Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: U of Florida offers 24/7 counseling for students ‘troubled’ by Halloween costumes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

U of Florida offers 24/7 counseling for students ‘troubled’ by Halloween costumes

The University of Florida wants students to know that if they’re offended or scared by Halloween, there’s counselors on hand to walk them through the traumatic experience.

“October brings fall weather and Halloween,” the university wrote in a blog titled “Halloween Costume Choices” posted to its website Monday.

http://defund.com/u-florida-offers-247-c...m=facebook

Wow. When I was a young teenager I dressed up as a hobo and no one thought twice about it. Good grief I miss the days when people had intestinal fortitude and didn't really give a rat's rear end what other folks did because it was all in the name of fun in the case of Halloween. And Christmas as well. These holidays were fun back in my youth. 

And the idea that schools, not just colleges, have response teams for stuff just blows my mind. If we had a problem we took care of it ourselves or we took it to the guidance counselor. I am a sensitive natured person and things do get to me from time to time, but I deal with it. Depending on what the issue is depends on how I deal with it. I'm not running to some 'advocate' to pour out my sorrows. I suck it up and drive on. 

It's the snowflake generation.

Quote:It's the snowflake generation.

My favorite social justice warrior, JIB.  Triggered once again.  It's like clockwork.

I can't wait till you blow a gasket when the war on Christmas comes...
Quote:My favorite social justice warrior, JIB. Triggered once again. It's like clockwork.

I can't wait till you blow a gasket when the war on Christmas comes...

Shouldn't you be in counseling? We're only a couple weeks away.
Quote:Shouldn't you be in counseling? We're only a couple weeks away.
There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I think we know which one we're dealing with here and it's not ignorance. You can't fix stupid. 
Quote:There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I think we know which one we're dealing with here and it's not ignorance. You can't fix stupid.

Damn.. I just wanted to wing em.. You shot between the eyes haha
I encourage anyone to read the article before popping off.

Drifter makes it seem like they set up counseling specifically for those troubled by the costumes.  The counseling is available 24/7 all year long, for this and other reasons.

The article is actually a polite request to be sensitive to other people's beliefs.  I would imagine that means not dressing not to offend not just believers of your own religion, but others as well.  Don't dress as offensive racial stereotypes, either.

Essentially, the article asks students not to be jerks to one another.  Nothing snowflake about that, but good luck convincing everyone in this very mean-spirited year.

JIB needs his counselling to control the rage when somebody doesn't fully respect the anthem.

Snowflakes everywhere
So I guess me dressing up as my ex wife would offend the sensibilities of the Feminazi's :yes:

Quote:I encourage anyone to read the article before popping off.

Drifter makes it seem like they set up counseling specifically for those troubled by the costumes. The counseling is available 24/7 all year long, for this and other reasons.

The article is actually a polite request to be sensitive to other people's beliefs. I would imagine that means not dressing not to offend not just believers of your own religion, but others as well. Don't dress as offensive racial stereotypes, either.

Essentially, the article asks students not to be jerks to one another. Nothing snowflake about that, but good luck convincing everyone in this very mean-spirited year.

Sean Connery said that if he was a US Citizen, he'd vote Trump.
Quote:Damn.. I just wanted to wing em.. You shot between the eyes haha

You should know better by now. Lol.
Quote:You should know better by now. Lol.

aye.. I should lol
Quote:aye.. I should lol

I have a limit on how much crap I'm willing to deal with. He hit that limit and I was done. Period. I don't go out of my way to be mean or call people out but I will call a spade a spade.
Quote:I encourage anyone to read the article before popping off.

Drifter makes it seem like they set up counseling specifically for those troubled by the costumes.  The counseling is available 24/7 all year long, for this and other reasons.

The article is actually a polite request to be sensitive to other people's beliefs.  I would imagine that means not dressing not to offend not just believers of your own religion, but others as well.  Don't dress as offensive racial stereotypes, either.

Essentially, the article asks students not to be jerks to one another.  Nothing snowflake about that, but good luck convincing everyone in this very mean-spirited year.
I did read the article.

As a Christian would I want to see people dressed as Satan or devil worshippers? No, I wouldn't. Would I get my panties in a wad, wring my hands and freak out and be offended? No. Why? Because other than the obvious black-face, KKK, Nazis,etc., people should be able to dress up and have fun- without malice. I guess that's one of the problems these days, too much malicious intent which puts a damper on things.
Quote: Because other than the obvious black-face, KKK, Nazis,etc., people should be able to dress up and have fun- without malice. I guess that's one of the problems these days, too much malicious intent which puts a damper on things.

I think your excellent point is exactly what the article was stating.
Quote:I have a limit on how much crap I'm willing to deal with. He hit that limit and I was done. Period. I don't go out of my way to be mean or call people out but I will call a spade a spade.

LOL.  The limit of crap you take is larger than the outhouse you live in.  As a trump supporter, all you do is wallow in the muck.  But yeah, I'm so devastated by the brutal beat down of your 5 cent argument.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Quote:I did read the article.

As a Christian would I want to see people dressed as Satan or devil worshippers? No, I wouldn't. Would I get my panties in a wad, wring my hands and freak out and be offended? No. Why? Because other than the obvious black-face, KKK, Nazis,etc., people should be able to dress up and have fun- without malice. I guess that's one of the problems these days, too much malicious intent which puts a damper on things.

Malicious intent?  You mean like this:

[Image: 0buhepkdjqrx.jpg]
Quote:Malicious intent?  You mean like this:

[Image: 0buhepkdjqrx.jpg]

TAM getting triggered over a bumper sticker Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Meanwhile HRC supporters are burning down private property that triggers them. I can see why the Muslims feel right at home with Democrats.
Quote:I think your excellent point is exactly what the article was stating.

I agree but people nowadays do seem to get offended much more easily than when I was coming up and that is what I was reacting to, I suppose. The fact that there are special teams of people in schools and colleges to help folks who are simply offended by things that just don't even make a blip on my radar (and probably most people my age) tells me one of two things. Someone, and not me, has raised a generation of super sensitive kids who are afraid of their own shadow, or we have raised a bunch of hate filled kids with malicious intent. It looks like a bit of both and that's a very sad state of affairs.
Pages: 1 2 3