Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Super Bowl was Instructive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Over the twenty-four seasons of Jaguars football, few things were as consistently as annoying to me as the Times-Union's Tuesday morning QB feature.  There was one comment in particular that lingers in my mind as particularly noxious, and that was the sentiment that TC needed to go to Tallahassee or Gainesville to learn how to win from a couple of college coaches who had never coached in the NFL, who had so many innate advantages in terms of home grown talent, eight wins a season were pretty much guaranteed with good recruiting.  However, if you would permit me this near dalliance with hypocrisy for the moment, I'm going to employ a somewhat similar line of reasoning here.  I maintain that if the Jaguars were paying attention, they could learn a lot from the Patriots watching yesterday's Super Bowl.

Let me preface by stating that for the purposes of this discussion, my focus here is primarily on the defense for three practical reasons. First, the offensive line suffered so many injuries last year, there was no circumstances under which they could have had sustained success or consistency.  Secondly, the Patriots offer Brady, the GOAT QB.  GOAT QBs are so rare, most offenses are going to suffer by comparison to the Patriots.  Finally, despite the defense being this team's clear strength over the last few years, I focus on this side of the ball because in a lot of ways, it was the most disappointing/underachieving unit on the team last season.  I continue by stating that my thoughts are not designed to disparage our coaching staff, though plenty of able and astute posters can take these same facts and argue against them.  But history has proven that few can devise a defensive game plan like Belichick, who has shut down the Walsh-Montana-Rice led offenses of the 49ers, the Kelly-Thomas-Reed led Bills of the 1990s, the greatest show on Turf Rams, the Manning/Luck Colts offenses, and now the McVay led Rams.  It's not a knock against Marrone/Wash to suggest they would suffer by comparison to Belichick in that area.  However, in terms of professionalism and playing effectively as a team, the Jaguars suffer by a fair and warranted critical comparison to the champs.

Judging strictly on talent, an examination of the Patriots and Jaguars defensive rosters would show maybe two or three guys on the Patriots who could start for the Jaguars:  LB Donta Hightower would start over Myles Jack, CB Stephon Gilmore would start over A.J. Bouye, and SS Patrick Chung would start over Barry Church.  In offering those three, I readily none of those replacements would be wholly without controversy.  But those three notwithstanding, there is no way that Patriots defense is more talented player for player than the defense we have here.

Yet when I follow the offseason, you don't hear any Patriots giving brutally honest antagonistic interviews like Ramsey gave.  Make no mistake, I absolutely believe players-especially those who walk the walk like Ramsey- have as much right to voice their opinions as candidly as anyone else.  But they don't seem to invite unneeded controversy with their words.  Yet when I watch the Patriots play, notably absent are galling mental mistakes that so riddled this defense last season. Though I concede Belichick may disagree, absent are the ridiculous personal foul penalties and blown assignments that spread through our defense like the plague.  Yet when I watch the Patriots play, I don't see the games where I question the overall effort the way we did on the Thursday night game against the tacks.  Granted the team was working on a short week, with the burden of trying to carry the team all year with very scant help from the offense, but I never seem to see any performances like that from the Patriots.   They may have games where they aren't as effective as they would prefer to be.  But on the whole, the other team makes the big plays (see the Keelan Cole catch) to achieve those results.  The Patriots make them earn it and don't give non tax deductible charitable contributions to opposing offenses the way the Jaguars' defense did last year.  When the Jaguars play a focused brand of football on the defensive side of the ball, when the team is motivated and adhere to their assignments, when the energy and effort are there, they are capable of some amazing things (see the shut out of a red hot Colts team).  But too often last year, the free yardage and points readily surrendered by penalties and other mental mistakes hurt this team's performance last year and, if not curtailed, can cause more damage to this team's chances once the offense is back up to a more acceptable level.

As distasteful as the 2018 season was for the Jaguars, perhaps, in some sick and twisted way, it was needed for the team to mature.  Maybe the team needed to learn that as talented as they are on defense, they can't just throw their helmets on the field and expect the opposition to roll over.  Maybe they needed to learn they weren't invincible.  But I submit a close study of the Patriots would be a good way for this team to internalize those lessons and become the team we think they can be.
I heard it was the most boring Superbowl of all times.
(02-04-2019, 09:42 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]I heard it was the most boring Superbowl of all times.

I would be Ok to see the Jags win a boring superbowl....
(02-04-2019, 10:27 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 09:42 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]I heard it was the most boring Superbowl of all times.

I would be Ok to see the Jags win a boring superbowl....

Tell me about it.

I would wear that recording out watching it so much.
(02-04-2019, 10:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 10:27 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: [ -> ]I would be Ok to see the Jags win a boring superbowl....

Tell me about it.

Same.  I wonder how many people now want to classify Goff as a bust.  Actually in LA I don't think they even care this morning.  It is so easy to be jealous of the Patriots but man they are a machine.
(02-04-2019, 11:07 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 10:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Tell me about it.

Same.  I wonder how many people now want to classify Goff as a bust.  Actually in LA I don't think they even care this morning.  It is so easy to be jealous of the Patriots but man they are a machine.

I wouldn't classify Goff as a bust, but I'm betting there are many who are blaming him for the loss, and with good reason.

You can make the argument Goff is purely a system QB and could only thrive in a scheme like McVay's.
fisherscum already called him a bust after his rookie year
I don't think Gilmore is better than Bouye.
(02-04-2019, 11:23 AM)P. Haze Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Gilmore is better than Bouye.

I would have to disagree and would even argue he is more on the level of Ramsey.
Defense is great. Get a quarterback. Get a TE or two, and get some WRs.
It's how the Pats work, they never have high draft picks, they never spend big in FA, they find players that fit their scheme. They don't have to find players that carry their teams, it really is a case of do your individual job. And They make it work. Flores the DC called a damn near perfect game. 

The Rams looked nervous and not having Gurley to help take the pressure off Goff, they struggled to find a way to move the ball all game.

Not much PI or roughing calls called last night, and Goff took some hits.
(02-04-2019, 11:14 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]fisherscum already called him a bust after his rookie year
Excuse me?
The pats have Bill Belicheck.  The guy is an evil genius and maybe the best defensive mind of all time.   Give him our defense and we are instantly competing for rings.
(02-04-2019, 12:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The pats have Bill Belicheck.  The guy is an evil genius and maybe the best defensive mind of all time.   Give him our defense and we are instantly competing for rings.

lol ...this is the NFL were're talking about. He's had one of the best (some say the GOAT) QBs of the past 18 years. The Jags still need a QB.
(02-04-2019, 12:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 12:17 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]The pats have Bill Belicheck.  The guy is an evil genius and maybe the best defensive mind of all time.   Give him our defense and we are instantly competing for rings.

lol ...this is the NFL were're talking about. He's had one of the best (some say the GOAT) QBs of the past 18 years. The Jags still need a QB.
The goat didn't win that game last night. Defense wins championships. The fact they totally shutdown the rams won that game.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

People may not like him but damn you have to respect him and his achievements. I remember them winning that 1st SB against the Rams and that was one of the biggest upsets of all time. 9 SB's in 18 years kinda stops you being an underdog!  

He's beaten one of the best D's of all time (Seattle) and one of best O's (Falcons). They play situational football, demand high standards from their players, and they have a never say die attitude. 

Look at someone like Edelman, undersized college QB they pick up in the 7th and try to make a WR. That's Edelmans 3rd SB, won MVP and is 2nd in playoff receptions behind the untouchable Jerry Rice. Anyone remember Shoelaces?

They defy everything.

(02-04-2019, 12:54 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 12:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: [ -> ]lol ...this is the NFL were're talking about. He's had one of the best (some say the GOAT) QBs of the past 18 years. The Jags still need a QB.
The goat didn't win that game last night. Defense wins championships. The fact they totally shutdown the rams won that game.

That's the best I've seen a Pats D play for some time. Maybe Patricia wasn't the mad rocket science genius some made him out to be.

Flores looks like he may be going to the Dolphins but the D won the game, basically asked Brady to get one TD and it was over.
(02-04-2019, 12:54 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 12:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: [ -> ]lol ...this is the NFL were're talking about. He's had one of the best (some say the GOAT) QBs of the past 18 years. The Jags still need a QB.

Defense wins championships sometimes. It certainly hasn't won most of the Patriots Super Bowl wins. Defense failed them last year. And no way do the Pats win the SB vs the Falcons without Tom Brady.

Fact is usually the best team in the NFL has a pretty good defense to go with a very good offense. Neither team would be in the SB without their offense.
(02-04-2019, 11:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2019, 11:07 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Same.  I wonder how many people now want to classify Goff as a bust.  Actually in LA I don't think they even care this morning.  It is so easy to be jealous of the Patriots but man they are a machine.

I wouldn't classify Goff as a bust, but I'm betting there are many who are blaming him for the loss, and with good reason.

You can make the argument Goff is purely a system QB and could only thrive in a scheme like McVay's.

(02-04-2019, 11:14 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]fisherscum already called him a bust after his rookie year

He has struggled without a running game. McVay needs to do a better job to get more out of him or he needs to replace him. McVay uses the run to make that offense go and with whatever is going on with Gurley has killed their offense the last month or 2.

He isn't a bust, but probably not a franchise QB. There are very few franchise QBs though, so they may be able to find a way to win.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Early in the season Goff was taking advantage of the sideline communication with coaching for the looks that defenses were showing. I know their production dropped off when teams figured that out and started waiting for the headset to be cut off before throwing in wrinkles. He will need to study in the offseason and get coached up.
(02-04-2019, 08:03 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Early in the season Goff was taking advantage of the sideline communication with coaching for the looks that defenses were showing. I know their production dropped off when teams figured that out and started waiting for the headset to be cut off before throwing in wrinkles. He will need to study in the offseason and get coached up.
They need to go back to cutting the communication once they break the huddle. Too much help going on but I guess the league wants the young QBs to succeed

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2