Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How Do You Feel About Marcel Dareus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Curious to hear your take on a former Bill, Marcel Dareus.  Last year, his name brought our strong feelings in the Bills fan base.  Some fans were angry that he was traded and in true Bills fan-fashion lamented the trade.  “We never should have traded Marcel.  Waaaa waaa waaaa.”  

My take is that Marcel is a complicated individual with a troubled and sad past.  In Buffalo he had a few great years, but seemed to lose motivation once he got a new monster deal after an All-Pro year.  We saw Marcel get suspended multiple times and give a poor effort in the majority of his games.  It was clear his attitude and performance wasn’t going to last in Buffalo.  The 5th round kick recieved was a poor return but they were trading a player who’s play did not warrant his monster contract.  They were trading his contract essentially.  

In short, I feel that Marcel is an average DT who is getting paid like an All-Pro.  I think he had a few good moments last season, but I thought the Jacksonville defense would have been fine without him.  Taking on his contract, definitely hurt some of the options in Free Agency.

If I’m Jacksonville, I cut Dareus in 2019.  He would be a good rotational player on the DL, but again is he worth compromising your salary cap?
he wasted a year of abry jones development

get rid of him
He’s a top run stuffer. With the amount of money wrapped up in our defense and with more deals upcoming, he will probably be a cap casualty coming soon. Along with Malik Jackson.

Just shows you can spend all the money ou want, but they still have to make plays

-Chris Carter
I doubt Josh Allen cruises to nearly 100 yards rushing if Dareus was playing. Our run defence was abysmal last year until he turned up.
(11-26-2018, 06:11 PM)JagSwag Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt Josh Allen cruises to nearly 100 yards rushing if Dareus was playing. Our run defence was abysmal last year until he turned up.

Possibly.  Part of the reason Blake ran so well against the Bills in the 10-3 playoff “classic” was because the Bills were getting push up front.  It allows for easy lanes for the QB to run through.  

Do you really think that his play warrants his phat contract?  IMO you don’t really need him

(11-26-2018, 06:14 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2018, 06:11 PM)JagSwag Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt Josh Allen cruises to nearly 100 yards rushing if Dareus was playing. Our run defence was abysmal last year until he turned up.

Possibly.  Part of the reason Blake ran so well against the Bills in the 10-3 playoff “classic” was because the Bills were getting NO push up front with guys like Adolphus Washington at DT.  It allows for easy lanes for the QB to run through.  

Do you really think that his play warrants his phat contract?  IMO you don’t really need him
Dareus has actually played really well for us and makes a major difference in the run game. I suspect that he will outlive Malik Jackson this summer. I wish he was out there yesterday.
I'm fine with him.
I like him. I have liked him since we traded for him last year. Just don't know what it means for him here after this season is up. Same can be said for Jackson. I have noticed that they've been playing Bryan inside more which was more of his natural fit from his time with the Gators. I guess they gave up on him being Campbell Jr. for the time being.

But that could be a possibility in 2019. They kick Jackson or Dareus to the curb. Bryan permanently moves inside to pick-up one of those spots. And maybe they can hold out hope for one more year with Campbell until they can find a more suitable DE to replace him.
(11-26-2018, 06:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I like him. I have liked him since we traded for him last year. Just don't know what it means for him here after this season is up. Same can be said for Jackson. I have noticed that they've been playing Bryan inside more which was more of his natural fit from his time with the Gators. I guess they gave up on him being Campbell Jr. for the time being.

But that could be a possibility in 2019. They kick Jackson or Dareus to the curb. Bryan permanently moves inside to pick-up one of those spots. And maybe they can hold out hope for one more year with Campbell until they can find a more suitable DE to replace him.

Bingo.

I think both Jackson and Dareus get the boot though. It’s hard to justify the amount of money tied up in the defensive line with the lack of production this year.
(11-26-2018, 06:45 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2018, 06:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I like him. I have liked him since we traded for him last year. Just don't know what it means for him here after this season is up. Same can be said for Jackson. I have noticed that they've been playing Bryan inside more which was more of his natural fit from his time with the Gators. I guess they gave up on him being Campbell Jr. for the time being.

Bingo.

I think both Jackson and Dareus get the boot though. It’s hard to justify the amount of money tied up in the defensive line with the lack of production this year.
The question though is do they hold any real trade value? As a Jags fan, I would say so. But their contracts are huge and they haven't produced a whole lot this year. I would hate to just cut them and not get anything in return (not sure if they would qualify for comp picks by cutting them).
(11-26-2018, 07:01 PM)Ijvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2018, 06:45 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Bingo.

The question though is do they hold any real trade value? As a Jags fan, I would say so. But their contracts are huge and they haven't produced a whole lot this year. I would hate to just cut them and not get anything in return (not sure if they would qualify for comp picks by cutting them).

From experience I can tell you Dareus does not have any trade value.  
I think he is underappreciated by the majority of the fanbase. For what he gives you in the run game he also provides decent pass rush. Not a lot of players that can do that. He's also not been in trouble since coming to JAX.

In the wake of Bryan getting more snaps at 3T I think Dareus stays and Malik goes. If any go.
I am hoping they restructure his deal to a more friendly one and keep him long term. I like Jackson, but Jackson would be my pick to go. They are both young, but Dareus would be the choice because he can play both the run and the pass as stated above by Senor Fantastico.
(11-26-2018, 06:08 PM)ramseyx20 Wrote: [ -> ]he wasted a year of abry jones development

get rid of him
(11-26-2018, 07:05 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I think he is underappreciated by the majority of the fanbase. For what he gives you in the run game he also provides decent pass rush. Not a lot of players that can do that. He's also not been in trouble since coming to JAX.

In the wake of Bryan getting more snaps at 3T I think Dareus stays and Malik goes. If any go.

This, if he restructed as said, it would be that much better
(11-26-2018, 06:01 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Curious to hear your take on a former Bill, Marcel Dareus.  Last year, his name brought our strong feelings in the Bills fan base.  Some fans were angry that he was traded and in true Bills fan-fashion lamented the trade.  “We never should have traded Marcel.  Waaaa waaa waaaa.”  

My take is that Marcel is a complicated individual with a troubled and sad past.  In Buffalo he had a few great years, but seemed to lose motivation once he got a new monster deal after an All-Pro year.  We saw Marcel get suspended multiple times and give a poor effort in the majority of his games.  It was clear his attitude and performance wasn’t going to last in Buffalo.  The 5th round kick recieved was a poor return but they were trading a player who’s play did not warrant his monster contract.  They were trading his contract essentially.  

In short, I feel that Marcel is an average DT who is getting paid like an All-Pro.  I think he had a few good moments last season, but I thought the Jacksonville defense would have been fine without him.  Taking on his contract, definitely hurt some of the options in Free Agency.

If I’m Jacksonville, I cut Dareus in 2019.  He would be a good rotational player on the DL, but again is he worth compromising your salary cap?
What I don’t understand is why do you Buffalo fans to continue to post on our site? We aren’t in the same division and from all that I’ve seen since the playoff game last year is how much the Bills fans dislike Jacksonville, team, city and county.
(11-26-2018, 07:05 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I think he is underappreciated by the majority of the fanbase. For what he gives you in the run game he also provides decent pass rush. Not a lot of players that can do that. He's also not been in trouble since coming to JAX.

This.
Together with Campbell he has probably been the most consistent player on the Dline, whenever he's not in the run defense takes a step back.
Unfortunately Malik hasn't performed as expected this season and he has a much higher cap hit next season compared to Dareus. If they could restructure (doubt they will) great, otherwise it makes more sense to keep Marcell. Cheaper and has shown to be more important on our Dline.
(11-27-2018, 01:56 AM)WVUJagsman Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2018, 06:01 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Curious to hear your take on a former Bill, Marcel Dareus.  Last year, his name brought our strong feelings in the Bills fan base.  Some fans were angry that he was traded and in true Bills fan-fashion lamented the trade.  “We never should have traded Marcel.  Waaaa waaa waaaa.”  

What I don’t understand is why do you Buffalo fans to continue to post on our site? We aren’t in the same division and from all that I’ve seen since the playoff game last year is how much the Bills fans dislike Jacksonville, team, city and county.

I get it, can you imagine what a site full of Bills Mouthia posters is like?

Dareus is the key run defender on our team who, unlike most other team's guys, actually gives us pass rush from the nose spot. His contract is, I believe, salary only for the next 4 years, so a team with some space and a need could be interested but I'd rather keep him.
Dareus is the most likely DL to return next season.  Malik Jackson is almost certainly gone, and Calais Campbell is simply going to be one year older and he's about a $10 M cap savings.  You keep Abry Jones and Marcell Dareus as the starters at DT, rotate in Bryan on passing downs, and Smoot takes over at the other end spot.  Draft is deep with DT's anyway.
DAREUS IS FINE AND WAS A KEY INGREDIENT TO LAST YEARS SUCCESS. Our problem on Defense is with blown coverages and having an Offense that can sustain a drive. Dareus is the least of our problems and was worth every single penny that we spent on him. Regarding 2019, we'll need to do some car-related moves so perhaps he goes but without him, I don't think 2017 plays out the way it did.
Pages: 1 2