behalf of a local woman alleges that Santa Fe’s Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical was negligent twice while she was in the hospital in 2016.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1247179/woman...est-2.html
The hospital staff violated her DNR. If they were informed of such, they should be sued.
(11-20-2018, 11:08 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]The hospital staff violated her DNR. If they were informed of such, they should be sued.

Agreed. I have a DNR, because if I get so bad that my quality of life is compromised, I want them to just let me go. If anyone were to ever violate my DNR, I'd sue them to.
(11-21-2018, 01:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2018, 11:08 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]The hospital staff violated her DNR. If they were informed of such, they should be sued.

Agreed. I have a DNR, because if I get so bad that my quality of life is compromised, I want them to just let me go. If anyone were to ever violate my DNR, I'd sue them to.

Thats sounds more like a living will (i.e. I don't want to kept on a ventilator more than 72 hours, don't want a feeding tube, etc). A DNR is a 'if I die unexpectedly, just let me go' kind of thing, and really isn't directly connected to quality of life (although people with poor quality of life, often have DNRs and some nursing homes have DNR as a requirement). You can have a living will without being DNR, and you can have a DNR without a living will (although this doesn't usually happen).

Whenever I talk about with people about this the conversation for DNR is usually presented as 'If you have a heart attack in 2 hours when no one but me and you are in the room, do you want me to do compression and try to bring you back, or just let you go.' Its much simpler than a living will, which has many levels of care involved.
Wow first appearances that hospital screwed up big time. The ER is gonna take some heat over that. I get why they did resusitate (i.e. they caused the problem, and the death wouldn't have happened if they didn't screw up, plus the ER does codes quite frequently and may not have been fully aware of her status). Actually, they were up the creek the moment they gave her dilaudid. Don't resusitate and the family sues you for malpractice, do resusictate and you violate the DNR. Actually, I don't know how that patient got dilaudid without her knowing. I don't know any nurses who give dilaudid without telling their patients what they are giving.

This guy hits it one the head tho on why this happens "Admittedly, we don't have two sides of the story here. But as an Intensive Care physician (and one who works in a Catholic system), there is something about this article that I find very offensive. First, OF COURSE we follow 'do not resucitate' orders that patients have given to honor their wishes. Second, despite all of our good intentions, sometimes we don't have all the facts, or they are buried somewhere in an electronic medical record, or we get direct countermand of the DNR order by family when a patient has stated otherwise. Seconds count in a cardiac arrest, and during those times when confusion reigns, we ALWAYS err on the side of saving the patient. Now again... we don't really know what happened here, and the healthcare team surely could have screwed up. But it's hard to believe they acted with malice toward this lady - and fo saving her life, what does she do? SHE SUES THEM! Seems to me that this could be settled with a simple 'sorry' statement, not a freakin' lawsuit!!! I smell a rat..."