Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has Jacksonville ever had a Coach with Exstensive NFL Experience?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has Jacksonville ever had a Coach with exstensive NFL Experience?

This is something i would like a head coach who has a great deal of HC experience. Think of all the Coaches we have had including TC, they are first Time HC, excpt Marone a 2 yr experience as a lousy HC in Buffalo. I would like to see us bring in a well established Coach who does not look like a first time coach during games. I know there are not a lot out there and TC is now a coach with years of Exp i would like him to be HC or bring in someone who knows to call a TO if the play clock is running down or knows the situation on the field and doesn't punt on 4 and inches. Just some thoughts to think about.
Guys with a lot of HC exp are retreads that many posters will complain about.

And in today's NFL... we probably want the younger minds, the fresher guys that can relate to players and develop new ideas instead of sticking to what doesn't work (strong run game, big defense, blah blah blah)
Extensive
(11-27-2018, 04:14 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Extensive

+1!!
(11-27-2018, 04:14 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Guys with a lot of HC exp are retreads that many posters will complain about.

And in today's NFL... we probably want the younger minds, the fresher guys that can relate to players and develop new ideas instead of sticking to what doesn't work (strong run game, big defense, blah blah blah)

Amen.
I'm all for a young offensive minded coach. New ideas are needed in today's game. I've always been opposed to college coaches, but since the game is becoming more like college ball... mind as well give them a look.
(11-27-2018, 04:14 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Extensive

Too lazy to correct it mods can if they so choose, thanks for the correction though.
(11-27-2018, 04:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for a young offensive minded coach. New ideas are needed in today's game. I've always been opposed to college coaches, but since the game is becoming more like college ball... mind as well give them a look.

I mean, McVay clearly worked out.  But the coaches of the other two great teams in the NFL right now have been at this for a while.
(11-27-2018, 04:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for a young offensive minded coach. New ideas are needed in today's game. I've always been opposed to college coaches, but since the game is becoming more like college ball... mind as well give them a look.

I'm very hesitant about hiring a college coach. The only college coach at this point that I would even consider is Dabo Swinney and I'd much rather have a young NFL OC.
Kliff Kingsbury looks like the hot “inexperienced” guy this year.
(11-27-2018, 04:35 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Kliff Kingsbury looks like the hot “inexperienced” guy this year.

Didn't he just get fired by Texas Tech after 3 losing seasons in a row? Why would anyone want him?
(11-27-2018, 04:28 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]

I mean, McVay clearly worked out.  But the coaches of the other two great teams in the NFL right now have been at this for a while.

Of the eight active NFL head coaches who have won a Super Bowl five we’re in their first tenure as head coaches in the NFL and only Doug Pederson, who had been a high school HC, had been a head coach at any level.
Nope!!!!!!!
Someone said younger, like McVay, take it further, hire the best Madden gamer out there to be the next Jaguars HC.
(11-27-2018, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm very hesitant about hiring a college coach. The only college coach at this point that I would even consider is Dabo Swinney and I'd much rather have a young NFL OC.

I wouldn’t mind Lincoln Riley, if we’re going to give a college coach a shot, but I’d also prefer an NFL OC.
At least as an Offensive Coordinator I think Todd Haley deserves some consideration. Superbowls on his resume in Pittsburgh, called plays for the Kurt Warner Cardinals & 3 1k receivers in the same year. Has some HC experience with KC, and then another successful stint in Pittsburgh. He actually improved the Browns offense quite a bit this season, just sucks that they decided to go with Gregg "Bountygate" Williams as the HC once they finally decided to dump Hue Jackson; it was obvious from as far back as Hard Knocks that it was a one of the other ultimatum and the animosity was very real.

He's well established in the league and has a track record of offensive success in every stop along the way. While i'm iffy on giving him HC consideration if they do decide to move on from Marrone, I think he's definitely proven as a coordinator and believe it or not would probably be the best offensive mind / playcaller we've had since Dirk Koetter was here a decade ago.

On an unrelated note, moving on from Jerry Sullivan was a mistake and the receiver play top to bottom shows it; #BringbackJerrySullivan
(11-27-2018, 05:06 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]At least as an Offensive Coordinator I think Todd Haley deserves some consideration. Superbowls on his resume in Pittsburgh, called plays for the Kurt Warner Cardinals & 3 1k receivers in the same year. Has some HC experience with KC, and then another successful stint in Pittsburgh. He actually improved the Browns offense quite a bit this season, just sucks that they decided to go with Gregg "Bountygate" Williams as the HC once they finally decided to dump Hue Jackson; it was obvious from as far back as Hard Knocks that it was a one of the other ultimatum and the animosity was very real.

He's well established in the league and has a track record of offensive success in every stop along the way. While i'm iffy on giving him HC consideration if they do decide to move on from Marrone, I think he's definitely proven as a coordinator and believe it or not would probably be the best offensive mind / playcaller we've had since Dirk Koetter was here a decade ago.

On an unrelated note, moving on from Jerry Sullivan was a mistake and the receiver play top to bottom shows it; #BringbackJerrySullivan

Sullivan retired.

(11-27-2018, 04:35 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Kliff Kingsbury looks like the hot “inexperienced” guy this year.

As a huge Texas Tech fan, we do not want him.  Trust me.
(11-27-2018, 04:12 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]Has Jacksonville ever had a Coach with exstensive NFL Experience?

This is something i would like a head coach who has a great deal of HC experience. Think of all the Coaches we have had including TC, they are first Time HC, excpt Marone a 2 yr experience as a lousy HC in Buffalo. I would like to see us bring in a well established Coach who does not look like a first time coach during games. I know there are not a lot out there and TC is now a coach with years of Exp i would like him to be HC or bring in someone who knows to call a TO if the play clock is running down or knows the situation on the field and doesn't punt on 4 and inches. Just some thoughts to think about.

I mean, Mularkey was a veteran coach. And that worked out well.

I'd like to see us bring in a coach with a spine. Someone who can tell the team to quit being a bunch of idiots and the team will actually quit being a bunch of idiots. Bonus points if the coach knows how to develop a QB.
(11-27-2018, 04:12 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]Has Jacksonville ever had a Coach with exstensive NFL Experience?

Congrats, you just welcomed Hue Jackson as the next coach of the Jags.
Jeff Fisher has TONS of experience!

I don't care if the guy has been an assistant for two years, if the guy can lead men and win games, hire him.
I would cut off my foot for McVay
Pages: 1 2