Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Time to start playing the youngsters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just saw that Church is expected to have his snaps reduced this week in place of Harrison getting some additional PT. This should have happened weeks ago but better late than never. Also Taven Bryan had a pretty good game last week rotating with Malik. There may be reason to hope after all. I also wouldn’t be opposed to calling up Lazard from the PS to see what exactly we have in him.
Makes sense.

Would have probably done it last week in Buff. if it were my call.
Promote Tanner Lee off the PS and get him some game speed reps for next season.
(11-28-2018, 02:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Makes sense.

Would have probably done it last week in Buff. if it were my call.

I think they actually started transitioning some of the younger guys into the game against Buffalo.  Sounds like we're going to see more of that the rest of the way, which is good.
Might as well see now: rip the band aid off and see how bad this rebuild is gonna be: can we let Malik, Marcel, Barry, Calais, etc go in the offseason and speed it up.
As far as I am concerned there is nobody on this team that is irreplaceable. Every single person on this team aside from Dareus and Lambo has regressed. I doubt we have a single pro bowler on the team this year.
Calais will not be gone next year. he can be lined up inside or outside. 2020 maybe
For player development this is the best plan. It all depends how confident Marrone feels with his position. The fact that he suddenly fired Hackett and benched Blake, tells me his status for next year and he’s trying to save his job. Losing the majority of the remaining games won’t do that. So if he’s trying to save his job, DM will put the players he thinks are the best on field regardless of their need for experience
It's blatantly obvious that Bryan is best and most comfortable at the 3 Tech. It's where he played in College and where hes flashed his play this season. That's where he needs to stay.

Cut Malik in the off season and let Bryan take over his role. Keep Campbell and Dareus for another season. I think we all agree that at least one of Campbell/Malik/Dareus are going to be let go this off season to save money.

Malik makes the most sense to me, since Dareus can play multiple spots on the DL. Bryan becoming the main 3T and Campbell can play anywhere. Malik is pretty much limited to the 3T. Campbell and Dareus are both more valuable.

I think it's clear that age is catching up with Church. Hes been slow in pass coverage and awful in run support. Countless amounts of terrible angles this season. Harrison needed more reps at SS about 4 games ago, but better late than never.
(11-28-2018, 10:39 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]For player development this is the best plan.  It all depends how confident Marrone feels with his position.  The fact that he suddenly fired Hackett and benched Blake, tells me his status for next year and he’s trying to save his job.  Losing the majority of the remaining games won’t do that.  So if he’s trying to save his job, DM will put the players he thinks are the best on field regardless of their need for experience

Not sure if I agree with you there, B-Rush. DM may also be under a directive from above to break in the youngsters and may be judged on how well he integrates them in preparation for the anticipated cuts. 

Re-thinking this a little- what's more important now, wins or player development? Wins are probably important to most of the fanbase while the 100 experts (and Krayz) here on the board recognize and appreciate the need to develop Bryan, Harrison, et al.
(11-29-2018, 08:07 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-28-2018, 10:39 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]For player development this is the best plan.  It all depends how confident Marrone feels with his position.  The fact that he suddenly fired Hackett and benched Blake, tells me his status for next year and he’s trying to save his job.  Losing the majority of the remaining games won’t do that.  So if he’s trying to save his job, DM will put the players he thinks are the best on field regardless of their need for experience

Not sure if I agree with you there, B-Rush. DM may also be under a directive from above to break in the youngsters and may be judged on how well he integrates them in preparation for the anticipated cuts. 

Re-thinking this a little- what's more important now, wins or player development? Wins are probably important to most of the fanbase while the 100 experts (and Krayz) here on the board recognize and appreciate the need to develop Bryan, Harrison, et al.

The F.O. and coaching staff are not likely looking at these two things as mutually exclusive. 

There are not so many developmental players in need of snaps that the team would be making anything resembling a forfeiture by working them into the rotation or even starting a couple of them. 

Bryan, Harrison and Chark have already had quite a lot of valuable experience this year. A little bit more isn't going to suddenly alter any ratio of advantage/disadvantage the Jags may have. 

Now - if they are sitting a healthy Ramsey to play Meeks or something like that, then you could say the staff is taking a strictly developmental approach with winning becoming secondary. 
I seriously doubt they'd do that considering the anticipated number of hot seats the Jags staff presumably have at the moment. Wins mean something to their job security even if 100 people on a message board want the team to lose out to move up 5 spots in the draft.
Coach Marrone is going to field the best players that he feels gives the team a chance to win.  Period.  It's all about winning games, even if the post season is out of reach.  Anything less is "maddenish" and unprofessional.  This is after all professional football.  Not putting forth their best effort whether it's the players or the coaches is a sure fire way to lose their job and/or future job.