Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trump tells Pelosi he plans to proceed with State of the Union next week
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Nasty Nancy does NOT run the country

Trump tells Pelosi he plans to proceed with State of the Union next week

President Trump told House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a new letter Wednesday that he still plans to deliver next week’s scheduled State of the Union address from the House floor even though Pelosi urged him to delay the speech because of the government shutdown.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-s...on-address
Don't be surprised if it is the lowest rated state of the union of all time. I'd rather have knitting needles jammed into my ear canals than listen to Trump lie and blame everyone else, why he can't keep a campaign promise. Thank God, I have satellite television. There will no doubt, be something better on.
Good. Force her to look like the child she is.
(01-23-2019, 02:14 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Nasty Nancy does NOT run the country

Trump tells Pelosi he plans to proceed with State of the Union next week

President Trump told House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a new letter Wednesday that he still plans to deliver next week’s scheduled State of the Union address from the House floor even though Pelosi urged him to delay the speech because of the government shutdown.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-s...on-address

Yes, well, unfortunately for him, he is not in charge of the House floor.   There are 3 co-equal branches of government, and he does not have any power or right to give a speech from the House floor without an invitation from the Congress.
I'm pretty sure that if she doesn't want him in the House of Representatives, he doesn't get to be in the House of Representatives.
Separation of powers.
(01-23-2019, 02:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be surprised if it is the lowest rated state of the union of all time. I'd rather have knitting needles jammed into my ear canals than listen to Trump lie and blame everyone else, why he can't keep a campaign promise. Thank God, I have satellite television. There will no doubt, be something better on.

So you're already deaf from every one of Obama's SOTU speeches?
Can you imagine Nancy having to sit there next to Pence for 90 minutes with no off-screen time while he talks about his 3+% GDP he accomplished in his 2nd year in office? This is made for TV stuff.
Who watches these things, anyway? "The state of the union is great, everything is going great, here's what I'd like to see in the next year, blah blah blah."
It's sad that Pelosi is using The House Chamber as a political pawn.  If she wants the government shutdown to end then she needs to be willing to not only compromise, but also uphold her duty and Oath of Office.
Time for Nancy to be the 21st member of Congress to be expelled. She is derelict in her duties to serve the American people.
(01-23-2019, 05:43 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]Time for Nancy to be the 21st member of Congress to be expelled. She is derelict in her duties to serve the American people.

Ok, explain to me how postponing a stump speech is dereliction of duty.
(01-23-2019, 06:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 05:43 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]Time for Nancy to be the 21st member of Congress to be expelled. She is derelict in her duties to serve the American people.

Refusing to uphold her Oath of Office.  It has nothing to do with the speech and everything to do with border security.
(01-23-2019, 07:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 06:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, explain to me how postponing a stump speech is dereliction of duty.

Refusing to uphold her Oath of Office.  It has nothing to do with the speech and everything to do with border security.

Yeah I don't think that's in the oath of office. 
Haven't read it in a while though.
(01-23-2019, 06:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]

What about derelict was confusing? She has not uphold the position in good standing. The major issue is refusing to refer appropriation as submitted by the executive office as per House rules.
(01-23-2019, 08:06 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 06:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, explain to me how postponing a stump speech is dereliction of duty.
What about derelict was confusing? She has not uphold the position in good standing. The major issue is refusing to refer appropriation as submitted by the executive office as per House rules.

Okay well House rules are not in the Constitution and they are not enforceable by the courts. I don't think following House rules was part of her oath of office. I could be wrong though.
(01-23-2019, 07:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]

How so? I wasn't aware that refusing to push forward with unpopular legislation was somehow tantamount to dereliction of duty.
(01-23-2019, 08:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 08:06 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]What about derelict was confusing? She has not uphold the position in good standing. The major issue is refusing to refer appropriation as submitted by the executive office as per House rules.

Okay well House rules are not in the Constitution and they are not enforceable by the courts. I don't think following House rules was part of her oath of office. I could be wrong though.
You would be wrong in stating they are not enforceable. Congressional punishment specifics are not in the Constitution. However, Article I, Section IV speaks to the punishment of members based on House rules. Unfortunately, she is not subject to impeachment, so expulsion is worst that can happen. 

https://rules.house.gov/resources
(01-23-2019, 08:54 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 07:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Refusing to uphold her Oath of Office.  It has nothing to do with the speech and everything to do with border security.

How so? I wasn't aware that refusing to push forward with unpopular legislation was somehow tantamount to dereliction of duty.

Have you heard of her negotiating in good faith or even showing to floor discussions? How about meeting with other members at the White House? Nope, she refuses. 

The executive branch is required to submit a record of appropriations. In turn, the Speaker is required to refer this record to committees to build legislation subject to a vote. They don’t have to approve it but it must go to the floor. Hence, she is derelict in her actions, well, lack of. She must also function in good faith on behalf of the U.S. House of Representatives which she refuses to show face on the floor. She is more than happy to be on TV or Facebook feeds while she has a chair fill-in. Having a member fill-in is not unusual but during this situation it is unacceptable.

[Image: what-would-you-say-you-do-here.jpg]
(01-23-2019, 09:39 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 08:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Okay well House rules are not in the Constitution and they are not enforceable by the courts. I don't think following House rules was part of her oath of office. I could be wrong though.
You would be wrong in stating they are not enforceable. Congressional punishment specifics are not in the Constitution. However, Article I, Section IV speaks to the punishment of members based on House rules. Unfortunately, she is not subject to impeachment, so expulsion is worst that can happen. 

Sure. the only ones who can fix the problem you describe are other members of the House of Representatives.
You should try calling your representative and letting them know the you think Nancy is derelict in her duties. You should also try to call whichever political party you are a member of and let them know the same thing. Maybe encourage them to have their candidates in the next cycle pledged to hold Nancy accountable for this.
get some friends together and have meetings about it. serve food so a lot of people show up. invite the Press.
Write a lot of letters.
Get your friends to write a lot of letters.
Etc.
(01-23-2019, 10:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 09:39 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]You would be wrong in stating they are not enforceable. Congressional punishment specifics are not in the Constitution. However, Article I, Section IV speaks to the punishment of members based on House rules. Unfortunately, she is not subject to impeachment, so expulsion is worst that can happen. 

Sure. the only ones who can fix the problem you describe are other members of the House of Representatives.
You should try calling your representative and letting them know the you think Nancy is derelict in her duties. You should also try to call whichever political party you are a member of and let them know the same thing. Maybe encourage them to have their candidates in the next cycle pledged to hold Nancy accountable for this.
get some friends together and have meetings about it. serve food so a lot of people show up. invite the Press.
Write a lot of letters.
Get your friends to write a lot of letters.
Etc.

That's a great idea but it won't work.  There are no members of my party in the House.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9