Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Play calling by Milanovich
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I wasn't surprised the level of QB play didn't change much but I was surprised by how similar the play calling looked.
(12-02-2018, 10:34 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't surprised the level of QB play didn't change much but I was surprised by how similar the play calling looked.

Yeah. 
I mean, I figured there'd be less runs on first down. There were. But not a radical shift.

I knew Kessler wouldn't be slinging it downfield much. He didn't. 

I knew Milanovich liked "balance" and he mostly showed that with 24 passes and 27 runs. Even if that's a little run heavy for the current era of football - it's smart to keep Luck off of the field and rest your defense/work the clock.

I guess I was hoping for a few more unpredictable calls.  There was one nice PA pass play that came with Bohanon and Hyde in the backfield with the colts clearly keying on the run. So there's that. 
Pretty underwhelming stuff by the offense all around but they were able to do just enough.
I was surprised by a couple things. I hardly noticed any of the crossing routes we run so much. And I l kind of expected to see some quick slants to take advantage of Kessler's more accurate throwing and relieve some of the pressure of the incoming rushers.
i didn’t like it. but i don’t know how bad our line and wrs and TE are

the only routes working for us this year are shallow crosses and we got away from them

we definitely need a bright young OC or a good vet with a good playbook
you don't really "flip a switch" for wholesale changes until a offense has had a chance to practice some do you?
At the end of the day....they got the "W"
Looked like Canadian football plays to me.
It looked to me like we may have called some things down the field but Kessler was pretty quick to check everything down and play super conservative. That combined with not having any time on several drop backs as well
Our OL is straight trash right now. Hard to really gauge anything honestly.
We got cast offs from the Giants, and back ups of back ups in....

The defense played its balls off. And I'm stoked they haven't quit. But the offense is looking just as bad as the early Gus years. The amount of depth guys starting on O is sickening and makes it hard to watch.
We were kinda hamstrung with 4th string LT, 3rd(?) LG, 2nd C, 1stRG and 2nd RT by end of the G along with 3/4th TE and 2nd/3rd RBs and 2nd QB. To have any type of functional offense at that point is a friggin miracle.
(12-03-2018, 10:04 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]Looked like Canadian football plays to me.

They were the same plays that have been used all season long. Nothing was changed in the playbook.
Yeah, amongst other things that are "bad" in this franchise, the playbook is straight trash homie. It was designated by mastermind Hackett to minimize mistakes by a subpar QB. Seeing how there is not time to install another playbook at this time, it is what it is. It's clear though that the playbook is inferior. I guess if Bortles would have executed without fail and was 100% accurate with all his throws and reads, it would have given the offense a "chance" to put points on the board. But Kessler in this system will not yield much different results.
(12-03-2018, 10:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 10:04 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]Looked like Canadian football plays to me.

They were the same plays that have been used all season long. Nothing was changed in the playbook.

I don't remember Blake throwing 5 yards behind the LOS.

Unless I missed it.
Are we sure that a 100% healthy offensive line wouldn't produce the same results? I think we have really messed up the offense and have few bright spots.
(12-03-2018, 11:08 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 10:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]They were the same plays that have been used all season long. Nothing was changed in the playbook.

I don't remember Blake throwing 5 yards behind the LOS.

Unless I missed it.

You missed it.
(12-03-2018, 10:19 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]We were kinda hamstrung with 4th string LT, 3rd(?) LG, 2nd C, 1stRG and 2nd RT by end of the G along with 3/4th TE and 2nd/3rd RBs and 2nd QB.  To have any type of functional offense at that point is a friggin miracle.

That totally summed up the situation.  

The problem isn't the plays, it's the players.
(12-03-2018, 11:04 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, amongst other things that are "bad" in this franchise, the playbook is straight trash homie. It was designated by mastermind Hackett to minimize mistakes by a subpar QB. Seeing how there is not time to install another playbook at this time, it is what it is. It's clear though that the playbook is inferior. I guess if Bortles would have executed without fail and was 100% accurate with all his throws and reads, it would have given the offense a "chance" to put points on the board. But Kessler in this system will not yield much different results.

I'm certainly not a huge fan of this limited playbook, but Kessler had some throws to make and chose to check it down. He said so himself repeatedly in his post game presser. 

I'll post a few when the all 22 comes up on gamepass.  I definitely recall a third down check down to O'Shaughnessy in which he had two downfield options - one of them coming open and time to burn in the pocket.

There was another where new guy TE Bell was open down the seam and Kessler was locked on him but took a sack.
(12-03-2018, 11:04 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, amongst other things that are "bad" in this franchise, the playbook is straight trash homie. It was designated by mastermind Hackett to minimize mistakes by a subpar QB. Seeing how there is not time to install another playbook at this time, it is what it is. It's clear though that the playbook is inferior. I guess if Bortles would have executed without fail and was 100% accurate with all his throws and reads, it would have given the offense a "chance" to put points on the board. But Kessler in this system will not yield much different results.

Our WRs rarely get separation,  no true pass catching TEs, and rarely having time to throw the ball.  These are additional reasons the playbook is limited.
The playbook is even more limited because Kessler has the arm of a 6th grader. Anyone who doesn't think Bortles is the better options between the two is not being honest with themselves. Put Bortles back in and deal with the offensive issues in the offseason.
(12-03-2018, 11:50 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]The playbook is even more limited because Kessler has the arm of a 6th grader. Anyone who doesn't think Bortles is the better options between the two is not being honest with themselves. Put Bortles back in and deal with the offensive issues in the offseason.

Yo, they coming for you.

They.

You know, them.

They don't like sound logic.

Only burning at the stakes.

Bortles is the worst QB in NFL history according to the fans and this board.
(12-03-2018, 11:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 11:08 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't remember Blake throwing 5 yards behind the LOS.

Unless I missed it.

You missed it.

Here it is. A CFL play at the 1:19:40 to 1:19:50 that will never work in the NFL.

Pages: 1 2 3