Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Malik Jackson expects Jaguars to cut him in offseason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Malik Jackson expects Jaguars to cut him in offseason

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-offseason

Jaguars defensive end Malik Jackson still has three years left on his contract. But given how much he makes and his standing on the depth chart, he thinks he's playing his last season in Jacksonville.
Saves us 13 mil....4 mil in dead money though.
So now he wants to play hard and prove his worth to 31 other teams. How about just doing that in the first place and earning your contract.

This is exhibit A of why you need to draft well and not count on free agents for long term success.
I think the headline here is:

29 year old interior pass rusher drops weight & his game suffers

He still got pressure at a very good rate, but his overall effectiveness fell off with the weight loss, especially against the run.

It's not about effort, or free agency, or laziness, or paychecks.

Dude thought he'd up his pass rush by dropping weight and didn't see himself getting pushed around in the run game so much - but that's what happened.
(12-13-2018, 11:29 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Saves us 13 mil....4 mil in dead money though.

Actually, it's an $11 mil savings. His salary is $13 mil plus he's got a $2 mil SB hit making for a $15 mil cap hit. The $4 mil dead money hit offsets his $15 mil cap hit.

I'm thinking we're going to be something like $13 or $14 mil over the cap so an $11 mil savings gets us almost there. 
(12-13-2018, 12:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2018, 11:29 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]Saves us 13 mil....4 mil in dead money though.

Actually, it's an $11 mil savings. His salary is $13 mil plus he's got a $2 mil SB hit making for a $15 mil cap hit. The $4 mil dead money hit offsets his $15 mil cap hit.

I'm thinking we're going to be something like $13 or $14 mil over the cap so an $11 mil savings gets us almost there. 

Yeah it’s a pretty easy cut. Especially with his perceived replacement already on the roster. Throw in Church and Parnell and we are home free.
The team was preparing for this when they drafted last year.

I would suspect you'll see Church being released as well, and they'll either cut or rework the deal with Dareus.

We also drafted Parnell's replacement, so he's a potential cut.
(12-13-2018, 12:42 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]The team was preparing for this when they drafted last year.  

I would suspect you'll see Church being released as well, and they'll either cut or rework the deal with Dareus.  

Yeah.

I think Church and Parnell are done deals. Not really much justification to keep them.  
Even if they aren't sure about Richardson at RT, it's time to move on from the aging Parnell. He did what he could for a few years here. Church is being outplayed by what looks like a very good third round pick. 
Jackson was still up in the air until he began hitting the bench more often due to poor run defense. He's appears likely gone now. 

If they can restructure Dareus along with those three cuts, their cap issues are very nearly solved for 2019.
(12-13-2018, 12:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2018, 12:42 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]The team was preparing for this when they drafted last year.  

Yeah.

I think Church and Parnell are done deals. Not really much justification to keep them.  
Even if they aren't sure about Richardson at RT, it's time to move on from the aging Parnell. He did what he could for a few years here. Church is being outplayed by what looks like a very good third round pick. 
Jackson was still up in the air until he began hitting the bench more often due to poor run defense. He's appears likely gone now. 

If they can restructure Dareus along with those three cuts, their cap issues are very nearly solved for 2019.

Probably will be able to restructure Gipson as well.
(12-13-2018, 12:55 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2018, 12:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah.

Probably will be able to restructure Gipson as well.

I could see them doing that, and also reworking Campbell's contract to keep his veteran presence around.  The cap situation isn't nearly as dire as some want to portray it.  The cuts that will be necessary shouldn't be a huge hit for the team, giving them some wiggle room to address their needs.
(12-13-2018, 12:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah.

I'd try restructure Parnell and see if he wants to change to a cheaper deal with incentives for playtime.
(12-13-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd try restructure Parnell and see if he wants to change to a cheaper deal with incentives for playtime.

Not a bad idea. They are going to be basically void of O-Line depth.
(12-13-2018, 01:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]I'd try restructure Parnell and see if he wants to change to a cheaper deal with incentives for playtime.

Not a bad idea. They are going to be basically void of O-Line depth.
Pretty much. I think you should go into the off season assuming Cam/ Richardson are below average tackles. Parnell is having a bad year but is starting caliber for the most part , shouldn't let that go too easy.
Considering we are gonna eat some of Bortles' contract next year in order to get rid of him and adding the fact that Jackson has played pretty poorly this season, it's probably wise to cut him and take that savings. I don't have a problem with it.
(12-13-2018, 01:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]

Absolutely this. If there's one thing we've learned this year, it's that you can never have enough linemen on the roster.
I think they will keep Campbell and dareus but Jackson, church and Parnell are gone. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft a true mike and move Myles jack into telvin smith place and trade telvin in the off-season.
(12-13-2018, 11:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think the headline here is:

He still got pressure at a very good rate, but his overall effectiveness fell off with the weight loss, especially against the run.

Dude thought he'd up his pass rush by dropping weight and didn't see himself getting pushed around in the run game so much - but that's what happened.

Did he think it or did the team?
(12-13-2018, 08:31 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2018, 11:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think the headline here is:

Did he think it or did the team?
The preseason interview I saw seemed like it was all malik’s idea/doing.
Lol. Yeah we knew vs Pittsburgh
he wanted to lose weight himself. prob wanted to start bus after football life sooner than later
Pages: 1 2