Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Defensive Talent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just checking to see if anyone is still banging that "this defensive roster was overrated" drum? 

I know they've massively underachieved in 4 or 5 games this season, but watching them today, I really don't see it as a talent issue. The players are there IMO.  

I think that if you leave this defense largely intact (minus an obvious cut or two) then they can continue to hold up their end of the bargain.  

The offense obviously needs a strong offseason of acquisitions to close the gap a bit. But I just can't get on board with the "defense was overhyped" narrative after today's game.
I dont really remember many people saying talent was an issue. Pretty much everyone was saying it was Wash. Watching today though Wash is trying to save his job.
(12-02-2018, 07:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I dont really remember many people saying talent was an issue.  Pretty much everyone was saying it was Wash.  Watching today though Wash is trying to save his job.

It was certainly not a majority, but there were a throng here, plenty more in the twittersphere, and even more in the blogoverse that were very vocal about last year's Jags D overachieving and "this year" being their reality. 

I think this D is loaded with talent and just played some very undisciplined football in 4 or 5 games.
The have not played to this level most of the year.

If they would have played like this we would have at least 3 mores wins on the season. Too bad.
(12-02-2018, 07:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2018, 07:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I dont really remember many people saying talent was an issue.  Pretty much everyone was saying it was Wash.  Watching today though Wash is trying to save his job.

It was certainly not a majority, but there were a throng here, plenty more in the twittersphere, and even more in the blogoverse that were very vocal about last year's Jags D overachieving and "this year" being their reality. 

I think this D is loaded with talent and just played some very undisciplined football in 4 or 5 games.

Youre right, there were 1 or 2 posters i remember saying they over achieved the majority on this board though Wash was the issue.  Wash is still a question mark with me though but he has changed his calls and the personel is different as well but for the better.  Wash could have not waited so long to adjust and change his personel but better late than never.  Smoot had a decent game today too
(12-02-2018, 08:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2018, 07:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It was certainly not a majority, but there were a throng here, plenty more in the twittersphere, and even more in the blogoverse that were very vocal about last year's Jags D overachieving and "this year" being their reality. 

Youre right, there were 1 or 2 posters i remember saying they over achieved the majority on this board though Wash was the issue.  Wash is still a question mark with me though but he has changed his calls and the personel is different as well but for the better.  Wash could have not waited so long to adjust and change his personel but better late than never.  Smoot had a decent game today too
I thought it was more like a dozen posters or so - but I agree with you on all points here. Was really great to see Smoot turn a higher snap count into some production today.
(12-02-2018, 08:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2018, 07:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It was certainly not a majority, but there were a throng here, plenty more in the twittersphere, and even more in the blogoverse that were very vocal about last year's Jags D overachieving and "this year" being their reality. 

Yup, Smoot flashed multiple times today. He straight up smoked the RT on one play, but was just a step away from the sack. Beat him baaaddd. Was nice to see him have a solid day. Hopefully he can keep gaining on it in these last 4 games.

Ngakoue was all over the place today as well.
I think we still have a player issue on all sides of the ball. Was the defense better today then it has been all year, yeah that was fun. Whats up with the other games? I think our linebackers suck in pass coverage and might be a little small to play the run, I think our knuckle heads in the secondary find themselves out of positions to many times, I think our pass rush is still non existent the majority of the time, and I think our run defense is questionable at best, that's a talent issue, are they smart enough to know where they're supposed to be? are they physically capable of doing the roles we have them in? Next year many of our core players are going to be a year older, we've built much of this defense on free agents. I think we will continue to see a steady regression on the defense year after year, which is fine we need to build an offensive powerhouse. It's the way of the future. I love defense as much as anyone but was anyone encouraged by that offensive play we had with our new coordinator and QB?

1 Win doesn't erase or cover the major lack of talent we have on this roster, it's garbage starting with the QB position and trickling down the rest of the roster. I still stand by my thoughts Caldwell has done a horrible job finding and developing talent on this roster, at 5 years we're worse off than ever before. But hey 4-8 with an outside chance of reaching .500 we should just take a deep breath and be thankful for this powerhouse defense we have lol.
Today they showed why they have the #1 pass defense in the league