Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 5-11, again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In fact, this marks the 5th time we've gone 5-11 in franchise history.

5-11 is the most common record we've finished with.

Time to break tradition.

Time to abandon this myth of "continuity."

Continuity throughout these years has brought us the most common record of 5-11.

Continuously.

Time for something different.

Blow this thing completely up aside from the defensive side of the ball.  Defense, as well as it's played, could not overcome all else - nor should it be asked to.

Have the will to change.  Raise the bar once and for all.  Move upward and onward.

DIScontinue the cycle of continuing to be 5-11.  Accepting 5-11 by adhering to "continuity" isn't going to bring anything new.

Offense, GM, and coaching needs a completely new direction.  It needs a refreshing breath of life.

For a change.
I agree. I would can Caldwell first and foremost. I’m not sure about firing Marrone but getting a offensive mind wouldn’t hurt.
While I agree with you, we are heading for 5-11 or maybe even worse next year.
With most of the other 5 win teams looking at winning today, we may draft 5th. Probably no worse than 6th.

But we'll draft a bust regardless of who it is.
Back to being a laughingstock again. Last year was just a tiny oasis in the desert.
Now that they've committed to Marrone and Caldwell...

It's all up to the players and offensive mind they bring in, if any.

There's no tweaking this offense.  It needs the same overhaul that fixed the defense.
Agreed but it seems we're in for more of this
That would make sense if it was Marrone getting those previous 5-11 records.

This team is a functional offense away from being a contender again.
look who is a "bibber" now huh?

dont you know ? being upset with trash makes you a baby and a whiner
(12-30-2018, 05:18 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]That would make sense if it was Marrone getting those previous 5-11 records.

The false "continuity" mindset is what's the same.  No need to spin it into an argument that wasn't made.

I agree we're a functional offense away from being a contender.

Problem is, we're a long way away from a functional offense.  Especially with so many crucial pieces (coach, GM) not changing to facilitate that improvement.
Does Caldwell have any power at this point though? Isn't Coughlin basically in charge?

I don't mind keeping marrone as I don't think a good candidate would want go coach here with the state of the offence and he's earned a second chance for nearly taking us to the Superbowl.
(12-30-2018, 05:22 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2018, 05:18 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]That would make sense if it was Marrone getting those previous 5-11 records.

The false "continuity" mindset is what's the same.  No need to spin it into an argument that wasn't made.

I agree we're a functional offense away from being a contender.

Problem is, we're a long way away from a functional offense.  Especially with so many crucial pieces (coach, GM) not changing to facilitate that improvement.

Patently false.

We just had the 6th ranked offense in 2017.

Heck, we put up 31 points and 480 yards against New England in week 2 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/b...160jax.htm and 31 points and 503 total yards against the Jets in week 4.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/b...300jax.htm

With four of five starting OL IR, down to the 4th LT and 4th TE, with next to nothing from Fournette, yes we were a long way from being functional.

ANY team going through that would have similarly disappointing results.
No, I wouldn't blow it up. Here's what I would do:

Obviously, we need a new offensive coordinator, and a QB. Aside from that, we need weapons at WR and TE. Then, if we get all our injured players back, I think we'll be in good shape.

That's it. We were devastated by injuries this year. We lost almost all our offensive linemen. There's no offense in the world that can do much of anything without an offensive line. Get those guys back, get a QB and some weapons, and obviously, a new OC, and we're good to go.
I do remember us going 5-11 a lot.

Hopefully we can turn this around. I'm going to take the positive approach. Until I see otherwise come 2019, ill leave the negative alone.
(12-31-2018, 07:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]No, I wouldn't blow it up.   Here's what I would do:  

Obviously, we need a new offensive coordinator, and a QB.   Aside from that, we need weapons at WR and TE.   Then, if we get all our injured players back, I think we'll be in good shape.  

That's it.  We were devastated by injuries this year.   We lost almost all our offensive linemen.   There's no offense in the world that can do much of anything without an offensive line.   Get those guys back, get a QB and some weapons, and obviously, a new OC, and we're good to go.

THIS. Granted, the offense is far from functional, it's ludicrous to expect ANYTHING out of them when you're trotting out FOURTH stringers at 4/5 of the offensive line, T/E AND running back. Lose one, MAYBE two O line and you can still function but you when you've to NO continuity in the line and they are constantly learning finer nuances of playing together on the fly, BLAKE BELL is STARTING at TE and ERICK FLOWERS is your starting LT.....you're gonna have problems, every single week. SIX losses were by ONE score. THREE were by a FG.  This team just needs a shot of adrenaline on offense.  Get a new Offensive Coordinator. Get a QB(Teddy? Fitz? Haskins?) Get a RB.  Westbrook has proven he is a pretty decent WR.  Get another one. Lee is decent.  ASJ showed he is a pretty good TE when he played.  He can move the chains.  Odds say we won't lose every damn o lineman again next year.  We CAN NOT finish 5-11 again next year.  I just don't believe it.
5-11 felt like an over achievement. Try and get Adam Gase for OC and draft a QB, we need a face of the franchise and an offensive piece to build around. Fournette is obviously not it.

This is how everyone should be feeling. Even a rookie QB under a strong Oc who runs a modern nfl offense can get this team right back on track. When we didn't have 4/5 of our o line out, we were competitive. We need a qb and some o line depth and we are fine next year. We do have one tough schedule though.