Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Marrone / Caldwell Comments at Combine MERGED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
On new offense and playbook: 

Everyone is involved and open minded about creating a new playbook. 
“Are you opening it up?” 
Yeah, we want to make big plays. There’s a lot that goes into that...

Excited for Leonard to go work with his trainer and come back in shape. 

Dareus restructure:

Love the way he plays. Hard worker, productive player. 
He’s a heckuva pass rusher, and I am hoping to keep him focused on stopping the run, but he’s so good I want him to do it all. 

The injuries last year weighed on me. I’m analyzing what is different about the guys who stay healthy. 
Sometimes you can’t control that but we’ll look to make changes to improve that situation. 

About combine: 
I have mixed feelings. 
It’s a lot of pressure for a player.  Have to evaluate how they handle that. 
It’s a one shot deal. Remember - it’s not about the best drills - it’s who the best football player is. 
The best part is having so many players in one place and get the medical info.
These comments are from his chat with Oehser - not his presser.
(02-27-2019, 12:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]About combine: 
I have mixed feelings. 
It’s a lot of pressure for a player.  Have to evaluate how they handle that. 
It’s a one shot deal. Remember - it’s not about the best drills - it’s who the best football player is. 
The best part is having so many players in one place and get the medical info.

cough* Kyler Murray cough*

I would assume Murray's interviews will be very important for obvious reasons.

I am happy they got everything restructured with Daurius. They have some work to do this week. A lot of holes to fill and not a ton of cap to do it with so this draft is extremely important. They have to get this one right.
Dave said winning and completion percentage were some of the traits they’re looking at.....

Boooooy that sounds a lot like Haskins.
(02-27-2019, 01:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Dave said winning and completion percentage were some of the traits they’re looking at.....

It sounds like every highly rated QB prospect who ever entered the draft. I mean, QBs don't become first rounders by low completion percentages and losing a bunch of games.
(02-27-2019, 07:04 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2019, 01:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Dave said winning and completion percentage were some of the traits they’re looking at.....

It sounds like every highly rated QB prospect who ever entered the draft. I mean, QBs don't become first rounders by low completion percentages and losing a bunch of games.

Unless they're Josh Allen
I'm confused. The thread on Murray being drafted by Jville got moved to the college board, but this one covering the draft/combine as well belongs here?

Odd.

Inconsistent.

But Murray is comparable or better in those things as well. 

He won, and threw for career 67%. Murray absolutely brings both of those things.
(02-27-2019, 07:24 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]I'm confused. The thread on Murray being drafted by Jville  got moved to the college board, but this one covering the draft/combine as well belongs here?

Odd.

Inconsistent.

Well, this thread isn't about the draft or combine, it's about Marrone's comments while at the combine. The first statement, in fact, was about the Jaguars' offensive playbook, for example.

So no, not odd or inconsistent. Just you being wrong again.
You can't open up a playbook and make big plays with a rookie QB. I'm thinking Marrone is alluding more to a significant free agent signing.
Questions for Dave should have been...

[Image: giphy.gif]
(02-27-2019, 07:24 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]I'm confused. The thread on Murray being drafted by Jville  got moved to the college board, but this one covering the draft/combine as well belongs here?

Odd.

Inconsistent.

But Murray is comparable or better in those things as well. 

He won, and threw for career 67%. Murray absolutely brings both of those things.

Marrone is, get this, it's important, the Jaguars Head Coach.
(02-27-2019, 11:24 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]Questions for Dave should have been...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Caldwell turns and points to 93, 91, 99, 20, 50, and 44.

Odd.

Inconsistent.
What the hell does it matter?  Why the [BLEEP] do people always want to whine about this [BLEEP]?
I don't know why, but everything in me is leaning Murray over Haskins. And they both are basically what Dave described.
(02-28-2019, 08:06 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]

Odd.

Inconsistent.
What the hell does it matter?  Why the [BLEEP] do people always want to whine about this [BLEEP]?

Because rules are there to be followed.  If they are confusing, people will ask questions for clarity.  Just basic common sense...

As for the statements by Marrone.  I'm up in the air.  I complain about the playcalling, its excuses. i complain about the personnel, its excuses.  Ill just wait and see because everyone here backs whatever the popular opinion is.  Creating a new playbook is like a slap in the face but ppl will make more excuses.
(02-28-2019, 03:28 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2019, 08:06 AM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]What the hell does it matter?  Why the [BLEEP] do people always want to whine about this [BLEEP]?

Because rules are there to be followed.  If they are confusing, people will ask questions for clarity.  Just basic common sense...

As for the statements by Marrone.  I'm up in the air.  I complain about the playcalling, its excuses. i complain about the personnel, its excuses.  Ill just wait and see because everyone here backs whatever the popular opinion is.  Creating a new playbook is like a slap in the face but ppl will make more excuses.

This makes no sense.  But carry on.

TEBOW TIME !!!

Record as starter: 35-6 (three seasons)

Total TDs: 145

QB rating: 169.7

[Image: hi-res-52b9855b50615c35c8047163653405d8_...crop_y=top]
(02-28-2019, 03:55 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2019, 03:28 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]Because rules are there to be followed.  If they are confusing, people will ask questions for clarity.  Just basic common sense...

This makes no sense.  But carry on.
How???
Fans say the team is failing because the playcalling is HS basic.  Other fans say its because of x,y,z not the playcalling.  Fans say the personnel needs to be better and do better,  other fans say its the QB, injuries, bad scouting, or whateva x,y,z.  Coach comes out and says we are changing the playbook and trying to find ways to do more with what we have, those other fans say good job....I say [BLEEP].
(02-28-2019, 04:07 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2019, 03:55 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]This makes no sense.  But carry on.
How???
Fans say the team is failing because the playcalling is HS basic.  Other fans say its because of x,y,z not the playcalling.  Fans say the personnel needs to be better and do better,  other fans say its the QB, injuries, bad scouting, or whateva x,y,z.  Coach comes out and says we are changing the playbook and trying to find ways to do more with what we have, those other fans say good job....I say [BLEEP].

LOLWUT?

News flash:
Fans complain about everything. 

What’s your opinion on why they were not able to win last year?  

(I’m in the “injuries/bad QB play/poor run-game strategy” camp myself)

Re: Marrone’s comments

What he said was pretty much what any HC might say who has just hired a new offensive coordinator and is being grilled about his run vs pass balance. 
Also- 
He didn’t say “just try to do more with what we have” he also said there were obviously new pieces being added to the offense soon and  he’s excited about that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4