Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: OK, even I think this is outrageous
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Students at South Carolina school told to pick cotton, sing ‘slave song’ on field trip, report says

A South Carolina mother was outraged after her 10-year-old son was told to pick cotton and sing a “slave song” while on an elementary school field trip -- but the school reportedly defended the activity, saying it was about the "Great Depression."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/students-at-s...eport-says
There is definitely an important history lesson here and one that should not be swept under the rug but the execution is quite the failure. I could take a group of students to a civil war ground but I’m not going to subject them to musket and cannon fodder!
Experiential Learning is a form of applied education, so pick faster and sing louder crybabies.
That reminds me of a funny YouTube video I saw of an adult recalling a field trip to a cotton field and how his mother called screaming at the school "How dare you take my black child to a cotton field and LET HIM PICK COTTON"