Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Calais Campbell talking contract restructure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...structure/

Quote: Campbell acknowledged talks have begun with the team about reducing his $14.5 million camp number for 2019.

“I think it’s more with restructuring with an extension,” Campbell said, via John Reid of jacksonville.com. “That’s the only way to do it, and that’s something that was talked about that could possibly happen.”
Campbell signed a four-year, $60 million deal with the Jaguars in 2017. He has had 25 sacks in the two seasons since.
“At the end of the day, it’s a beautiful game,” Campbell said. “I love it, and I get paid a whole lot of money to do it, which is even better. As far as restructuring and moving money around, yes sure, that’s part of the game.”

Expect to hear more stories like this in the coming weeks. Cap relief is incoming.
(01-23-2019, 06:48 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...structure/

Quote: Campbell acknowledged talks have begun with the team about reducing his $14.5 million camp number for 2019.

“I think it’s more with restructuring with an extension,” Campbell said, via John Reid of jacksonville.com. “That’s the only way to do it, and that’s something that was talked about that could possibly happen.”
Campbell signed a four-year, $60 million deal with the Jaguars in 2017. He has had 25 sacks in the two seasons since.
“At the end of the day, it’s a beautiful game,” Campbell said. “I love it, and I get paid a whole lot of money to do it, which is even better. As far as restructuring and moving money around, yes sure, that’s part of the game.”

Expect to hear more stories like this in the coming weeks. Cap relief is incoming.

Restructuring isn't really cap relief overall. Sure it reduces his number this year helping us get under, but all that savings is pushed into future caps. Restructuring contracts is why we had to gut the roster in the years before Coughlin was fired. The players love restructuring because all that money put on future caps is paid to him with a big, up-front check virtually guaranteeing the player is glued to the roster for several more years even if he regresses.
(01-23-2019, 06:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 06:48 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...structure/

Restructuring isn't really cap relief overall. Sure it reduces his number this year helping us get under, but all that savings is pushed into future caps. Restructuring contracts is why we had to gut the roster in the years before Coughlin was fired. The players love restructuring because all that money put on future caps is paid to him with a big, up-front check virtually guaranteeing the player is glued to the roster for several more years even if he regresses.

I am by no means a "cap guru" but I would think that if they gave him enough of his remaining "guaranteed money" and current salary from the remainder of his contract up front, and spread the "non-guaranteed" money over the new contract it would clear some cap space, correct?
(01-23-2019, 06:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]

True, but this FO has shown it's capable of getting deals done that protect the team's cap. Campbell is a cap savings if cut prior to the 2019 season because the contract was designed with an out for the team after two years in case he didn't perform (Julius Thomas had a similar deal, didn't perform, and was gone after two seasons). I except to see a similar deal to be done this time except with the out moved to prior to the 2021 season.
(01-23-2019, 07:25 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 06:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Restructuring isn't really cap relief overall. Sure it reduces his number this year helping us get under, but all that savings is pushed into future caps. Restructuring contracts is why we had to gut the roster in the years before Coughlin was fired. The players love restructuring because all that money put on future caps is paid to him with a big, up-front check virtually guaranteeing the player is glued to the roster for several more years even if he regresses.

I am by no means a "cap guru" but I would think that if they gave him enough of his remaining "guaranteed money" and current salary from the remainder of his contract up front, and spread the "non-guaranteed" money over the new contract it would clear some cap space, correct?

Yes correct.  There is a way to work the money that allows you to ease into the hit down the road.  Our issue was pushing everything out to where an expansion draft was the only way to get bailed out.  The cap guy we have is very good at his job.  The Jets didn't like him as GM but he was very good at the Cap.
If you want a shot at competing next year, find a way to keep him.
(01-24-2019, 02:08 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]If you want a shot at competing next year, find a way to keep him.

Find a way? Dude is under contract. His contract is VERY team friendly too... most his guaranteed money has passed. He'd only settle for future guaranteed dollars... Unless ofcourse the Jags are planning to release him. That's something else.
Good for both sides, it frees up a little cap this year, and if Calais produces he will likely end up making a pretty penny over the next 2 seasons. This team has some solid leadership in place ( I still believe in Marrone and Coughlin speaks for itself) in the FO and Campbell is a leader in the locker room.

If we get ourselves a competent QB who can keep our offense moving and the defense isn't on the field for 3/4 of the game, he should remain productive as a starter.
Next Dareus restructure and then cut Bortles using June 5th date lol
We don't deserve this guy.
(01-24-2019, 11:23 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]Next Dareus restructure and then cut Bortles using June 5th date lol

Shhh. You mean after the first game in Spetember but before end of October.  Ninja
(01-24-2019, 05:56 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2019, 02:08 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]If you want a shot at competing next year, find a way to keep him.

Find a way? Dude is under contract. His contract is VERY team friendly too... most his guaranteed money has passed. He'd only settle for future guaranteed dollars... Unless ofcourse the Jags are planning to release him. That's something else.

Many people in here have said he would probably be released.
(01-24-2019, 04:12 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2019, 05:56 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Find a way? Dude is under contract. His contract is VERY team friendly too... most his guaranteed money has passed. He'd only settle for future guaranteed dollars... Unless ofcourse the Jags are planning to release him. That's something else.

Many?
(01-24-2019, 05:56 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Find a way? Dude is under contract. His contract is VERY team friendly too... most his guaranteed money has passed. He'd only settle for future guaranteed dollars... Unless ofcourse the Jags are planning to release him. That's something else.

Well that just isn't true lol
Cut him. We don't need him.

Not factual.
(01-24-2019, 05:08 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: [ -> ]Cut him. We don't need him.

Your takes just get better and better.
Oh no the cap! How will the Jags survive?!
(01-23-2019, 07:25 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2019, 06:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Restructuring isn't really cap relief overall. Sure it reduces his number this year helping us get under, but all that savings is pushed into future caps. Restructuring contracts is why we had to gut the roster in the years before Coughlin was fired. The players love restructuring because all that money put on future caps is paid to him with a big, up-front check virtually guaranteeing the player is glued to the roster for several more years even if he regresses.

When restructuring, don't look at guaranteed vs non-guaranteed money. Just look at his base salary. Restructuring is rather simple. They take the bulk of his base salary this year, and in some cases include some from future years, and then turn all that money into an up-front check. Players love to do this, but only core player get the opportunity, and then only when a team is in dire straits. All that money paid to him is then spread out over the length of an extended contract. Yes, this creates all sorts of cap room this season, but what I was saying is that it really weighs heavy on future caps.