Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coughlin - Everyone's aware of it. And it's not my philosophy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Coughlin noted that he believes teams can still win with a great defense and running game.

"Everyone's aware of it. And it's not my philosophy. It's coach [Doug] Marrone's philosophy," he said when asked about the lack of offensive balance. "And that's the important thing. But as you adjust through the course of a season dealing with points for, point against, what the score is, where you're at, so on and so forth, you do get away from yourself sometimes, and sometimes you're forced to. And sometimes you fall into a pattern where it becomes kind of the thing to go, and you get away from it. There's no doubt you have to go back and re-evaluate who you are."

Ouch.  Didn't read it close enough.  Marrone is gone after year end......

We were close last year......
He also said he believes you can still win with that philosophy. One good year one bad year. Marrone isn't going anywhere
(11-27-2018, 05:06 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]He also said he believes you can still win with that philosophy.  One good year one bad year. Marrone isn't going anywhere

if Marrone stays jags will never win a game again then. Hes not a good HC at all. he needs to go.
I think Marrone's refusal to override his coordinators is his biggest shortcoming, the guy is VERY loyal which is a double edged sword. All I need to know to illustrate that point was the 3rd and 5 from the final 3 and out drive against the Steelers

"Nate what pass are we thinking here"
"I was actually thinking of just handing the ball to Lenny, give the ball to our best guy and have him make a play"
"Ok"

^ The above conversation is about verbatim to Marrone's post game presser. I get the importance of delegating and I get trusting someone who's coached with you for 3 straight stops the last decade+. But at the end of the day you need to take the reigns and make the decisions and judgement necessary to WIN.
he also said fireing of hackett and benching bortels was Marones decision he did it. i think hes gone at end of year too. I Wonder if TC is already interviewing HC possibilities with Mcadoo in town, or he is here for the JAYFUND today.
I'd be good with Mcadoo
(11-27-2018, 05:30 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be good with Mcadoo

Did you see his Giants teams play? I would definitely not be good with McAdumb
Coughlin is delusional in his old age. He wants it to be over and just rest.

McAdoo? Nah. More like McAdont bro. A lot of his players didn't seem to like him. And that was spilling out of the locker room long before Eli Manning was benched for a week or whatever.
(11-27-2018, 05:06 PM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]He also said he believes you can still win with that philosophy.  One good year one bad year. Marrone isn't going anywhere

One good year. One bad year. I think it's 50/50. I really think he only has the next five games to convince Coughlin whether or not he's good enough to keep his job. You fired Hackett. You benched Bortles. You're basically telling the brass and the rest of the NFL that they were the problem. Not you. 

So we'll see if his decisions spare him this year or if it will cost him his job. Personally I don't think he'll make it. I think this year has just been an utter [BLEEP] show. Coughlin must feel embarrassed. So does Khan. I don't think they can stick with this coaching staff now. And after what they went through with Bradley? They probably know not to wait around and let other opportunities slip by them. 

I am not saying that we should turn into the Browns or Raiders where they start hiring and firing coaches every single year or two years. But if Marrone is worth any salt. He'll find a way to squeeze three more wins out of this team with Kessler and Milanovich running the offense. 

If Marrone had ANY balls. He would just call the offense himself. This is a guy that was pegged as the OC when NOLA won it's first SB back in 2010. So let's see some creativity out there. Let's see some [BLEEP] other than this 1978 power run football out there. It's old. And it's not working.
why would you want to win? get a high draft pick now that we’re already in top 5 contention
(11-27-2018, 08:05 PM)ramseyx20 Wrote: [ -> ]why would you want to win? get a high draft pick now that we’re already in top 5 contention

yeah, thats helped us big time over the years

McAdoo is straight garbage I would not be okaywith him. Another Mularky type hire.

[Image: image.jpg?w=400&c=1]
(11-27-2018, 05:32 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you see his Giants teams play? I would definitely not be good with McAdumb

I prefer McAdoofus.

Why?
Please no Mcadoodoo......
The truth is, you can win with a run first team with a good defense. I agree with Tom, the philosophy can work. Look at the teams who have won the big one, even recently. More times than not, they have very good run games and defenses. Philly had the 4th total defense in yards and 4th in scoring. They were 3rd in total rushing as well. They just won a title with Nick Foles, lol. The fact is, if the defense is playing well, and your run game is good, you can win with an efficiently average QB. Just don't* roll over on offense in the 4th quarter of your championship game... *looks at Marrone, Hackett*.

We were 3-1 at one point this year, looking like AFC favorites, but we lost 2 LTs, our stud RB, O line was banged up, and the defense lapsed. I think after the season is over Wash is gone, and possibly Caldwell(less likely). I think this defense is a colossal failure considering the talent available. They've also been relatively healthy, especially compared to our offense. I expect a few heads to roll at seasons, but Marrone likely gets another season. If we are even 1/2 as healthy on offense in 2019 as 18, we should do better, especially with a 4th place schedule lol.
(11-28-2018, 04:29 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]The truth is, you can win with a run first team with a good defense. I agree with Tom, the philosophy can work. Look at the teams who have won the big one, even recently. More times than not, they have very good run games and defenses. Philly had the 4th total defense in yards and 4th in scoring. They were 3rd in total rushing as well. They just won a title with Nick Foles, lol. The fact is, if the defense is playing well, and your run game is good, you can win with an efficiently average QB. Just don't* roll over on offense in the 4th quarter of your championship game... *looks at Marrone, Hackett*.

We were 3-1 at one point this year, looking like AFC favorites, but we lost 2 LTs, our stud RB, O line was banged up, and the defense lapsed. I think after the season is over Wash is gone, and possibly Caldwell(less likely). I think this defense is a colossal failure considering the talent available. They've also been relatively healthy, especially compared to our offense. I expect a few heads to roll at seasons, but Marrone likely gets another season. If we are even 1/2 as healthy on offense in 2019 as 18, we should do better, especially with a 4th place schedule lol.

I agree mostly,  but Walsh is better than average.

The defense was exposed (A year older and a last year hangover) and overconfident.  That was the biggest issue I saw and Church was horrible in multiple games.
(11-28-2018, 01:03 PM)old_man Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2018, 04:29 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]The truth is, you can win with a run first team with a good defense. I agree with Tom, the philosophy can work. Look at the teams who have won the big one, even recently. More times than not, they have very good run games and defenses. Philly had the 4th total defense in yards and 4th in scoring. They were 3rd in total rushing as well. They just won a title with Nick Foles, lol. The fact is, if the defense is playing well, and your run game is good, you can win with an efficiently average QB. Just don't* roll over on offense in the 4th quarter of your championship game... *looks at Marrone, Hackett*.

I agree mostly,  but Walsh is better than average.

The defense was exposed (A year older and a last year hangover) and overconfident.  That was the biggest issue I saw and Church was horrible in multiple games.

Wash is not good
Pages: 1 2