Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dareus restructures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is huge. JAGS save 5M towards cap. Reported on Twitter via Field Yates.

(02-27-2019, 08:59 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: [ -> ]This is huge. JAGS save 5M towards cap. Reported on Twitter via Field Yates. Signed thru 2020.
Nice
Nice! And with this move we are back under the cap Big Grin (should be 4M under the cap now, Calais probably next in line for restructuring before the cuts start to happen)
Good, by far our best DT. Next year his cap hit was almost 15 mil. I wonder what it is now? NT isnt a need now with him and Jones locked in
(02-27-2019, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Good, by far our best DT.  Next year his cap hit was almost 15 mil.  I wonder what it is now?  NT isnt a need now with him and Jones locked in
Yeah it will be interesting. 2020 was almost 15 and same for 2021. Now with the new deal 2021 is out and contract is through 2020:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/11...4159168513
That's great news.
Nice, so he gave up 6 million over a year to get 3 million extra up front.

He would have failed the marshmallow test but at those numbers, it doesn't really matter.

Great news for the organization and Dareus himself. He's a great player.
Great news!
Anyone else wish to restructure? Or is it now going to releases?
(02-27-2019, 09:30 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2019, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Good, by far our best DT.  Next year his cap hit was almost 15 mil.  I wonder what it is now?  NT isnt a need now with him and Jones locked in
Yeah it will be interesting. 2020 was almost 15 and same for 2021. Now with the new deal 2021 is out and contract is through 2020:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/11...4159168513

Assuming:
5 million base salary gets converted to a bonus, and it is spread out over 2019 and 2020.
So Jags save 2.5 million in cap for 2019 but add 2.5 to 2020 for a total cap hit of 17.1 million for Dareus in 2020
Excellent news!

Our D-Line from last year is pretty much intact.

We will need Bryan to take a huge step up, and some quality depth behind the DEs, but I like this move.
So do we still expect Malik Jackson to be cut?
(02-27-2019, 01:09 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]So do we still expect Malik Jackson to be cut?

Yes, need that money for Foles.  Bryan will fill in at the starting 3tech
(02-27-2019, 01:09 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]So do we still expect Malik Jackson to be cut?

Yes, but with now we can wait until the new league year starts which means we can trade him for a draft pick (most likely conditional) instead of having to cut him outright. Same with a few other cuts as well.
I really like this move; the Jaguars save salary cap money and retain the services of a key ingredient on defense. I expect Jackson and Gipson to be let go saving more money to spend on extending the contracts of Ramsay and Yannick and signing a free agent quarterback. Hopefully Bryan will improve with a year under his belt so he can slide into Jackson's spot. Wilson was given a new contract so the Jaguars must believe he can replace Gipson, although it would be wise to draft another free safety. Other than that, the draft needs to focus entirely on offense, with the possible exception of a linebacker in the last couple of rounds.
[Image: mkovb.jpg]
“Kudos to Marcell,’’ Caldwell said. “He actually came to us on that and said, ‘Hey, you know what? I want to stay here. I want to be a part of it. I see what we are doing defensively.’

“It was a very unselfish move by Marcell for what he did to say, ‘I want to be able to keep this team together and the guys in that locker room around me together and still build this team.’ He loves playing here; he and Coach Marrone have a special relationship.”

https://www.jaguars.com/news/caldwell-on...lfish-move
If i'm doing the math right and Foles is amenable to a 'decent' deal, would a cut of Jackson/Gipson and signing of Foles be a push in salary?
Looking at the restructure though, Dareus now has a $10 million dollar roster bonus at the start of the 2020 season and a cap hit $22.5 in 2020.

There is no possibly way the Jaguars can hold onto that salary in 2020. So in essence, this looks like a 1 year "stay/extension" on him sticking with Jaguars and he will be cut next year.