Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: List of Jags Free Agents: Who would you Resign?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I posted this in another thread but thought i would put the Questions out there. Who would you resign of the free agents set to leave.

Lambo, Shatley, Bohannon, Mickens, Wilson

[Image: img_0436.jpg?w=1000]
Lambo and Grant for sure
Hard to say some of those guys might be special team players
(12-31-2018, 05:15 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to say some of those guys might be special team players

Patmon and Lambo. Shatley as a backup at close to a minimum deal. Yeldon probably but he's going to sign somewhere else.
Moncrief making 9.5 mill? Dear God, he's always been so overpaid wherever he goes. Why?

I think Yeldon is underrated. If he came back for cheap I'd take him. I don't see any team signing him as a starter.
With Cooke doing well with kick off duties, you have to get Lambo at a good price. This team doesn't have the luxury of overspending anywhere. Bye Bye MVP Lambo.
(12-31-2018, 05:52 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]With Cooke doing well with kick off duties, you have to get Lambo at a good price.  This team doesn't have the luxury of overspending anywhere.  Bye Bye MVP Lambo.

I don't think he is going to be a issue as far as cap even if we sign him to higher end kicker salary. 

so my answer to OP would be
Lambo
Shatley
Grant(if he takes a reasonable deal which I don't see being a issue)
Bohanan(if his injuries come back clean)

Other than that, I don't see us signing most of those other guys
Josh Wells
Lambo
Corey Grant if cheap
Wow, Tanner Lee is 2020 years old? I would re-sign him as it would be cheap due to him being a ERFA. I think he would be a decent backup, but more importantly good for a camp arm. Even if it's more money, the consistency could be good.

Players to bring back are
Grant
Lambo
Lee
O'Shaughnessy
Wilson
And 1 or 2 OL
Lambo. That's it.
(12-31-2018, 06:01 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 05:52 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]With Cooke doing well with kick off duties, you have to get Lambo at a good price.  This team doesn't have the luxury of overspending anywhere.  Bye Bye MVP Lambo.

I don't think he is going to be a issue as far as cap even if we sign him to higher end kicker salary. 

Lambo
Shatley

A high-end kicker is making $4M plus.  We have no cap space, so you'd have to cut somebody to create the cap room to re-sign Lambo. 

Not sure that spending $4M plus a year on a kicker when the team is already over the cap is the wisest course of action, especially when we realistically are in rebuild mode and have needs at QB, WR, TE, and OL.
(12-31-2018, 07:22 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 06:01 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think he is going to be a issue as far as cap even if we sign him to higher end kicker salary. 

Lambo
Shatley

A high-end kicker is making $4M plus.  We have no cap space, so you'd have to cut somebody to create the cap room to re-sign Lambo. 

Not sure that spending $4M plus a year on a kicker when the team is already over the cap is the wisest course of action, especially when we realistically are in rebuild mode and have needs at QB, WR, TE, and OL.
1.6 is the league average and 3.6 is the highest paid. I highly doubt he will ask to be the highest paid kicker and I doubt he will have a ton of luck getting better than the average if he tested the market so I fairly certain we could walk away signing him to something in the ball park of the league average. Curious, where did you get 4 mil from?
(12-31-2018, 07:48 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 07:22 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]A high-end kicker is making $4M plus.  We have no cap space, so you'd have to cut somebody to create the cap room to re-sign Lambo. 

1.6 is the league average and 3.6 is the highest paid. I highly doubt he will ask to be the highest paid kicker and I doubt he will have a ton of luck getting better than the average if he tested the market so I fairly certain we could walk away signing him to something in the ball park of the league average. Curious, where did you get 4 mil from?

There are 6 kickers making $4M plus a year - Gostkowski, Gano, Boswell, Tucker, Succup, and Crosby.  Straight from overthecap.com. 

https://overthecap.com/position/kicker/

And here is an article from Big Cat Country (yes - I know - just a blog and not the best source) about what it would cost to re-sign Lambo. 
https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/11/7/...-offseason

In close games, a good kicker can make the difference between a win and a loss.  When you look at statistics, Lambo is as good as most of the kickers making $4M plus a year.  The only thing that might hurt him is his late-season injury.  Otherwise, he's set to be one of the top kickers available in free agency and with 30 of 32 teams under the cap, the competition to sign Lambo could be a lot more than most people think.
(12-31-2018, 08:10 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 07:48 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 is the league average and 3.6 is the highest paid. I highly doubt he will ask to be the highest paid kicker and I doubt he will have a ton of luck getting better than the average if he tested the market so I fairly certain we could walk away signing him to something in the ball park of the league average. Curious, where did you get 4 mil from?

There are 6 kickers making $4M plus a year - Gostkowski, Gano, Boswell, Tucker, Succup, and Crosby.  Straight from overthecap.com. 

And here is an article from Big Cat Country (yes - I know - just a blog and not the best source) about what it would cost to re-sign Lambo. 

In close games, a good kicker can make the difference between a win and a loss.  When you look at statistics, Lambo is as good as most of the kickers making $4M plus a year.  The only thing that might hurt him is his late-season injury.  Otherwise, he's set to be one of the top kickers available in free agency and with 30 of 32 teams under the cap, the competition to sign Lambo could be a lot more than most people think.
nice that is actually what I was looking for. idk. I just don't know if I would put him over those guy so I would offer between 2.5-3.5 and that would be about it. but this me being a armchair GM. Personally I think that we are going to have make at least one big cut to save the cap but I don't see a 2-3mil shift in a kicker being something that will shift the scale enough to actually cut the guy. I wouldn't give him a 6 mil contract like some of those others but a midrange wouldn't hurt.
(12-31-2018, 07:48 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 07:22 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]A high-end kicker is making $4M plus.  We have no cap space, so you'd have to cut somebody to create the cap room to re-sign Lambo. 

Spotrac lists the cap hit for kickers and it's a little different way of looking at the true cost of re-signing Lambo:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/kicker/

Still comes out to about $4M per year for one of the high-end kickers.  Looking quickly at the stats for kickers, Lambo is in the top quarter of all kickers overall so I don't think he'll sign for the league average when he's clearly above average and lots of teams have cap space to burn.

(12-31-2018, 08:19 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 08:10 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ] There are 6 kickers making $4M plus a year - Gostkowski, Gano, Boswell, Tucker, Succup, and Crosby.  Straight from overthecap.com. 

nice that is actually what I was looking for. idk. I just don't know if I would put him over those guy so I would offer between 2.5-3.5 and that would be about it. but this me being a armchair GM. Personally I think that we are going to have make at least one big cut to save the cap but I don't see a 2-3mil shift in a kicker being something that will shift the scale enough to actually cut the guy. I wouldn't give him a 6 mil contract like some of those others but a midrange wouldn't hurt.

Lambo actually has better stats than most of the highest-paid kickers.  

It's a tough call. He's a free agent so we don't have to cut him or anything - the Jags have to create some cap space to sign him regardless because right now, there isn't any cap space.  

Too many big contracts last year to Moncrief, Norwell, Blake, D.J. Hayden, etc.  We're in a bind.
(12-31-2018, 08:21 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2018, 07:48 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 is the league average and 3.6 is the highest paid. I highly doubt he will ask to be the highest paid kicker and I doubt he will have a ton of luck getting better than the average if he tested the market so I fairly certain we could walk away signing him to something in the ball park of the league average. Curious, where did you get 4 mil from?

Spotrac lists the cap hit for kickers and it's a little different way of looking at the true cost of re-signing Lambo:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/kicker/

Still comes out to about $4M per year for one of the high-end kickers.  Looking quickly at the stats for kickers, Lambo is in the top quarter of all kickers overall so I don't think he'll sign for the league average when he's clearly above average and lots of teams have cap space to burn.

(12-31-2018, 08:19 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]nice that is actually what I was looking for. idk. I just don't know if I would put him over those guy so I would offer between 2.5-3.5 and that would be about it. but this me being a armchair GM. Personally I think that we are going to have make at least one big cut to save the cap but I don't see a 2-3mil shift in a kicker being something that will shift the scale enough to actually cut the guy. I wouldn't give him a 6 mil contract like some of those others but a midrange wouldn't hurt.

Lambo actually has better stats than most of the highest-paid kickers.  

It's a tough call. He's a free agent so we don't have to cut him or anything - the Jags have to create some cap space to sign him regardless because right now, there isn't any cap space.  

Too many big contracts last year to Moncrief, Norwell, Blake, D.J. Hayden, etc.  We're in a bind.
I agree. the moncrief one I thought was only for one year so don't think we are on the hook for anything next season. also I think people like Lee were only resigned to a one year deal. And people like parnell, hyde, and Kessler do not have a dead money hit in 2019 so I don't the are on the hook for much if we cut them. Darius is also one that has no dead money hit in 2019.

the only really bad looking dead money hit is bortles
After playing with the caps for a little while on sportstrac. It almost seems like we can save quite a bit of cap releasing guys like Parnell and Darius because they have dead hit for 2019. those two alone wouldgive us in the ball park of 16mil cap right there. If we decide to cut blake we are looking at a 16mil cap hit as apposed to a 20 so save in the ball park of 4 mil cap. Hyde is another one that doesn't have dead cap hit saving us another 4.75 mil. and finally Kessler has 0 cap hit freeing up another 920k. Cutting those 5 guys frees up around 25mil in cap space.

on the flip side of that. if you release Lee you are actually costing yourself about 3 mil in cap space.

I messed around with some ball park numbers signing back grant(3mil), bohanan(1mil), lambo(4mil), and shatley(1.5mil) and came up with around 12mil cap space left over. I basically signed them back at close to what they made last season except lambo who I pushed up to a little above the league average. As well as restructured jacksons deal to save 2.5mil 2019.

in total those moves left us with 15.3mil in cap space to sign our DPs and FA's. not ideal and could use some more tweaking but it is a start.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster...46442829e/

I know sports trac isn't the best but it is fun to play around and get an idea of who we can cut.
Grant is my top priority, period. I doubt it happens, but he would be at the top of my list.

Beyond him, tender the ERFAs, then in this order:
1. Lambo
2. Bohanon
3. Shatley (if cheap)
4. Flowers (if cheap)

Also, Dmitri Flowers, because he's apparently ageless and immortal.
Lamb possibly grant they will probably have interest in Wilson, I think Park in will get interest from other teams to be a starting nickel.
Shatley's my top priority. There's absolutely no depth on the line without him and Linder misses time fairly frequently.

After that, I'd say Lambo and Patmon (who I seem to be overly high on compared to everyone else here) are the only other two I'm high on re-signing.

If the team can get Tommy Bo and/or O'Shaughnessy for cheap, I'd love to bring them back, but they're easily replaceable. Chris Reed and Wilson to significantly lesser extents, and only because they're RFA's - if anybody makes either an offer, I'm fine with letting 'em go.

Ereck Flowers is intriguing because of the first round status, so if no one wants to throw any money his way, I'd be happy bringing him back for cheap and seeing if he can put any of it together.

I'm iffy on Grant because he's a speed back who's coming back from an injury that's notorious for sapping speed. I'd rather not overpay on him and pass up any of the above mentioned, than pay him enough that some of the above can't come back and find that his speed is shot.
Pages: 1 2 3