Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Fond Memory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
yeah that was a good day to be a Jaguars fan. Thanks for the link Big Grin
Was the link deleted?

FWIW, it was a review of the 62-7 win over Miami.
(02-11-2019, 11:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Was the link deleted?

FWIW, it was a review of the 62-7 win over Miami.

Still working for me. Here it is again, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egD1lFJS...e=youtu.be
I remember this game alot, fin fans still hate us ?, I was just getting into football around this time so was such a blessing to have witnessed this.
(02-11-2019, 01:11 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember this game alot, fin fans still hate us ?, I was just getting into football around this time so was such a blessing to have witnessed this.

I had the good fortune of being at that game.  What a blast.

Those first few years as a STH, there was a guy sitting near me who was a Dolphins fan.

Decent enough guy, but every so often he would talk noise about the Jaguars and talk up the fish.

Then 62-7 happened.

In the strangest of coincidences, I never saw the guy again.

On another note, I can vividly recall fans trashing Brackens for the play he made against Marino forcing the fumble, recovering it, then scoring.

Never mind the tremendous first step he showed in beating Richmond Webb.  Forget that he forced first ballot hall of famer Dan Marino to fumble.

Put aside the seven points he put on the board to help bury the Fish in a home playoff game.

Fans used that to trash him.

I still shake my head over that.
Imagine what Brackens would do paired with Campbell and Ngakoue. Ah such nice thoughts.
(02-11-2019, 04:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine what Brackens would do paired with Campbell and Ngakoue.  Ah such nice thoughts.

Ive always wandered what a healthy & motivated Brackens couldve done with Big Hen and Stroud.
(02-11-2019, 04:32 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 04:10 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine what Brackens would do paired with Campbell and Ngakoue.  Ah such nice thoughts.

Ive always wandered what a healthy & motivated Brackens couldve done with Big Hen and Stroud.

I think that defense would have enabled us to beat New England.

The one thing that defense couldn't do was rush the passer, especially from the edge. 

They tried to remedy the problem.

They signed Reggie Hayward as a free agent from Denver.  Solid player, but he tore his achilles and was never the same.

When that signing went south, they signed Aaron Kampman.  Again, solid player and solid pro, but was towards the end of his career, and a knee injury ended that.

Finally in desperation, they made the two trades up in the 2008 draft for Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves, and we know how that turned out.
(02-11-2019, 04:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 04:32 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]Ive always wandered what a healthy & motivated Brackens couldve done with Big Hen and Stroud.

The one thing that defense couldn't do was rush the passer, especially from the edge. 

They signed Reggie Hayward as a free agent from Denver.  Solid player, but he tore his achilles and was never the same.

When that signing went south, they signed Aaron Kampman.  Again, solid player and solid pro, but was towards the end of his career, and a knee injury ended that.

Finally in desperation, they made the two trades up in the 2008 draft for Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves, and we know how that turned out.

In the year we drafted Derrick Harvey and Groves. We traded: A first, 2 3rd rounders, and a 4th for harvey (I know we got a 1st round pick back) and for Groves (R.I.P.) they gave up a 5th and a 7th to swap picks.

Now consider. Jared Allen was on the block that year from the Chiefs and ended up being traded to the Vikings for a 1st and a 3rd. Considering all the picks we gave up for the aforementioned bust pass rushers. Where would we be if we had acquired Jared Allen instead? A guy that was PROVEN, and while the Vikings had higher picks (and are in the opposite conference) we likely wouldve had to give up the other 3rd or the 4th still ... but he'd be wayyy cheaper in terms of draft compensation; and i can say for certain he would've been the pass rusher that 2007 defense was missing.
(02-11-2019, 06:21 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 04:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I think that defense would have enabled us to beat New England.

In the year we drafted Derrick Harvey and Groves. We traded: A first, 2 3rd rounders, and a 4th for harvey (I know we got a 1st round pick back) and for Groves (R.I.P.) they gave up a 5th and a 7th to swap picks.

Now consider. Jared Allen was on the block that year from the Chiefs and ended up being traded to the Vikings for a 1st and a 3rd. Considering all the picks we gave up for the aforementioned bust pass rushers. Where would we be if we had acquired Jared Allen instead? A guy that was PROVEN, and while the Vikings had higher picks (and are in the opposite conference) we likely wouldve had to give up the other 3rd or the 4th still ... but he'd be wayyy cheaper in terms of draft compensation; and i can say for certain he would've been the pass rusher that 2007 defense was missing.

Excellent recollection.

I remember being opposed to an Allen acquisition, because he was facing a season long suspension with another substance abuse issue (he had multiple DUIs, as I recall).

As it turns out, that may well have been the guy that put the defense over the top.

Looking back, I never seem to get the substance abuse guys right.

I remember in 2012, Justin Blackmon was my preferred WR target over Notre Dame wideout Michael Floyd.

In large part, I preferred Blackmon because he had the one DUI in college, while Floyd had several alcohol related incidents at Notre Dame, which almost got him kicked off of the team.

Blackmon wound up being a suspension waiting to happen, while Floyd stayed in the league several years before finally relapsing.
(02-11-2019, 06:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 06:21 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]In the year we drafted Derrick Harvey and Groves. We traded: A first, 2 3rd rounders, and a 4th for harvey (I know we got a 1st round pick back) and for Groves (R.I.P.) they gave up a 5th and a 7th to swap picks.

Excellent recollection.

I remember being opposed to an Allen acquisition, because he was facing a season long suspension with another substance abuse issue (he had multiple DUIs, as I recall).

As it turns out, that may well have been the guy that put the defense over the top.

I remember in 2012, Justin Blackmon was my preferred WR target over Notre Dame wideout Michael Floyd.

In large part, I preferred Blackmon because he had the one DUI in college, while Floyd had several alcohol related incidents at Notre Dame, which almost got him kicked off of the team.

Blackmon wound up being a suspension waiting to happen, while Floyd stayed in the league several years before finally relapsing.

2007 was the playoff season
2008 season was the Harvey draft and Allen's free agency. I dont think Allen would have helped that 08 team that had too many injuries and just buckled under the expectations(familiar?)
It definitely would have been better for the soon to be rebuild to get Allen over trading an entire draft class for two players
I was there and loved every minute of that game. The following weeks weren’t so much fun though.
(02-11-2019, 06:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 06:21 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]In the year we drafted Derrick Harvey and Groves. We traded: A first, 2 3rd rounders, and a 4th for harvey (I know we got a 1st round pick back) and for Groves (R.I.P.) they gave up a 5th and a 7th to swap picks.

Excellent recollection.

If I remember correctly, Allen was a free agent, and had decided against even visiting Jacksonville.

And he wasn't polite about it.
(02-11-2019, 04:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 04:32 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]Ive always wandered what a healthy & motivated Brackens couldve done with Big Hen and Stroud.

We DID beat New England. If the refs don't call that phantom PI on Bouye (which was complete BS) and they don't blow MJ down on the fumble (also complete BS), we win that game easily. I will never get over that loss, and I have never taken the NFL as seriously since. Clearly rigged for big market teams, just like this year with the NFCC debacle in New Orleans. They obviously wanted L.A in because it's the big west coast market vs the big east coast market (Boston), just like the Celtics/Lakers NBA rivalry.
(02-13-2019, 10:39 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 04:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I think that defense would have enabled us to beat New England.

We DID beat New England. If the refs don't call that phantom PI on Bouye (which was complete BS) and they don't blow MJ down on the fumble (also complete BS), we win that game easily. I will never get over that loss, and I have never taken the NFL as seriously since. Clearly rigged for big market teams, just like this year with the NFCC debacle in New Orleans. They obviously wanted L.A in because it's the big west coast market vs the big east coast market (Boston), just like the Celtics/Lakers NBA rivalry.

I'm referring to the game in the 2007 season, not the one in 2017.

(02-13-2019, 10:08 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-11-2019, 06:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent recollection.

If I remember correctly, Allen was a free agent, and had decided against even visiting Jacksonville.

He was traded and not a free agent at the time.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chi...the-chiefs
(02-13-2019, 10:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2019, 10:39 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]We DID beat New England. If the refs don't call that phantom PI on Bouye (which was complete BS) and they don't blow MJ down on the fumble (also complete BS), we win that game easily. I will never get over that loss, and I have never taken the NFL as seriously since. Clearly rigged for big market teams, just like this year with the NFCC debacle in New Orleans. They obviously wanted L.A in because it's the big west coast market vs the big east coast market (Boston), just like the Celtics/Lakers NBA rivalry.

I'm referring to the game in the 2007 season, not the one in 2017.

(02-13-2019, 10:08 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: [ -> ]If I remember correctly, Allen was a free agent, and had decided against even visiting Jacksonville.

ahh i see. sorry
(02-13-2019, 10:52 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2019, 10:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I'm referring to the game in the 2007 season, not the one in 2017.

ahh i see. sorry

No problem.
Jay Fiedler. Wow. That's a throwback. I forgot about him. Lol