Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Elite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While I can't place much weight on pff's grades/ratings, Campbell is certainly holding father time at bay quite effectively.

It's impressive that he's continued such a high level of play at his age. His work ethic is a big part of the equation and I hope it provides inspiration to guys like Bryan and Smoot.

If you'd asked me prior to the 2018 season which high-priced D-lineman we'd have to cut for cap purposes before the 2019 season, I'd have listed Campbell as a possibility.
He outperformed that expectation.

Unfortunately Jackson didn't do the same at 3-tech, but at least it makes for an easier decision on cap space cuts.
The idea of cutting a player who is playing at an all pro level is insane. Get rid of scrubs for cap space.
(02-23-2019, 02:57 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]The idea of cutting a player who is playing at an all pro level is insane. Get rid of scrubs for cap space.

Are you talking about Jackson?  Because he did not pay at an all pro level in 2018.
Campbell is awesome. We were fortunate to land him.
(02-23-2019, 03:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2019, 02:57 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]The idea of cutting a player who is playing at an all pro level is insane. Get rid of scrubs for cap space.

Are you talking about Jackson?  Because he did not pay at an all pro level in 2018.

Jackson?  I think he's talking about Campbell
(02-23-2019, 03:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

No no, there was a handful of people who suggested cutting Calais for cap relief. We finally hit on a player from FA that’s paying off and it’s fun to watch. One has to wonder what Calais career stats would have been if he had played in a 4-3 his entire career. It seems to fit him much better.
(02-23-2019, 03:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2019, 03:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Are you talking about Jackson?  Because he did not pay at an all pro level in 2018.

No no, there was a handful of people who suggested cutting Calais for cap relief. We finally hit on a player from FA that’s paying off and it’s fun to watch. One has to wonder what Calais career stats would have been if he had played in a 4-3 his entire career. It seems to fit him much better.

People also want to keep Malik instead of Dareus.  I don't understand sometimes
(02-23-2019, 03:42 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2019, 03:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Are you talking about Jackson?  Because he did not pay at an all pro level in 2018.

By my recollection (and the point of my prior post) the assumptions made about Campbell being cut were largely being made prior to the 2018 season. By the time we were near the end of that season most of those people had shifted their focus to Jackson who had clearly underperformed while Campbell did the opposite. 
I even recall commenting on the thread about impending d-line cuts and saying "this will probably sort itself out on the field." And it did.  

Everyone knew prior to the season that the team could not afford Campbell, Jackson and Dareus in 2019 without severe alteration of their contracts. Campbell was naturally the easy guy to guess as a cut candidate because he's 32 years old and the odds of him continuing to play at such a high level were/are slim.  So I understand why there was that talk going on last Summer and early Fall. 

As you pointed out - anyone continuing that narrative into the Winter or offseason is off their rocker. I just haven't really seen many of those folks. The few saying that clearly didn't watch the games or didn't know what they were seeing.

Regardless, I'm glad Campbell made such a strong statement with his play in 2018 as he's the guy I'd have hated to lose most out of the three.
Had Campbell been playing as a DE his entire career, he'd be HOF worthy.
I remember many people, myself included, giving TMD such a hard time pushing for Campbell like he did.

It'd be nice if Campbell could put together a few more years and get him close to 120 sacks.
(02-26-2019, 03:14 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]I remember many people, myself included, giving TMD such a hard time pushing for Campbell like he did.

It'd be nice if Campbell could put together a few more years and get him close to 120 sacks.
I remember that as well. Everyone had their opinion on what pass rusher to get that offseason: trade for Jared Allen, trade up for Long, trade up for Gholston, trade up for Harvey, stand pat and draft Merling, stand pat and draft Campbell, stand pat and draft Groves. (naturally the Jags trade all their picks to get basically the worst options haha.

While i give TMD credit for pounding the table for Campbell in hindsight. his reasoning was off; he had just wrongly predicted we'd never make the playoffs because we didn't draft Quentin Moses in the 3rd round a year or two prior (this was the offseason before 2007 and the 11-5 season mind you). Then he had another ridiculous take around the same time where he was just dead wrong, iirc it was about a wide receiver. it was hard to take him seriously at the time because he had just missed on so many hot takes. Campbell is just proof that TMD threw [BLEEP] at a wall enough that something will stick. Even TMD didn't predict that campbell would go on to be THIS GOOD.

The worst time to be on this board was the offseason after 2008 when people started to revere him bc after that 5-11 meltdown with all the injuries and age catching up to the roster, he became like "Mrs. Carmody" from the mist, just preaching and demanding sacrifices and bc everything we had ever known had melted down around us, they looked to her. Yea it was kinda like that...
(02-26-2019, 03:14 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]I remember many people, myself included, giving TMD such a hard time pushing for Campbell like he did.

He had to get one right.  Remember several others that he was pushing as well.
(02-27-2019, 08:08 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]

He had to get one right.  Remember several others that he was pushing as well.

Oh, I remember. 

Just mentioning this one because of how much he pushed for it to happen.