Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Options exercised: Campbell, Davis, McCray
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it's official...ASJ is gone.
(02-18-2019, 06:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]So it's official...ASJ is gone.

That's a $4.3 million savings on the cap.
We can probably sign ASJ back for cheaper if we want.
(02-18-2019, 07:20 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]We can probably sign ASJ back for cheaper if we want.

If we wanted him back we'd have picked up the option
(02-18-2019, 07:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 07:20 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]We can probably sign ASJ back for cheaper if we want.

If we wanted him back we'd have picked up the option
Not at that cost, he hasn't stayed on the field or performed to get more than a $1 million prove it deal with incentives

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
These moves are not at all surprising. McCray and Davis are valuable special teams players and adequate enough on defense to fill in when needed. Campbell continues to play at a high level and provides leadership in the locker room and on the field. ASJ had already let us know about his fate and the tight end class in this draft is very strong from top to bottom. Caldwell and Coughlin will just need to decide if they address this position in round 1 with Hockenson or wait until the 3rd round with someone like Isaac Nauta, Caleb Wilson or Josh Oliver. If they pass on Hockenson, Nauta could be the guy. He seems like a Coughlin-type player. High character, great blocker and very good hands. Also, his uncle is Joel Smenge- which gives him a connection to the Jaguars. He was under-used as a pass catcher at Georgia after being a 5 star recruit out of high school.
(02-18-2019, 09:00 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 07:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]If we wanted him back we'd have picked up the option
Not at that cost, he hasn't stayed on the field or performed to get more than a $1 million prove it deal with incentives

It's very little extra cost for a huge position of need. As NYC alluded to there's probably more going on their than just the injury.  

Still buckets of potential and was a damn good blocker when he was on the field , even if he doesn't hit, it's a risk worth taking
(02-18-2019, 07:14 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]

That's a $4.3 million savings on the cap.

So then we are close to the cap now, either just over or just under?
(02-18-2019, 09:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 09:00 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]Not at that cost, he hasn't stayed on the field or performed to get more than a $1 million prove it deal with incentives

It's very little extra cost for a huge position of need. As NYC alluded to there's probably more going on their than just the injury.  

Still buckets of potential and was a damn good blocker when he was on the field , even if he doesn't hit, it's a risk worth taking
I actually think Jesse James may be cheaper, and he has a better history of being available to play. I may try to target him instead.
(02-19-2019, 03:39 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 09:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]It's very little extra cost for a huge position of need. As NYC alluded to there's probably more going on their than just the injury.  

I actually think Jesse James may be cheaper, and he has a better history of being available to play. I may try to target him instead.

He's 25 , just had his breakout year , good blocker and in a pretty sparse TE fa class. I'd like him but he's likely gonna cost more
I thought ASJ was going to be an awesome free agent signing. Too bad it did not work out.
(02-18-2019, 10:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 07:14 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]That's a $4.3 million savings on the cap.

So then we are close to the cap now, either just over or just under?

$3.9 million over on total, $2.4 million over for the Top 51 contracts. Neither of those figures include an estimated $9.2 million in draft picks.

Well, he did say goodbye to the Jags fan base a month ago only to have the team indicate nothing had been decided yet.  I know that the fan base was devastated by the news that the beloved TE was not part of the future here after having such a productive career here in Jax.   Laughing

Glad to see they have offiically committed to Campbell.  It will be intersting to see if they rework his deal to create some additional cap room.  It wouldn't surprise me to see them do the same with Dareus as well.  If the defense can come back almost whole next year (minus Church and Jackson), they should rebound nicely next season.  With Capers now on board as a defensive assistant, it will be interesting to see how that changes the look of Wash's defense.  

Special teams should continue to be a strength with the other two guys having their options picked up.  

With the changes on offense (hopefully upgrades at QB, TE, OL and WR), there's a lot to look forward to with this team next season.
(02-19-2019, 12:19 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 10:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]So then we are close to the cap now, either just over or just under?

$3.9 million over on total, $2.4 million over for the Top 51 contracts. Neither of those figures include an estimated $9.2 million in draft picks.

Releasing Jackson, and reworking the deals for Campbell and Dareus (or releasing Dareus if he doesn't rework) will create the space this team needs to do what they want this off season.
(02-19-2019, 12:19 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2019, 10:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]So then we are close to the cap now, either just over or just under?

And thats before Bortles june 1st cut saves us $6.5 mil on the cap, and also Hyde (personally i like him and hope he sticks) his production at his price tag and 0 dead money means hes a likely cap casualty.