Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ngakoue and Smoot vs colts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just sharing a couple of interesting observations from the colts game:

By my count, Smoot had 3 QB pressures and one great run stop for no gain.

Ngakoue had 5 QB pressures, one sack, and here's the interesting part - three big run stops including a TFL - Not exactly what we are used to seeing from him. Great to see.

Player development is certainly not dead from Marion Hobby's position room.
Smoot’s performance gave me hope that he’ll turn the corner and be productive this season or the next. He was impressive. I may be wrong but he looked like he’s gained weight. He looks fatter. Not sure if it’s helping or hurting, but the dude hustles either way.
Hoping that Smoot can play the role Bryan was drafted for, and Bryan can somehow move inside.
(12-03-2018, 01:25 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]Smoot’s performance gave me hope that he’ll turn the corner and be productive this season or the next. He was impressive. I may be wrong but he looked like he’s gained weight. He looks fatter. Not sure if it’s helping or hurting, but the dude hustles either way.

He did. He was asked to gain weight after he was drafted to learn to play the “big end” role.
(12-03-2018, 01:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Just sharing a couple of interesting observations from the colts game:

By my count, Smoot had 3 QB pressures and one great run stop for no gain.

Ngakoue had 5 QB pressures, one sack, and here's the interesting part - three big run stops including a TFL - Not exactly what we are used to seeing from him. Great to see.

Player development is certainly not dead from Marion Hobby's position room.

Smoot definitely flashed yesterday more than once. Yannick made a few key plays including the 4th and goal stop and the sack. I still think this team needs another pass rusher but the play and effort was encouraging.
Yannicks ability in the run game has progressed a ton from last year. Yeah he can still get washed out my blocks too often but he's done an excellent job of getting back into plays and making tackles. A lot my physical thats for sure
Smoot had a nice game last time too. Yesterday it was definitely a good one and encouraging. Hope he builds from that.
Yannick had a great game and I liked his situational awareness on the goal line stop. Too bad about the Gipson penalty that wiped away the forced fumble (although Luck recovered), it was executed so perfectl.y
https://twitter.com/logs56/status/1069712693328793600

Nice rush there by Smoot against Braden Smith (audio comment by Lageman)
(12-03-2018, 07:10 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/logs56/status/1069712693328793600

Nice rush there by Smoot against Braden Smith (audio comment by Lageman)

Nice chop right there by Smoot. Still, as a 3rd round pick... been a waste of a pick. No real argument against it either, I doubt he even makes the team next season.
If he plays like this more consistently, why would he be cut?

I hope Bryan, Smoot, Harrison and the young guys get as many snaps as possible to see where we stand next year
(12-03-2018, 08:21 PM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]If he plays like this more consistently, why would he be cut?

I hope Bryan, Smoot, Harrison and the young guys get as many snaps as possible to see where we stand next year

That's asking a lot. He has been a healthy scratch most the year. Zero sacks in his career. He's been trash. This franchise likes to hold onto "potential" though, he will probably be here for atleast 3 more years.
(12-03-2018, 08:31 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 08:21 PM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]If he plays like this more consistently, why would he be cut?

That's asking a lot. He has been a healthy scratch most the year. Zero sacks in his career. He's been trash. This franchise likes to hold onto "potential" though, he will probably be here for atleast 3 more years.

Are u kidding the guys a second year player. DE takes a while to make an impact, especially behind the depth we have. Also Smoot TV:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMAGLC...qP5kovFIXg
BIzzare comments, no way is Smoot not not on the roster next year. He's a developing player, likely will replace Campbell next season as the big end. He's been solid and would have gotten more playing time if the Jags weren't so deep on the D-line.
(12-03-2018, 10:12 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]BIzzare comments, no way is Smoot not not on the roster next year. He's a developing player, likely will replace Campbell next season as the big end.  He's been solid and would have gotten more playing time if the Jags weren't so deep on the D-line.

He's been solid? LOL.... ok. What part of his career stats, you know... the stuff that matters? ... suggests he has been solid?
(12-03-2018, 08:31 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]

Because he was playing behind Ngakoue, Fowler and Campbell....
(12-03-2018, 10:24 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 08:31 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]That's asking a lot. He has been a healthy scratch most the year. Zero sacks in his career. He's been trash. This franchise likes to hold onto "potential" though, he will probably be here for atleast 3 more years.

Because he was playing behind Ngakoue, Fowler and Campbell....

He's a 3rd rounder isn't he? He can find a way on the field. Healthy scratch all year...thats because of those 3 players? LOL. Geez, I get it, every player is amazing on this roster. Sorry.
(12-03-2018, 10:31 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 10:24 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Because he was playing behind Ngakoue, Fowler and Campbell....

He's a 3rd rounder isn't he? He can find a way on the field. Healthy scratch all year...thats because of those 3 players? LOL. Geez, I get it, every player is amazing on this roster. Sorry.

Yea he's a 3rd rounder and you're acting like he was a 1st round pick..

Them and about 4-5 other DTs that are active on game day as well..

Are you really trying to make an argument that they should have taken Ngakoue, Fowler, or Campbell off the field, because they aren't better than Smoot or something?

I don't understand why you're reaching and so bent out of shape about this. Smoot was a 3rd round pick with some developmental upside, who is only in his 2nd year and has been on a stacked DL.. Only so many reps that can go around.

And there's zero chance that he's going to be cut btw lol.
Smoot saves 6 is a bit of a stretch. Luck has to make that throw. Poor play on his part although pressure helped
(12-03-2018, 10:46 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 10:31 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]He's a 3rd rounder isn't he? He can find a way on the field. Healthy scratch all year...thats because of those 3 players? LOL. Geez, I get it, every player is amazing on this roster. Sorry.

Are you really trying to make an argument that they should have taken Ngakoue, Fowler, or Campbell off the field, because they aren't better than Smoot or something?

I don't understand why you're reaching and so bent out of shape about this. Smoot was a 3rd round pick with some developmental upside, who is only in his 2nd year and has been on a stacked DL.. Only so many reps that can go around.

Not bent out of shape, but the dude has been complete crap this season as well as last season. Replaceable. He sucks.

As a 3rd round pick the expectation should be better. Not this. Sorry, but he literally passes the expectations of a 7th rounder... not a 3rd rounder. He will be gone next season... without Fowler making an impact.

Why is it a stacked D LINE? Names? They have been pretty damn bad this season... not sure where you guys get this STACKED D LINE thing from.
(12-03-2018, 10:46 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2018, 10:31 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]He's a 3rd rounder isn't he? He can find a way on the field. Healthy scratch all year...thats because of those 3 players? LOL. Geez, I get it, every player is amazing on this roster. Sorry.

I don't understand why you're reaching and so bent out of shape about this.
Smoot was a 3rd round pick with some developmental upside, who is only in his 2nd year and has been on a stacked DL.. Only so many reps that can go around.

Haters gonna hate.  Dude gets his thrills bashing Jags and labeling everyone homers that don't share his negative opinions.  Whatever. That's his thing. He's consistent anyway. 

The fact of the matter is that we haven't seen enough meaningful sample from Smoot this season to accurately gauge his progress. Sunday was a positive flash. Maybe he'll build on that. We don't know yet. I hope so. 

Similar deal with Bryan. Those totally writing him off right now are fools IMO - even if they turn out to be right. The list of D-Linemen that didn't hit their stride until year three is a long one in this league. I'll continue to exercise patience with these young linemen.  If they turn out to be nothing more than good depth in a productive rotation it will be disappointing - but they'll still be valuable.
Pages: 1 2