Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Leonard Fournette admits he 'could be in better shape'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Leonard Fournette admits he 'could be in better shape'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...tter-shape

A hamstring sidelined Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette for six weeks. Ahead of Sunday's Week 16 game, Fournette indicated he could be in better shape at this point in the 2018 season.
Of course he could be in better shape. He began the season with a hamstring injury.
How does that affect one's conditioning?
(12-21-2018, 11:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Of course he could be in better shape. He began the season with a hamstring injury.  

Not sure if serious or not...
(12-21-2018, 11:26 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 11:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Of course he could be in better shape. He began the season with a hamstring injury.  

Not sure if serious or not...

I'm completely serious. 

Much was made in the twittershpere and bloggoverse yesterday about Fournette's comments. There were suggestions that he was admitting to some type of laziness or bad preparation of his own doing. 

I am simply asserting that the comments he made are only a matter of fact diagnosis of his poor conditioning due to injury. 

You can only get so much strength and conditioning work done with a torn hamstring.
(12-21-2018, 11:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 11:26 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if serious or not...

I'm completely serious. 

Much was made in the twittershpere and bloggoverse yesterday about Fournette's comments. There were suggestions that he was admitting to some type of laziness or bad preparation of his own doing. 

I am simply asserting that the comments he made are only a matter of fact diagnosis of his poor conditioning due to injury. 

You can only get so much strength and conditioning work done with a torn hamstring.

Agreed.

Some of these posters are nuts.  LF is a beast.
The question was about his conditioning to start the season. Which it reads he wasn’t as in shape as he could have been. His hamstring wasn’t injured until the season started, correct? If that’s the case, you can easily make a case that he wasn’t prepared to start the season, which could contribute to a hamstring injury.
(12-21-2018, 12:11 PM)JeepJag Wrote: [ -> ]The question was about his conditioning to start the season. Which it reads he wasn’t as in shape as he could have been. His hamstring wasn’t injured until the season started, correct? If that’s the case, you can easily make a case that he wasn’t prepared to start the season, which could contribute to a hamstring injury.

Incorrect.

The question posed was:

"Leonard, with the injury lingering and missing a game late in the season,  are you in the kind of shape you want to be in at this time of the year?"
He looks lazy and uninspired. He runs without any motivation
(12-21-2018, 12:27 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]He looks lazy and uninspired. He runs without any motivation

If you ran behind this line you would be uninspired too, lol.
(12-21-2018, 12:27 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: [ -> ]He looks lazy and uninspired. He runs without any motivation
LOL

We got another Dr. Phil in the house.  
Has your diagnosis determined if he is lacking intrinsic motivation, or the extrinsic variety? 

I'm kidding, but let's not pretend we have any actual understanding of the young man's motivation levels.  We don't. 

Personally, I'm of the opinion that he's just a guy that's playing through multiple injuries, isn't very good at improvising, and he's working behind a crap O-Line that requires improvisation from the back way too often. 

All of these guys are frustrated at the season's downturn and there will be some body language reflecting that. That doesn't mean they aren't trying or playing without full effort. 

I'd not make any assumptions about his motivation based on his inability to move the ball in these circumstances. 
He looks pretty motivated to my eye when he finds a rare crease.
I know in the 4th quarter he was sitting doing nothing while a PS player did better....
(12-21-2018, 11:05 AM)Jaxson Wrote: [ -> ]Leonard Fournette admits he 'could be in better shape'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...tter-shape

A hamstring sidelined Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette for six weeks. Ahead of Sunday's Week 16 game, Fournette indicated he could be in better shape at this point in the 2018 season.

@Now I'm convinced, dude's a bust@
Better shape or not, he has no vision. This guy run into our linemen for 2 yards...Bortles hurt them in the head with his throw, and LF run into their [BLEEP] !

The Oline is bad, but even Williams was able to find holes.
Hopefully he can stay healthy next year in 2019. A lot of guys here locally were questioning his toughness and willingness to get back from that Hamstring injury more timely to help the team out. I honestly don't care what happens. So far he's been another lack luster top five selection out of good ol' Dave Caldwell. So that's Joeckel, Bortles and Fowler all out of the picture.

And then he had one hit with Ramsey. And now he's seeing Fournette fall apart as well physically and maturity wise. Just can't keep [BLEEP] up these top five picks man. Those picks are supposed to be the guys that get you at least 5+ years of cornerstone type production. It's held this team back in all honesty. Getting a few base hits in RD2 - RD5 are nice but they mean absolutely nothing when you can't knock the heaviest ones out of the park.
(12-21-2018, 04:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully he can stay healthy next year in 2019. A lot of guys here locally were questioning his toughness and willingness to get back from that Hamstring injury more timely to help the team out. I honestly don't care what happens. So far he's been another lack luster top five selection out of good ol' Dave Caldwell. ...
"Coughwell"
(12-21-2018, 04:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 04:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully he can stay healthy next year in 2019. A lot of guys here locally were questioning his toughness and willingness to get back from that Hamstring injury more timely to help the team out. I honestly don't care what happens. So far he's been another lack luster top five selection out of good ol' Dave Caldwell. ...
"Coughwell"

Coughlin hasn't been here since 2013. He was brought here early in 2017 to help fix this cluster [BLEEP] to begin with. Caldwell lucked out last year with this defense playing at a historically elite level paired with a weak division that lacked Watson and Luck in it all year. They still ended up being swept by the tacks though. All of the crazy [BLEEP] they had to pull on Special Teams too just to keep Bortles on the field to let him hand it off another 3 straight times in a row. 

Had they played like this in 2017 Caldwell would have been fired going into this year's season.

Coughlin gets a pass for that. This year though? He deserves a share of the blame. Not sold on any of this year's past picks with the exception of Harrison at SS. Most of these guys now going forward will have you concerned with injuries.
(12-21-2018, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 04:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]"Coughwell"

Coughlin hasn't been here since 2013.
It's a Fournette thread. I'm talking about Fournette. Coughlin signed off on taking a RB with red flags in the top five. 
He gets no pass for that. 
There's nothing wrong with pointing the finger at Caldwell, it just has to be pointed at Coughlin too.
(12-21-2018, 04:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Coughlin hasn't been here since 2013.
It's a Fournette thread. I'm talking about Fournette. Coughlin signed off on taking a RB with red flags in the top five. 
There's nothing wrong with pointing the finger at Caldwell, it just has to be pointed at Coughlin too.

So, let me get this right. A man walks into the building two - three months prior to the draft after Caldwell had already done the brunt of the leg work and scouted these guys all year on that draft board. But he deserves equal share of the blame? Got it...

Apples. Oranges. That's how I see this topic. As far as this year's draft? Bryan? Chark? Lee? Coughlin deserves heat for that. 

But this has been an ongoing trend long before Coughlin was asked to come back to this franchise. And THAT cannot be overlooked. And THAT cannot go unsaid.
(12-21-2018, 04:00 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]Better shape or not, he has no vision. This guy run into our linemen for 2 yards...Bortles hurt them in the head with his throw, and LF run into their [BLEEP] !

The Oline is bad, but even Williams was able to find holes.

The keys are bad when Fournette is in the game.  They put in the FB and use heavy run formations with no threat of a play action pass.  The defense knows it is run and crashes the lanes.  There is no cutback, there is no lane and there is limited chance especially when they call holding on the street back up that is backing up the backup that backs up the starter.  It was nice to see some positive yardage of course.

And I do acknowledge that the guy could be a super bust and I didn't see what I saw last year.
(12-21-2018, 04:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-21-2018, 04:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It's a Fournette thread. I'm talking about Fournette. Coughlin signed off on taking a RB with red flags in the top five. 

So, let me get this right. A man walks into the building two - three months prior to the draft after Caldwell had already done the brunt of the leg work and scouted these guys all year on that draft board. But he deserves equal share of the blame? Got it...

All due respect,Caldrac, but you aren't quite getting it right.  It was 3 months and 3 weeks prior to the draft.
And they hired Tom Coughlin to manage David Caldwell. He became his boss. Immediately. Not after the draft.  The lack of success from Caldwell's aforementioned prior first rounders is very likely the reason this happened in the first place. 
After a week of interviews and a few "win now" one liners from Coughlin, Khan made it abundantly clear that Tom Coughlin had the final say in deciding draft picks. 

I just don't see any possible way he's free from blame.
Pages: 1 2 3