Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Paul Posluszny - Line Backer Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think the Jaguars should explore the possibility of getting Poz on the defensive staff next year. The LB's have been the main issue on defense this year, and his presence is clearly missed. With his intimate knowledge of Jack & Smith's skill sets, I think adding him makes a ton of sense.
(11-27-2018, 11:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the Jaguars should explore the possibility of getting Poz on the defensive staff next year. The LB's have been the main issue on defense this year, and his presence is clearly missed. With his intimate knowledge of Jack & Smith's skill sets, I think adding him makes a ton of sense.

He has to WANT to coach though....
(11-27-2018, 11:27 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 11:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the Jaguars should explore the possibility of getting Poz on the defensive staff next year. The LB's have been the main issue on defense this year, and his presence is clearly missed. With his intimate knowledge of Jack & Smith's skill sets, I think adding him makes a ton of sense.

True. Not sure what he is currently doing, or where he even currently lives, but it seems to make too much sense to not at least entertain.
(11-27-2018, 11:32 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 11:27 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]He has to WANT to coach though....

True. Not sure what he is currently doing, or where he even currently lives, but it seems to make too much sense to not at least entertain.

That it does.  Poz always made the most of his abilities and seemed like a coach on the field anyways.  I would not oppose the idea.
Poz would be a great LB coach.....or even a DC
he has the smarts and the background to be a good one
plus he could kick the crap out of any player that did stupid stuff.
(11-27-2018, 11:27 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]

No problem.
[Image: 17121923990_ba6b3b8fe6_b.jpg]

IIRC, Poz mentioned something about going back to school for, I believe, aeronautical engineering. He wanted to be involved with aviation.
(11-27-2018, 06:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 11:27 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]He has to WANT to coach though....

No problem.

IIRC, Poz mentioned something about going back to school for, I believe, aeronautical engineering. He wanted to be involved with aviation.

I think he'd want more than the $144 you're offering.
(11-27-2018, 06:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 06:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]No problem.

I think he'd want more than the $144 you're offering.

Oh, no problem. He would be pulling that in every week.
I don't know. You can coach these guys until you're blue in the face. They still have to read and react and not bite on any misdirection out there. I know we've seen a fair share of blown coverage's this season and we've had players out of position. But it's manageable. Last year's defense was making splash play after splash play after splash play. And they were getting after the opposing QB's more often.

This was a good test for Wash and this unit to see how they would react now with a full season of tape for opponents to study up on and dissect us here and there. We're still 8th overall and 5th overall in team defense in the AFC. 3rd against the pass. 16th against the run. And I believe we're still one of the better red zone defenses in the NFL as well.

The only real difference is just that. Less INT's, less Sack's, less splash plays on defense. And when you couple in the fact that this offense couldn't get anything going this year at all to give them time to rest in between sets it just spells disaster for them. I think they've done good enough job this year given all of that. What the future holds remains to be seen.

I don't know if Coughlin or whoever they bring into that front office will be able to keep everybody intact for another year or two. Or even if Wash will remain here. He could very well bolt for a new location once next month is over with and done. But there's enough talent at every level on this defense to where if a good coordinator or coach came in that they should be able to make things happen.

Paul being the LB coach I don't think makes that much more of a difference or impact here at all. Again, coaching and actually having to execute are two different things. And it's not like this defense didn't have it's [BLEEP] handed to it here and there last year with Paul in the line-up too.
Bring Poz back as a lb, he wasn't ready to retire anyway.
(11-27-2018, 06:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2018, 06:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]I think he'd want more than the $144 you're offering.

Oh, no problem. He would be pulling that in every week.

Wow! every week........even preseason and training camp?

Waitresses must get a special feeling when you sit in their section.
I think he still lives here in Jacksonville, at least he did during the offseason. Fiancee used to see him a lot at her work place.
Meh, Smith can get all the coaching he can get but he still can’t cover whilst in zone.
I always get a little weird when we talk about bringing our former players as coaches because it just feels like homerism. But Poz would be a great leader and possibly a great coach for our LB core. His departure I feel was a year earlier than it should have been. But coaching and leading as a player are different things. Not sure how he’d do in coaching, but I’m down to find out!
(11-28-2018, 02:20 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]I always get a little weird when we talk about bringing our former players as coaches because it just feels like homerism. But Poz would be a great leader and possibly a great coach for our LB core. His departure I feel was a year earlier than it should have been. But coaching and leading as a player are different things. Not sure how he’d do in coaching, but I’m down to find out!

It'd be hard to see how he could do worse than what we currently have.  The LBs are the weak link in our defense.
Poz should have been still on the roster. The FO missed in not finding a way to keep him on the field while also keeping him content. I do not believe that Poz was really contemplating retirement but also did not want to up-heave his family to go elsewhere.
(11-28-2018, 12:05 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]Poz should have been still on the roster. The FO missed in not finding a way to keep him on the field while also keeping him content. I do not believe that Poz was really contemplating retirement but also did not want to up-heave his family to go elsewhere.

Based on his comments I'd assumed his retirement was due to not wanting to get injured. Had a good run and quit while he was ahead. Shazier did suffer a career ending injury last year too, that should serve as a bit of a wake up call to anyone, especially a fellow Linebacker.