Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Marrone, Jaguars 'heavily disappointed' after TNF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Marrone, Jaguars 'heavily disappointed' after TNF

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-after-tnf

On the wrong end of a lopsided loss to the Derrick Henry-led Titans, the Jaguars were left reeling after the latest sub-par performance in a season of struggles.
Ya think? Sure, you got the Sisters of the Immaculate Gore playing O-line, but pretty much the entire D is intact from last year....and you guys ENTIRELY crap the bed on primetime TV. 1st and Goal at the ONE and you can't punch it in on 4 tries. Did we sign Toby Gerhart off the street again? Can we just forfeit the last 3 games and nuke the entire roster?
This is what happens when you pass on a franchise passer to draft an injury plagued running back in the top five.
(12-07-2018, 09:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]This is what happens when you pass on a franchise passer to draft an injury plagued running back in the top five.

20/20
(12-07-2018, 09:45 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2018, 09:35 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]This is what happens when you pass on a franchise passer to draft an injury plagued running back in the top five.

20/20

And Andy Reid make a difference. Who knows how Mahomes would have turned out under Jags coaching?
[Image: cptobvious.jpg]
(12-07-2018, 09:51 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2018, 09:45 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]20/20

And Andy Reid make a difference. Who knows how Mahomes would have turned out under Jags coaching?

Exactly.

Do you see that talent around him? My lord. He would not look good with this talent and this deformed Oline.
(12-07-2018, 09:45 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]

20/20

Yeah, it's unreasonable to expect guys getting paid millions of dollars to evaluate talent to get it right. For those saying they think Mahomes would be bad here, who knows, but I will say that Watson's line in Houston isn't winning any awards and they're in competition for a bye week.

Also even Ray Charles could see that drafting RBs in the top five is a bad idea, and that taking guys with major injury histories is an even worse idea there.
Marrone needs to go. The offensive line is terrible. That's supposed to be his forte. I understand that injuries happen. But it's always been apart of the game. My problem is that if you know your line is struggling. And it's your forte. Why are we not seeing adjustments by him personally? Why isn't he driving the play calls? He's just trying to absolve himself of any wrong doing this year.

That's why he threw Hackett under the bus. Something most folks on here couldn't fathom because they had been joined at the hip pretty much since Syracuse. Wash is probably next to be thrown under the bus. But this team is done. They [BLEEP] quit last night. It was disgusting. At one point it looked like Henry's big [BLEEP] was just skating out there instead of running. Wasn't even close.

Khan and Coughlin CANNOT [BLEEP] this up. It's too risky to move forward with him at the helm. He was so-so to begin with when he came here. Last year was a mirage. The defense was playing light's out football, scoring on defense, taking the ball away, hitting the QB more consistently. They were right up there with some of the top defenses ever when you really look at the numbers.

And they had to pull a lot of crazy [BLEEP] on special teams JUST to compensate for the fact that the offense STILL was unable to get it done consistently at times. No Watson last year. No Luck last year. Mariota looks like an All-Pro against our team but he's another guy that's been tethering around the bust pole here and there for the thumbtacks as well.

So... I am done man. It's time to move the [BLEEP] on from bologna sandwiches. Again. I don't care if it's McCarthy, McDaniels or Kingsbury (Yes, I am aware he's with USC at the moment. But money talks). But they need to move on from 1978 style offensive football and get with the [BLEEP] program here in 2018 and beyond. It's embarrassing. He's another Mularkey at this point.
Until now - I've been in the "they just need a QB , a couple of o-linemen, and a TE" camp.
I haven't been a proponent of wholesale changes.

I'm still not, really, but I think they need to rethink this linebacker situation and bring in a new position coach for that group.
Those guys put up an epic performance vs Indy only to do a complete 180 degree turn vs the thumbtacks. As much as I love Telvin Smith - I'm starting to wonder if #44 at WLB may be the way to go. Maybe a new coordinator can fix it, but I just don't get how many rollercoaster performances this group has turned in in 2018. It's maddening to watch them struggle so bad after playing so well the week (or two weeks) prior. They've done it several times this year - with two consecutive weeks of bad play thrown in for good measure at one point.

On the surface it looks like good players just playing really poorly in a single game. But it's happened to this defense in 5 or 6 games this year. (or at least significant portions of 6 games this year) That's a trend that runs deeper than guys just underachieving. I don't know what the fix is, but I'll not question any changes made this offseason to the defensive side of the ball. While I think there are still lots of talented players on the defensive roster, it's clear something's gotta' give with the way they are being schemed and prepared. A minor shake-up in personnel wouldn't shock me either at this point.
(12-07-2018, 10:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Until now - I've been in the "they just need a QB , a couple of o-linemen, and a TE" camp.

I'm still not, really, but I think they need to rethink this linebacker situation and bring in a new position coach for that group.  
Those guys put up an epic performance vs Indy only to do a complete 180 degree turn vs the thumbtacks.  As much as I love Telvin Smith - I'm starting to wonder if #44 at WLB may be the way to go.  Maybe a new coordinator can fix it, but I just don't get how many rollercoaster performances this group has turned in in 2018. It's maddening to watch them struggle so bad after playing so well the week (or two weeks) prior. They've done it several times this year - with two consecutive weeks of bad play thrown in for good measure at one point.  

On the surface it looks like good players just playing really poorly in a single game. But it's happened to this defense in 5 or 6 games this year. (or at least significant portions of 6 games this year)  That's a trend that runs deeper than guys just underachieving.  I don't know what the fix is, but I'll not question any changes made this offseason to the defensive side of the ball.  While I think there are still lots of talented players on the defensive roster, it's clear something's gotta' give with the way they are being schemed and prepared. A minor shake-up in personnel wouldn't shock me either at this point.

I agree. Would rather see Jack back on the outside. Jacobs has flashed here and there. But they may end up looking at a LB early. Probably that kid out of either LSU or Alabama.
We rarely play well against the Titans. That team is built to not only beat but destroy our team. They have always ripped our heart out. Last year we avoided a third embarrassing loss to them in the playoffs. This team needs to grow up and start taking this division seriously. Woo hoo we have won the AFC South once since its formation and we only did that because other teams melted down around us. I miss the competitive AFC Central days because we were competitive.

Last night was a complete beat down. Our offense is years away from being effective. A good signal caller will help but we have problems everywhere. This front office never completed a plan on offense.

The biggest problem with this season is we have Ereck Flowers at LT, Omameh at LG, Shatley at C, Cann (I think he's still healthy right?) at RG, and Parnell (who fell off a cliff) sometimes at RT

Honestly... the OL is [BLEEP]... No one would be good behind it right now.
There are a lot of other things going on to... but the OL is the biggest issues. No push or holes in run game, no protection for either QB.

But sure... the RB instead of QB and the DL instead of OL are definite miscues by Caldwell/Coughlin

(12-07-2018, 10:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Until now - I've been in the "they just need a QB , a couple of o-linemen, and a TE" camp.

Those guys put up an epic performance vs Indy only to do a complete 180 degree turn vs the thumbtacks.  As much as I love Telvin Smith - I'm starting to wonder if #44 at WLB may be the way to go.  Maybe a new coordinator can fix it, but I just don't get how many rollercoaster performances this group has turned in in 2018. It's maddening to watch them struggle so bad after playing so well the week (or two weeks) prior. They've done it several times this year - with two consecutive weeks of bad play thrown in for good measure at one point.  

On the surface it looks like good players just playing really poorly in a single game. But it's happened to this defense in 5 or 6 games this year. (or at least significant portions of 6 games this year)  That's a trend that runs deeper than guys just underachieving.  I don't know what the fix is, but I'll not question any changes made this offseason to the defensive side of the ball.  While I think there are still lots of talented players on the defensive roster, it's clear something's gotta' give with the way they are being schemed and prepared. A minor shake-up in personnel wouldn't shock me either at this point.

I've been saying all year, Telvin either gotta take a pay cut or gotta go or something. He over-achieved for his size and always made up for what he lacked in coverage with his speed. Well, he no longer is doing that and seemingly can't tackle.

Maybe they move Jack to WLB and draft a MLB... Maybe, as you suggest, a different coach/scheme would do them all some good.
I think we need complete new coaches all around. HC/OC/DC
(12-07-2018, 11:15 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

The biggest problem with this season is we have Ereck Flowers at LT, Omameh at LG, Shatley at C, Cann (I think he's still healthy right?) at RG, and Parnell (who fell off a cliff) sometimes at RT

There are a lot of other things going on to... but the OL is the biggest issues. No push or holes in run game, no protection for either QB.

But sure... the RB instead of QB and the DL instead of OL are definite miscues by Caldwell/Coughlin

You're right. I think a lot of folks, including myself, when they see Watson and Mahomes playing lights out and they actually look like franchise QB's it's easy to say "Well, they obviously [BLEEP] that selection up". But I try to catch myself in those instances. Because Mahomes and Watson may not be the QB's that they are now if they were wearing the teal and black. 

It happens. Hopefully they can get this corrected in 2019.
(12-07-2018, 11:19 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2018, 11:15 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest problem with this season is we have Ereck Flowers at LT, Omameh at LG, Shatley at C, Cann (I think he's still healthy right?) at RG, and Parnell (who fell off a cliff) sometimes at RT

You're right. I think a lot of folks, including myself, when they see Watson and Mahomes playing lights out and they actually look like franchise QB's it's easy to say "Well, they obviously [BLEEP] that selection up". But I try to catch myself in those instances. Because Mahomes and Watson may not be the QB's that they are now if they were wearing the teal and black. 

It happens. Hopefully they can get this corrected in 2019.

They won’t. 

Call me cynical but this team has a history of doubling or tripling down. They will blame the injuries, retain Marrone and most of the staff, and so on. Maybe draft another defensive player in the first round when we clearly are desperate on offense. 

This is the franchise that gave Gus Bradley four years. Think about that
I know this will sound crazy, but Fournette has been a huge disappointment. He s supposedly a power back, yet he continually hesitates at the lo ne of scrimmage 8nstead of powering through. Not scoring a TD from the 1 yard line is inexcusable.

One national sports described the Jags performance last night as, "putrid." It wasn't that good.
(12-07-2018, 12:10 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]I know this will sound crazy, but Fournette has been a huge disappointment.  ..

I've been saying this quite a bit actually.
(12-07-2018, 12:10 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]I know this will sound crazy, but Fournette has been a huge disappointment.  He s supposedly a power back, yet he continually hesitates at the lo ne of scrimmage  8nstead of powering through.  Not scoring a TD from the 1 yard line is inexcusable.

One national sports described the Jags performance last night as, "putrid."  It wasn't that good.

I've been a fan of Fournettes but he is starting to look like a bust. just runs with zero conviction this year and gets taken down like a 190 pound running back.
I agree. Fournette has been a let down already in just two years. Between the suspension last year and this year. And the injuries. He's a joke. Looks like another failed top five pick for Caldwell and Co. I get the need to draft a RB there (kind of). I understand that they maybe wanted to recapture what Jacksonville has been known for over the years with guys like Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew in town.

But it's a different era of football now. It's nice to have a power back and a strong running game to make those short down and distances easy to convert or to bleed the clock out. But you need to be able to balance it out and attack your opponents in the passing game. I don't care if it's in the short game, mid game or deep game. They've always seemed to lack that consistency in the passing game. You would have to go back pretty far to appreciate the passing game in Jacksonville. To the old glory days of the 90's to see what I mean. Back then it was more balanced.

You never felt worried with Brunell, Smith and McCardell out there if the ground game was stonewalled. Or if a guy like Taylor was unable to go out and play.

And I am not counting that big garbage time year we had in 2015 with the passing game. Or whatever year it was where Blake padded his stats and broke franchise records in 2nd halves of football games.
(12-07-2018, 12:18 PM)Protozoa Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2018, 12:10 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]I know this will sound crazy, but Fournette has been a huge disappointment.  He s supposedly a power back, yet he continually hesitates at the lo ne of scrimmage  8nstead of powering through.  Not scoring a TD from the 1 yard line is inexcusable.

One national sports described the Jags performance last night as, "putrid."  It wasn't that good.

I've been a fan of Fournettes but he is starting to look like a bust. just runs with zero conviction this year and gets taken down like a 190 pound running back.

His vision is awful. and he never uses a cutback. They are wide open holes and cutback lanes and he just stuttersteps into the back of the line and falls down.
Pages: 1 2