Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Veganism Can Lead to Mental Retardation, Doctor Warns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Veganism Can Lead to Mental Retardation, Doctor Warns

A top doctor is now warning that the vegan diet touted by so many liberals can lead to mental retardation.

Honestly, that would explain a lot.

https://conservativepost.com/veganism-ca...WQ8yn4f_yE
[Image: giphy.gif]
So I spent a bit of time looking around to find what study this is supposedly based on since the article linked doesn't provide any sources to their statements (surprise) and I can't find anything other such quality sources such as The Sun and a few blogs, all of which are basically variants of this article and of course lack any kind of original source.

Best I can find out is this concerns a diet which leads to a Vitamin B12 deficiency, with animal products being a major source of B12 and a deficiency "can potentially cause severe and irreversible damage, especially to the brain and nervous system." This has been known for absolutely ages to the point that the UK Vegan Society even acknowledges that you need to replace your B12 intake either with vitamin fortified foods or just outright take a vitamin pill.

So no, a vegan diet will not give you brain damage, a terrible and unbalanced diet (vegan or not) absolutely can. But of course, expecting a website like the "conservative post" to actually tell all the facts and not twist a single statement into a juicy and misleading headline is probably a good sign of brain damage so who am I to judge?
(02-08-2019, 02:36 PM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Veganism Can Lead to Mental Retardation, Doctor Warns

A top doctor is now warning that the vegan diet touted by so many liberals can lead to mental retardation.

Honestly, that would explain a lot.

https://conservativepost.com/veganism-ca...WQ8yn4f_yE

The doctor could have cause and effect mixed up.
(02-08-2019, 05:18 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]So I spent a bit of time looking around to find what study this is supposedly based on since the article linked doesn't provide any sources to their statements (surprise) and I can't find anything other such quality sources such as The Sun and a few blogs, all of which are basically variants of this article and of course lack any kind of original source.

Best I can find out is this concerns a diet which leads to a Vitamin B12 deficiency, with animal products being a major source of B12 and a deficiency "can potentially cause severe and irreversible damage, especially to the brain and nervous system." This has been known for absolutely ages to the point that the UK Vegan Society even acknowledges that you need to replace your B12 intake either with vitamin fortified foods or just outright take a vitamin pill.

So no, a vegan diet will not give you brain damage, a terrible and unbalanced diet (vegan or not) absolutely can. But of course, expecting a website like the "conservative post" to actually tell all the facts and not twist a single statement into a juicy and misleading headline is probably a good sign of brain damage so who am I to judge?

You should keep your political comments in the appropriate forum. This is about the alternative lifestyle of veganism thank you very much.
(02-08-2019, 05:18 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]So no, a vegan diet will not give you brain damage, a terrible and unbalanced diet (vegan or not) absolutely can. 

In other news, researchers have discovered that jumping from the top of the Wells Fargo building is actually harmless, but impacting the sidewalk at 120 mph will kill you.
Am I the only one thinking this is backwards? Perhaps, mental retardation leads to veganism?