Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Revamp the Offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
RHeres an idea, because we’re already on the hook for Bortles next year, bring him back, and if you feel like like there’s a talent you can’t miss out on at the QB position in the draft, take him, if not wait until 2020.

Trade Fournette to Pittsburgh for Leveon Bell.  With as much as we check down and throw quick routes/screens, Bell would be a huge asset in our offense.  Let Yeldon and Grant hit free agency, and roll with Bell, Hyde, and David Williams.  

At WR, we’ll get Lee back from injury, but Id let Moncrief walk.  I’d look at bringing in a tough free agent.  I’d love Golden Tate.  Another guy with talent, but hasnt done anything with his career is Kevin White.

Hopefully we experience better injury luck at the O-Line/TE spots next year, but our lack of depth has been pretty evident this year.  With as much money as we already have between Linder and Norwell, i would draft 2-3 Lineman this year.  I would also bring ASJ and Blake Bell back, and I would woultarget a top tier TE prospect in the draft.  Being a Hawkeye fan, I’d love to snag TJ Hockenson.

These are just a few ideas.  Feel free to eat them alive lol.
Le'Veon Bell is a Free Agent. Trading for a free agent would definitely be a new concept that would get our GM a lot of visibility.

Finding a decent veteran TE shouldn't be difficult -- ASJ is not even close to reliable and needs to go.

I agree with your other suggestions
Leveon Bell isn’t a free agent.  The Steelers can actually franchise tag him again this year.
Well - the offense is getting revamped undoubtedly. Probably not the way suggested in the OP - but it's going to be different for sure.

- There's going to be a new playbook from a new coordinator first and foremost.
- Of equal import will be a new QB, whether he starts right away or not, the position will be addressed
- The offensive line will feature at least two players that have never played a reg. season game as a Jaguar.
- There will be new faces in the TE group.
- No clue what the future holds for the RB room, but it won't involve pouring millions into a free agent
Revamp the offense? I'm not sure the offense was ever vamped to begin with.
(12-26-2018, 10:47 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]Revamp the offense? I'm not sure the offense was ever vamped to begin with.

When is the last time we had a high scoring offense?
(12-27-2018, 01:39 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2018, 10:47 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]Revamp the offense? I'm not sure the offense was ever vamped to begin with.

When is the last time we had a high scoring offense?

Last year, 6th in the NFL.
(12-27-2018, 06:48 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 01:39 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]When is the last time we had a high scoring offense?

Last year, 6th in the NFL.

Didn't a lot of that come from our defense?
(12-27-2018, 09:14 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 06:48 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]Last year, 6th in the NFL.

No, it came from our #1 rushing attack. You know, the "bust" that is LF.

Percentage-wise, no. The Jags where 7th in the league in offensive touchdowns per game.
(12-26-2018, 10:20 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]Leveon Bell isn’t a free agent.  The Steelers can actually franchise tag him again this year.

And they should. Play his game right back.

IIRC 8 TDs came from the defense.

If you took away the defensive scores, the offense was 11th in scoring.
(12-26-2018, 10:20 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]Leveon Bell isn’t a free agent.  The Steelers can actually franchise tag him again this year.

Yes, but the RB cost of a 3rd consecutive franchise tag would set the Steelers back because Bell could essentially screw them over by signing the $25m 1-year deal so the Steelers are absolutely NOT going to go that route.  The Steelers may place the transition tag on Bell allowing them to match the highest offer thrown Bells way.  At least that is the word on the street from up here in the Burgh as I visit friends & fam for the holidays.

We just need to make due with Fournette on his relatively inexpensive rookie contract and compliment him with a very quick and healthy scatback to change the pace of our offense.
(12-27-2018, 12:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, but the RB cost of a 3rd consecutive franchise tag would set the Steelers back because Bell could essentially screw them over by signing the $25m 1-year deal so the Steelers are absolutely NOT going to go that route.  The Steelers may place the transition tag on Bell allowing them to match the highest offer thrown Bells way.  At least that is the word on the street from up here in the Burgh as I visit friends & fam for the holidays.

We just need to make due with Fournette on his relatively inexpensive rookie contract and compliment him with a very quick and healthy scatback to change the pace of our offense.

From what I understand, the tag would be the same as it just was this year because he didn't sign it, essentially meaning it would still only be the 2nd tag. I could be wrong though.
(12-27-2018, 11:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 09:14 AM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't a lot of that come from our defense?

IIRC 8 TDs came from the defense.

If you adjust for defensive scores, you'd have to do that for the other teams as well.  We were 7th in offensive TDs per game (in 2017) and 9th in total scoring offense.  Still top 10. Our achilles heel last year was probably the offensive turnovers.
(12-27-2018, 12:13 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 12:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but the RB cost of a 3rd consecutive franchise tag would set the Steelers back because Bell could essentially screw them over by signing the $25m 1-year deal so the Steelers are absolutely NOT going to go that route.  The Steelers may place the transition tag on Bell allowing them to match the highest offer thrown Bells way.  At least that is the word on the street from up here in the Burgh as I visit friends & fam for the holidays.

From what I understand, the tag would be the same as it just was this year because he didn't sign it, essentially meaning it would still only be the 2nd tag. I could be wrong though.

It’s actually been unanimously by the Steelers, Bell and the NFL that it would class as the third tag. Read it a couple of months ago on nfl. 

Only link I could find about it is. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cinci...1927122002
(12-27-2018, 12:58 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 11:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC 8 TDs came from the defense.

If you adjust for defensive scores, you'd have to do that for the other teams as well.  We were 7th in offensive TDs per game (in 2017) and 9th in total scoring offense.  Still top 10. Our achilles heel last year was probably the offensive turnovers.
While that is pretty decent we have never been near the league lead in scoring. No one thinks Jaguars and thinks, man we have to put up points if we hope to have a chance against the Jaguars.
(12-27-2018, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 12:58 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]If you adjust for defensive scores, you'd have to do that for the other teams as well.  We were 7th in offensive TDs per game (in 2017) and 9th in total scoring offense.  Still top 10. Our achilles heel last year was probably the offensive turnovers.
While that is pretty decent we have never been near the league lead in scoring. No one thinks Jaguars and thinks, man we have to put up points if we hope to have a chance against the Jaguars.

To add, regardless of last year's ranking, the offense was still wildly inconsistent. It was plagued with long stretches of futility, too many to even be considered good.
(12-27-2018, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 12:58 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]If you adjust for defensive scores, you'd have to do that for the other teams as well.  We were 7th in offensive TDs per game (in 2017) and 9th in total scoring offense.  Still top 10. Our achilles heel last year was probably the offensive turnovers.

In '97 we were 3rd in scoring which is pretty near the league lead, but we weren't talking about being near the top of the league, we were just talking about "high scoring" which I would define as being top-10 in that ranking.

(12-27-2018, 02:35 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 02:10 PM)Dimson Wrote: [ -> ]While that is pretty decent we have never been near the league lead in scoring. No one thinks Jaguars and thinks, man we have to put up points if we hope to have a chance against the Jaguars.

To add, regardless of last year's ranking, the offense was still wildly inconsistent. It was plagued with long stretches of futility, too many to even be considered good.

There were inconsistencies last year true, mostly thanks to Blake's inconsistency. But that was a pretty good offense last year. Only 17th in passing offense but we lead the league in rushing offense and as I already mentioned, 6th in overall scoring and 7th in offensive TDs scored. No matter how you cut it, that's pretty darn good.  Makes the collapse this year all the more crazy.
(12-27-2018, 03:40 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2018, 02:35 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]To add, regardless of last year's ranking, the offense was still wildly inconsistent. It was plagued with long stretches of futility, too many to even be considered good.

There were inconsistencies last year true, mostly thanks to Blake's inconsistency. But that was a pretty good offense last year. Only 17th in passing offense but we lead the league in rushing offense and as I already mentioned, 6th in overall scoring and 7th in offensive TDs scored. No matter how you cut it, that's pretty darn good.  Makes the collapse this year all the more crazy.

I disagree. You're trotting out rankings as if they mean everything. There are so many factors those rankings do not take into account. For example, let's revisit scoring. Already mentioned was defensive touchdowns, but how many offensive scores can still be attributed to the defense by giving the offense a short field? How about time of possession afforded the offense by the defense? Truth be told, as often as the defense gave the offense the ball, the team should have been number one in scoring by a large margin. Also, if the offense was "darn good" as you describe, the team would had have a better record than the 10-6 they posted, plus the would have went into this season as the Champions.

Really, last year's offense was average, so yes, this year's "collapse" makes perfect sense. Take an already questionable offense, saddle it with some key injuries, and we get the complete ineptitude we've witnessed this season.
Pages: 1 2