Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Query for the more educated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So....the era of Cody K is upon us.  So what does that mean for Blake?  I mean, With seat 135, row BB lining up at LT at any given notice, it's not looking good for the kid lasting 5 weeks.  Do we finally bring up Tanner Lee from the PS and sacrifice him at the alter to ensure BB5 no longer comes has a shot at getting game time?  Bring someone in off the streets? (Landry Jones? Matt Moore?) What do we do?  Do we do the definition of insanity: Plug Blake back in and expect a different result?
You're kidding right? The season is lost. Why would they pick up another player? And Lee is in no way ready to play. They'll just put Bortles back in. Only way they pick up another QB or promote Lee is if both Bortles and Kessler get hurt.
(11-27-2018, 10:59 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]You're kidding right?  The season is lost.  Why would they pick up another player?  And Lee is in no way ready to play.  They'll just put Bortles back in.  Only way they pick up another QB or promote Lee is if both Bortles and Kessler get hurt.

No, i'm not kidding.  I'm asking a question.  If they plan on jettisoning Bortles after the season, why risk injuring him and guaranteeing that much money next year if he can't pass a physical if he goes out and Bridgewater's his knee?  Sit him down, bring in a Landry Jones/Matt Moore for a vet prorate, cut Bortles and same some cash.
If Bortles isn't reinserted as the starter before the end of this season, it's probably a safe bet they've decided to eat the dead cap number next year and release him (or trade him if possible) this offseason. Can't imagine he's benched the remainder of this season, but opens up camp next year as the starter. If he's benched the remainder of the season, it's to protect the offsets on his guaranteed amount in his deal next year. If he were to suffer an injury, those offsets might wind up meaningless.
(11-27-2018, 11:19 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]If Bortles isn't reinserted as the starter before the end of this season, it's probably a safe bet they've decided to eat the dead cap number next year and release him (or trade him if possible) this offseason.  Can't imagine he's benched the remainder of this season, but opens up camp next year as the starter.  If he's benched the remainder of the season, it's to protect the offsets on his guaranteed amount in his deal next year.  If he were to suffer an injury, those offsets might wind up meaningless.

This.  If he doesn't see a snap for the rest of the year, it's hard to see him seeing another snap for this team....ever. I'm guessing the next few days on the waiver wire will be telling.
(11-27-2018, 11:03 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 10:59 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]You're kidding right?  The season is lost.  Why would they pick up another player?  And Lee is in no way ready to play.  They'll just put Bortles back in.  Only way they pick up another QB or promote Lee is if both Bortles and Kessler get hurt.

No, i'm not kidding.  I'm asking a question.  If they plan on jettisoning Bortles after the season, why risk injuring him and guaranteeing that much money next year if he can't pass a physical if he goes out and Bridgewater's his knee?  Sit him down, bring in a Landry Jones/Matt Moore for a vet prorate, cut Bortles and same some cash.

"If the Jaguars want to cut him after this season, it would cost them $16.5 million in dead money, though that figure drops to $9.5 million after June 1."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25385...el-hackett
(11-27-2018, 11:37 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 11:03 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]No, i'm not kidding.  I'm asking a question.  If they plan on jettisoning Bortles after the season, why risk injuring him and guaranteeing that much money next year if he can't pass a physical if he goes out and Bridgewater's his knee?  Sit him down, bring in a Landry Jones/Matt Moore for a vet prorate, cut Bortles and same some cash.

"If the Jaguars want to cut him after this season, it would cost them $16.5 million in dead money, though that figure drops to $9.5 million after June 1."

And if he get's injured and can't pass a physical before then?  Then he's on the hook for 2019 and a 21,000,000 albatross.
Unless Kessler is hurt, I don't see them bringing anybody else into the fray. Blake will be the backup for the remainder of the season. If Kessler goes down, somebody will be brought in, but I imagine they would be serving as Blake's backup. I can't see Marrone or Milanovich hanging their future on a guy off the PS or street.
(11-27-2018, 11:45 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 11:37 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]"If the Jaguars want to cut him after this season, it would cost them $16.5 million in dead money, though that figure drops to $9.5 million after June 1."

And if he get's injured and can't pass a physical before then?  Then he's on the hook for 2019 and a 21,000,000 albatross.

I don't believe that's true.  If he's injured they could still cut him.  Cutting or trading him would have the Jags immediately recognize the remaining $10 million in signing bonus and he's got $6.5 million in guaranteed salary that they'd be on the hook for making his dead cap number $16.5 million for next year.  Blake would only actually receive the guarantee portion of his deal next year which is $6.5 million. The $21 million figure you're quoting is if he's on the roster next year and still on his current deal.

If he's cut or traded and is healthy, he should have no problem finding a back up role somewhere and based on looking at back up QB salaries in another thread he should be able to find a salary of at least $3 million in my opinion, perhaps more.  The offsets in his deal would take whatever salary he finds elsewhere and reduce that amount from the his dead cap number for the Jags up to the $6.5 million guarantee.  So if he were to find a $3 million deal somewhere else, his dead cap number here for next year would be $13.5 million and not $16.5 million.  If he were to find a temporary starting gig somewhere at say $12 million per year, then the entire 2019 $6.5 guarantee would shift to his new team leaving the Jags with a dead cap number of just $10 million.

The offsets were put in his deal for just this scenario that played out this year.  It was a smart decision to limit the damage of his contract on the cap next year, but it would have been smarter to just let him play on the 5th year option this year and make a determination to extend him or not after the first 5 or 6 games.

Mike Dirocco apparently missed the fact that there are offsets in his deal as I don't believe he mentioned them in his article linked above. Also, I'd like to see a further explanation of how his dead cap number drops to $9.5 million after June 1st because based on what I've seen that doesn't make sense to me.
The extension made was a complete idiotic move. They trade Fowler instead of picking up his 5th year option (I'm curious as to how many sacks we've had since his trade.....) and extend Blake hitting us hard on this year's cap.
I think I know where Dirocco is getting the $9.5 million figure. Blake's actual salary next year if he's on the team is $16 million. If you subtract the guarantee portion of $6.5 million you get his $9.5 million figure. So Blake not getting cut by the Jags has the Jags paying out an additional $9.5 million. Dirocco claiming Blake's cap number drops to $9.5 million after June 1st still seems to be a misunderstanding on his part. Perhaps he means the $6.5 million is already paid out or guaranteed by the team by June 1st so nothing can be done about that, but that Blake could still be cut before the season starts saving the team $9.5 million in real dollars. That still wouldn't reduce Blake's cap hit for 2019 though. I think Dirocco is mistaken here.
(11-27-2018, 12:17 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]The extension made was a complete idiotic move. They trade Fowler instead of picking up his 5th year option (I'm curious as to how many sacks we've had since his trade.....) and extend Blake hitting us hard on this year's cap.

They did the exact same idiotic move with Gus Bradley.

Gus had a 4 year contract and at the end of Year 3, we extended him through Year 5 even though he had 12 wins and 36 losses (while going 1-10 in September).  We ended up firing him with 2-games left in Year 4 which would have coincided with his original contract end date but we dumped and extra years salary in his pocket anyway.
(11-27-2018, 12:17 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]The extension made was a complete idiotic move. They trade Fowler instead of picking up his 5th year option (I'm curious as to how many sacks we've had since his trade.....) and extend Blake hitting us hard on this year's cap.

Yes and no. There was reason to believe he was turning the corner last year and even to start this year. No one (ok very few) expected him to regress so badly in a matter of weeks.
(11-27-2018, 01:27 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes and no. There was reason to believe he was turning the corner last year and even to start this year. No one (ok very few) expected him to regress so badly in a matter of weeks.

Bottom line, the coaches decision to go conservative in the 2nd half of the Patriots game cost the Jags a chance for the Super Bowl and $20 million on Blake's salary / 1 year extension.   They blamed themselves for tying Blake's hands AND subsequently rewarded him for potential (instead of performance).

Kind of crazy how we all know the game is over if we're down by 4+ with 5 minutes left, even if we have possession of the ball.
(11-27-2018, 12:48 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I think I know where Dirocco is getting the $9.5 million figure.  Blake's actual salary next year if he's on the team is $16 million.  If you subtract the guarantee portion of $6.5 million you get his $9.5 million figure.  So Blake not getting cut by the Jags has the Jags paying out an additional $9.5 million.  Dirocco claiming Blake's cap number drops to $9.5 million after June 1st still seems to be a misunderstanding on his part.  Perhaps he means the $6.5 million is already paid out or guaranteed by the team by June 1st so nothing can be done about that, but that Blake could still be cut before the season starts saving the team $9.5 million in real dollars.  That still wouldn't reduce Blake's cap hit for 2019 though.  I think Dirocco is mistaken here.

Cutting him after June 1st simply splits next year's dead money hit between the 2019 and 2020 seasons as I understand it.  Cut him before June 1st, and the whole thing counts against the 2019 cap.  As far as all the actual numbers go, I'm not motivated enough to figure it out.
Is it really that crazy to think Blake comes back and starts like 4 games to start the season before Herbert/Haskins/Lock/Grier takes over? Bortles wasn't killing the team until the injuries to the OL got insane. He's a nice insurance policy if the rookie got hurt. Obviously the team CAN win with Blake at QB if everything else goes right, not sure about a guy like Kessler or Lee. Everyone's assuming he's gone, but the previously outlined scenario seems plausible to me
(11-27-2018, 05:08 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really that crazy to think Blake comes back and starts like 4 games to start the season before Herbert/Haskins/Lock/Grier takes over? Bortles wasn't killing the team until the injuries to the OL got insane. He's a nice insurance policy if the rookie got hurt. Obviously the team CAN win with Blake at QB if everything else goes right, not sure about a guy like Kessler or Lee. Everyone's assuming he's gone, but the previously outlined scenario seems plausible to me

Pretty sure Blake killed this team in the KC game by throwing 4 ints, including that one glorious pick 6 into the hands of the KC defender who walked untouched 15 yards the other way into the end zone.  Weeks 5-7 the O line injuries hadn't become completely ridiculous yet but he wasn't doing much of ANYTHING when it came to moving the ball.  Short of the Pats, Jets, and Colts game (I blame that one on Greene), that's 3 out of 11 games where Blake put the team in a good position to win.  Every other time....we were already playing from behind.
(11-27-2018, 10:52 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]So....the era of Cody K is upon us.  So what does that mean for Blake?  I mean, With seat 135, row BB lining up at LT at any given notice, it's not looking good for the kid lasting 5 weeks.  Do we finally bring up Tanner Lee from the PS and sacrifice him at the alter to ensure BB5 no longer comes has a shot at getting game time?  Bring someone in off the streets? (Landry Jones? Matt Moore?) What do we do?  Do we do the definition of insanity: Plug Blake back in and expect a different result?

I don't think we go back to Bortles at this point. He'll still be on the team as the backup, and he might get the starting job back if Kessler is hurt. I don't think the team would sign Landry Jones again purely to keep Bortles on the sideline, and Tanner Lee is nowhere near ready to play.
(11-27-2018, 05:20 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 05:08 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really that crazy to think Blake comes back and starts like 4 games to start the season before Herbert/Haskins/Lock/Grier takes over? Bortles wasn't killing the team until the injuries to the OL got insane. He's a nice insurance policy if the rookie got hurt. Obviously the team CAN win with Blake at QB if everything else goes right, not sure about a guy like Kessler or Lee. Everyone's assuming he's gone, but the previously outlined scenario seems plausible to me

Pretty sure Blake killed this team in the KC game by throwing 4 ints, including that one glorious pick 6 into the hands of the KC defender who walked untouched 15 yards the other way into the end zone.  Weeks 5-7 the O line injuries hadn't become completely ridiculous yet but he wasn't doing much of ANYTHING when it came to moving the ball.  Short of the Pats, Jets, and Colts game (I blame that one on Greene), that's 3 out of 11 games where Blake put the team in a good position to win.  Every other time....we were already playing from behind.

Well he wasn't killing them to the point they were 3-1 I mean. Don't get it twisted he's been unwatchably awful since probably the Pats game, but I'm just saying $16.5 million is a lot to eat and you could do much worse if the rookie got hurt. I definitely want a 1st rd rookie next year (I don't think there is any other option really) and I can just see there either being a competition in camp between the two or Blake starting a few games ala Tyrod Taylor this year. Everyone is assuming he's cut ASAP and I'm just not seeing it
(11-27-2018, 05:38 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 05:20 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure Blake killed this team in the KC game by throwing 4 ints, including that one glorious pick 6 into the hands of the KC defender who walked untouched 15 yards the other way into the end zone.  Weeks 5-7 the O line injuries hadn't become completely ridiculous yet but he wasn't doing much of ANYTHING when it came to moving the ball.  Short of the Pats, Jets, and Colts game (I blame that one on Greene), that's 3 out of 11 games where Blake put the team in a good position to win.  Every other time....we were already playing from behind.

Well he wasn't killing them to the point they were 3-1 I mean. Don't get it twisted he's been unwatchably awful since probably the Pats game, but I'm just saying $16.5 million is a lot to eat and you could do much worse if the rookie got hurt. I definitely want a 1st rd rookie next year (I don't think there is any other option really) and I can just see there either being a competition in camp between the two or Blake starting a few games ala Tyrod Taylor this year. Everyone is assuming he's cut ASAP and I'm just not seeing it

He'll either be traded or, more likely, cut as designated as a June 1 release. I'm still of the opinion that if Gabbert was worth a six, Bortles is worth at least a four, but good luck getting anything for him with that contract.
Pages: 1 2