Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags' D still really good
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?t...S_GAME_AVG

Scoring is what is meaningful, not yards given up. And on that front the Jags were 4th best, only averaging about 2 more points given up per game than the top D, the Ravens. 

And as we are seeing coming down the stretch: D still is very crucial to winning a title. As hard as they try to diminish D, it still matters A LOT. 

As a matter of fact, all of the playoff teams are in the top group of scoring Dees. Take a look. 

1. Bears - playoffs
2. Ravens - PO
3. TN - just missed, not out until last game
4. Jags - an exception
5. Houston - PO
6. Cowboys - PO
7. Pats - PO
8. Chargers - PO
9. Vikes - missed last week of season like TN
10. Colts - PO
11. Seattle - PO
12. Philly - PO

See a trend? If the Jags fix their O line and QB, they can be right in the thick of things in 2019.
If the Jaguars D is good why did rookie Josh Allen threw bombs and had long runs.
(01-04-2019, 06:57 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jaguars D is good why did rookie Josh Allen threw bombs and had long runs.

He threw for 160 and 75 came from one person blowing their deep third assignment. 

People like you, who believe a couple bad games is representative for the entire season, are so dramatic. 

Tom Brady threw for 126 yards (54%) 1 TDs and 2 INTs against the Bills. He's probably bad too.
(01-04-2019, 10:01 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2019, 06:57 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jaguars D is good why did rookie Josh Allen threw bombs and had long runs.

He threw for 160 and 75 came from one person blowing their deep third assignment. 

People like you, who believe a couple bad games is representative for the entire season, are so dramatic

Tom Brady threw for 126 yards (54%) 1 TDs and 2 INTs against the Bills. He's probably bad too.

You, sir, are too kind.
Buwahahahahahahahaaaa
I don’t even think we have to ‘fix’ our offensive line. We get Linder and Cam back then that makes us solid with just those 2.

We need a QB period. After that we need a solid number 1 WR, Lee ain’t that guy.

I can live with our TEs. But we need a rookie to come in right away and be able to make plays.

Any D has a bad day...Bears vs Miami, 1985. My point is Jags D was still good, 4th in scoring. If you hold your opponent to 20 you should win 80% of those.
O's win games
D's win Championships
(01-05-2019, 01:11 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]

Any D has a bad day...Bears vs Miami, 1985. My point is Jags D was still good, 4th in scoring. If you hold your opponent to 20 you should win 80% of those.

It's true. 
The Jags failed didn't do enough to improve their offense in 2018 and then they lost 8 starters to injury on that side of the ball.  

If that defense can continue to hold most opponents to low scores - the Jags have a chance at a winning season next year.  Just gotta' get the O-Line bolstered and find an upgrade at QB.  TE,WR and RB need help too, but fixing the O-Line and QB will be enough to make the offense functional again.

(01-04-2019, 10:34 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t even think we have to ‘fix’ our offensive line. We get Linder and Cam back then that makes us solid with just those 2.
I can live with our TEs. But we need a rookie to come in right away and be able to make plays.
The right side is a giant question mark. Parnell is aging and getting beaten badly by speed rushers on the regular. 
Cann is walking in FA.  And Richardson is an unknown entity.  Might be able to play RG or RT - but we have no idea yet.  After that - there is zero depth. Wells and Shatley are free agents. 
They need to draft a couple of o-linemen and sign a couple of depth level vets.
(01-05-2019, 10:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2019, 01:11 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]Any D has a bad day...Bears vs Miami, 1985. My point is Jags D was still good, 4th in scoring. If you hold your opponent to 20 you should win 80% of those.

It's true. 
The Jags failed didn't do enough to improve their offense in 2018 and then they lost 8 starters to injury on that side of the ball.  

If that defense can continue to hold most opponents to low scores - the Jags have a chance at a winning season next year.  Just gotta' get the O-Line bolstered and find an upgrade at QB.  TE,WR and RB need help too, but fixing the O-Line and QB will be enough to make the offense functional again.

(01-04-2019, 10:34 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t even think we have to ‘fix’ our offensive line. We get Linder and Cam back then that makes us solid with just those 2.
The right side is a giant question mark. Parnell is aging and getting beaten badly by speed rushers on the regular. 
Cann is walking in FA.  And Richardson is an unknown entity.  Might be able to play RG or RT - but we have no idea yet.  After that - there is zero depth. Wells and Shatley are free agents. 
They need to draft a couple of o-linemen and sign a couple of depth level vets.

They need to draft 2 OLmen, sign a mid-level free agent OL. Add some vet QB, draft a RB midround (I am not saying LF is done, but they need some depth as LF could get hurt again). With a little luck, could make the playoffs in 2019. Maybe 2018 taught a little humility for those needing it. 

But as was my original point: The D is far from terrible. NOW, add an O that makes some 1st downs, and all of a sudden the D is even better. And they will need to be, with a div. that looks all of a sudden deep across the entire board: Texans, Indy, TN are ALL good now. Every single team. What div is better? AFCN? No. (Although Browns are on the rise, Balt. is a contender right now and who knows how Cinci with a new coach will be, Steelers verging on a collapse). AFCE? No. AFCC?  2 good teams in KC and LAC. NCFE? Not bad. NFCN? Not as good.

Same reason Brock Osweiller was 28-44 for 380 yards 3 tds vs the #1 Ranked defense (Bears)

Things happen -- need to look at the macro level not micro level
I'm still impressed they held an otherwise hot-handed Andrew Luck to six straight scoreless quarters. This defense really preys upon pocket passers.
If Jaguars D is so good, home come the colts are shutting out watson and company with basic zone D and avg talent level. Jaguars D gave up 20 points each game. Colts D is fundamentally sound on 3rd and long. Jaguars D seem to give 1st downs on 3rd and long frequently.
(01-05-2019, 07:52 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]If Jaguars D is so good, home come the colts are shutting out watson and company with basic zone D and avg talent level. Jaguars D gave up 20 points each game.  Colts D is fundamentally sound on 3rd and long.  Jaguars D seem to give 1st downs on 3rd and long frequently.
Just stop. 

You're making an [BLEEP] of yourself.
(01-05-2019, 07:52 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]If Jaguars D is so good, home come the colts are shutting out watson and company with basic zone D and avg talent level. Jaguars D gave up 20 points each game.  Colts D is fundamentally sound on 3rd and long.  Jaguars D seem to give 1st downs on 3rd and long frequently.

I might be sounding like a broken record, but Jags D was 4th against opp. scoring, and that stat trumps all others. Everything else is a beauty competition. 

And let's not forget: unlike last year, Jags had no help with the O making 1st downs and giving them a rest.

And they held the super hot Luck (just ripped Houston apart until they went into coast mode) to a goose egg. 

No, this D ain't the '85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, but they are not bad at all. Pair them with a top 12 offense and they could go far.
this jags D was like the '77 Falcons. who are the greatest scoring defense on a per game basis EVER (and a season basis but 14 game season makes it harder to compare) but their offense was so bad that a single score meant the lead was insurmountable for a completely inept offense barring a defensive score.
The defense allowed 268 points in 2017, and 316 points in 2018. That's an average of 3 points/game more. The offense on the other hand went from 417 points scored to 245 points scored. That's a decrease of 10.75 points/game.

Granted, I didn't factor in defensive scoring but I'd say defense should not be the FO's focus this off-season, other than for salary cap considerations.
trade telvin
(01-05-2019, 08:40 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]The defense allowed 268 points in 2017, and 316 points in 2018. That's an average of 3 points/game more. The offense on the other hand went from 417 points scored to 245 points scored. That's a decrease of 10.75 points/game.

Granted, I didn't factor in defensive scoring but I'd say defense should not be the FO's focus this off-season, other than for salary cap considerations.

Regardless, they were 4th in the most important category: points scored. That should equate to the playoffs. 

Also not figured in was the improvement to the entire AFCS: Indy, Houston and TN were ALL good teams this season. And they held the red hot Colts to a goose egg.