Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jared Odrick Conundrum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2016/10...conundrum/

Good article about how we may be better off without Odrick

The combination of Fowler, Ngakoue, and Malik Jackson was simply too much to handle for the Colts offensive line. The coaching staff has been tied down to using the big end position to set the edge on running plays. Now that the defense has such explosive athletes at LEO, it is high time the transition was made to more of a traditional 4-3 front. The Seattle Seahawks made the same switch years back after they signed Cliff Avriland Michael Bennett. The big end position leaves the Jaguars with only two pass rushers capable of providing a decent rush.

Quote:http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2016/10...conundrum/

Good article about how we may be better off without Odrick

The combination of Fowler, Ngakoue, and Malik Jackson was simply too much to handle for the Colts offensive line. The coaching staff has been tied down to using the big end position to set the edge on running plays. Now that the defense has such explosive athletes at LEO, it is high time the transition was made to more of a traditional 4-3 front. The Seattle Seahawks made the same switch years back after they signed Cliff Avriland Michael Bennett. The big end position leaves the Jaguars with only two pass rushers capable of providing a decent rush.

Odrick still has a role and we will be glad to have him when we play the Titans, there is no reason to ever have him on the field on 3rd down now.  
As long as the defense plays on schedule we dont have a problem

1st Down - Stop the run

2nd Down - give up maybe 3-4 yards run or pass

3rd Down - Unleash the dogs
The D-Line was impressive, but let's not jump the gun because they whipped an awful O-Line.

Move him inside to DT not that hard. Next year our starting D-Line should be

Fowler-Jackson-Odrick-Sheard  

With Ngakoue coming in as a situational pass rusher and being rotated heavily. I don't think he's big enough to play DE in a traditional 4-3 for 3 downs so I don't think he starts. I think that's what people are missing in this whole thing, they are overlooking the fact Ngakoue is terrible against the run and is not big enough to play traditional 4-3 end for 3 downs all game. And you can't play him at linebacker because he doesn't have a linebacker's skillset. This is why he was a third round pick, and Fowler was picked 3rd overall. Anyway, I do agree that we should go to a traditional 4-3 front with a smaller DE opposite Fowler, so we need to sign a guy to fill that hole. Sheard is a perfect fit and he is similar to Fowler.

Also what is lost in all this with the comparison to Seattle moving to a smaller end is that Michael Bennett is 6'3'' 274lbs and can play the run like it. Not comparable to the situation with Ngakoue. 

Odrick is good against the run. But let's not forget he had 5.5 sacks last year.
Quote:Move him inside to DT not that hard. Next year our starting D-Line should be

With Ngakoue coming in as a situational pass rusher and being rotated heavily. I don't think he's big enough to play DE in a traditional 4-3 for 3 downs so I don't think he starts. I think that's what people are missing in this whole thing, they are overlooking the fact Ngakoue is terrible against the run and is not big enough to play traditional 4-3 end for 3 downs all game. And you can't play him at linebacker because he doesn't have a linebacker's skillset. This is why he was a third round pick, and Fowler was picked 3rd overall. Anyway, I do agree that we should go to a traditional 4-3 front with a smaller DE opposite Fowler, so we need to sign a guy to fill that hole. Sheard is a perfect fit and he is similar to Fowler.
I hope to God you are not talking about Sheard from the Pats or all credibility is being lost.

Edit: nvm was thinking of Mingo
Quote:I hope to God you are not talking about Sheard from the Pats or all credibility is being lost.
What's wrong with Sheard he's a really good player? He's pretty much what the dream for Fowler is to me. Almost the exact same size and subpar athletic package, but Sheard has completely maximized what his potential is. 
Quote:What's wrong with Sheard he's a really good player? He's pretty much what the dream for Fowler is to me. Almost the exact same size and subpar athletic package, but Sheard has completely maximized what his potential is.

He's a system guy. Didn't make in Cleveland and paired with that magical Patriots scheme he becomes decent. I'm weary of that Pat system. I feel like you take players off that team and put them elsewhere and they drop off.
I like his passion.  And isn't he really good at stopping the run?

Quote:He's a system guy. Didn't make in Cleveland and paired with that magical Patriots scheme he becomes decent. I'm weary of that Pat system. I feel like you take players off that team and put them elsewhere and they drop off.
But he was good in Cleveland...
Quote:He's a system guy. Didn't make in Cleveland and paired with that magical Patriots scheme he becomes decent. I'm weary of that Pat system. I feel like you take players off that team and put them elsewhere and they drop off.

Sheard had 8.5, 7.0, 5.5, and 2.0 sacks in his four seasons in Cleveland.
Quote:Sheard had 8.5, 7.0, 5.5, and 2.0 sacks in his four seasons in Cleveland.
And the 5.5 came after a position switch and in only 13 games...and then the new regime doghoused him for no real reason in 2014. 
Quote:And the 5.5 came after a position switch and in only 13 games...and then the new regime doghoused him for no real reason in 2014. 

Yeah, I remember most considered his deal in New England a steal as well. Sheard hardly came out of nowhere in 2015.
Ok I was thinking of that new dude on the Pats. B. Mingo.

Still weary of Pats players, man. Why did the Browns cut Sheard?
Quote:Ok I was thinking of that new dude on the Pats. B. Mingo.

Pettine just didn't know how to use him when he took over. Switched him to LB and when it didn't work out like they hoped they put him in the doghouse. 
Quote:Ok I was thinking of that new dude on the Pats. B. Mingo.

They're Cleveland.

Seriously though, he wasn't cut, but rather left as a free agent. As KYJaggy said, they switched his position from DE to OLB and they had signed Kruger to a big deal the year prior/just drafted Mingo, so he was relegated to the bench. For whatever reason, he was an underrated free agent on the open market and New England was able to get him for about $5 million per season.

Quote:Move him inside to DT not that hard. Next year our starting D-Line should be

I have to disagree here. Yannick, right now, is looking like a starter for years to come. And while he's not a world beater against the run, I believe it was more gap integrity than getting pushed off his spot. He's looked progressively better since the San Diego game.
Odrick in front of Jack makes Jack's job easier... allowing him to play more free.
Pages: 1 2 3