Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: About Nick Foles from a longtime fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have watched almost every game Nick Foles has played since he transferred to Arizona. I am a Chicago Bears fan and a fan of whatever team Nick Foles plays for.

I can promise you the Jaguars are getting a very good QB and an exceptional person. I became a Foles fan when I saw him at an Arizona women's soccer game in August in 105 degree heat watching a bad  team alongside about 50 of us. Foles didn't need to be there, but he supported every team at Arizona; that's just who he is.

Nick started as the third string QB on the Wildcats and only got into a game because the other two QBs were hurt, but everyone could see his superior ability from the first pass he threw. Those Arizona teams were horrible, but even then, Foles had an uncanny knack for sensing and avoiding pressure just long enough to get the pass off. He's not afraid to take a hit, especially if it means he'll make a big play.

The mark of a franchise QB is his ability to make the players around him better. At Arizona, Foles took a guy with average talent, Jaron Criner, and turned him into a first team Pac 12 player who was drafted by the Raiders. Foles resurrected Riley Cooper's career, and then Cooper immediately fell off the face of the planet once Nick left the Eagles. Most recently, Foles helped Alshon Jeffery become a legit #1 receiver who faded when Wentz returned and then became a star again when Foles took over this season.

Most importantly, Nick Foles is a winner. After his incredible 2013 record setting season, Foles came back in 2014 and led the Eagles to a  6-2 record before he broke his collarbone. The Eagles went 4-4 the rest the year and missed the playoffs. BTW, that's one of the years the critics point to when they claim he's inconsistent. How many HCs and GMs would be thrilled with a QB who started the season 6-2?

Besides the one year under mornic Jeff FIsher, who couldn't have designed an offense that accentuated Foles weaknesses (bad o-line line with painfully slow developing routes) if he tried, Foles career has been very consistent as in consistently good.

What has changed over time, is that Foles is now a cagey veteran. He knows exactly how he wants to play, and if anything, he sees the field much better than he did as a 3rd year player. His quick release will cover a lot of problems on the o-line, and no one in the league reads and anticipates the RPO better than Foles. 

To be successful, he needs a receiver that he clicks with. I have never been able to identify what qualities in a receiver he likes. He has had success with Desean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Riley Cooper and Jeremy Macklin but never clicked with Kenny Britt.

QBs usually hit their prime around 30, and that's what you're getting in Foles. A seasoned player who is still young enough to make all the throws, gets the ball out quickly, makes very good presnap reads, isn't afraid to throw deep, sees the field well and will be a great presence in the locker room. Most importantly, he's at his best in the biggest moments. It's always been that way with Foles, at least as long as I've been watching him.

Don't make any plans in January because the Jaguars are going back to the playoffs.
I hope so!
[Image: APhLLIJ.gif]
We get one of these all the time. Fans come in here, vouch for the player or coach, and reassures us. Same thing when it comes to new coaches, even college football coaches. On behalf of the Jags fans, we appreciate the pity... errr... gesture

But we understand that its a crap shoot
I still remember Kassim Osgood's sensei coming on here.  Tongue
^Now thats a name
LOL...I remember Osgood's sensei!

If you want to know more about Foles, interesting reads can be found when there was lots of press in Philly's Foles vs. Wentz discussion. Here's one from Bucky Brooks:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...n-decision
(03-13-2019, 12:03 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]We get one of these all the time. Fans come in here, vouch for the player or coach, and reassures us. Same thing when it comes to new coaches, even college football coaches. On behalf of the Jags fans, we appreciate the pity... errr... gesture

But they don't always vouch for the player.  Remember the Bills fan who came and dumped all over Marcel Dareus?
(03-12-2019, 11:19 PM)billwade Wrote: [ -> ]I have watched almost every game Nick Foles has played since he transferred to Arizona. I am a Chicago Bears fan and a fan of whatever team Nick Foles plays for.

I stopped after this....
Remember when Matt Jones was drafted and we had the massive influx of Razorback fans claiming he was the greatest thing since sliced bread?
(03-13-2019, 08:04 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: [ -> ]Remember when Matt Jones was drafted and we had the massive influx of Razorback fans claiming he was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

LOL, no doubt. It's a little different situation but it's interesting.
It's cool that the guy took the time to set up an account and write the post, I enjoyed reading it.

The Razorback invasion was pretty good- Smackover Jag, Arkansan (still a friend of mine, BTW, lives in France south of Omaha Beach now for those of you who remember him, good guy) were among the invaders.

Off topic a little bit- there was one funny night before a game with Arizona out there that someone here got into it with some Cardinal fans on their message board and mentioned it here. A bunch of us then registered for accounts on their board and started hassling them about everything. One guy said they were being "attacked"; another complained that "don't they understand that the board is supposed to be for us to talk good about the Cardinals?" or something like that. Funny night. Jacksonville hooligans.
(03-13-2019, 12:03 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]We get one of these all the time. Fans come in here, vouch for the player or coach, and reassures us. Same thing when it comes to new coaches, even college football coaches. On behalf of the Jags fans, we appreciate the pity... errr... gesture

I think some credit may be given to this fan as he has followed Foles all through college and the NFL.  That is a much larger sample than just looking at an NFL career that was up and down for some reasons of poor coaching and lack of players around him.  I am not head over heels about Foles but at least there are reasons to believe he just may become a franchise quarterback we so desperately need to reach the next level.
So count me in as a Foles supporter until I see poor play on field in 2019.
I only know about Foles last 2 years and the chip kelly hurry up offense year. I remember the uproar about his college offense catching the NFL off guard and working that year then it died. Kind of like a one year rookie QB wonder. I also remember 17 when wentz went down and Ertz and Nelson were his primary targets on his quick throws and prayers. This last year though i didnt really pay close attention to him but he wasnt as effective as he was in 17. I guess i just dont believe he did anything special. I mean i guess being a Jags fan and watching a TE get open and move the chains is a dream. Just as watching receivers win the majority of jump balls and try and get open when the play breaks down. IDK
Don't worry, I don't post and run, so if I'm wrong, the doubters will get the chance to launch the heavy artillery.

I strongly believe this is going to turn out much better than many of you suspect if you go into it understanding Nick Foles. When you're watching the game, remember he has a very high football IQ that translates directly into his risk/reward calculations. So, if he's in a shootout like the Patriots/ Eagles SB, he'll be making a lot of high risk decisions that will result in some incredible plays. On the other hand, if the defense is keeping the game close and his team has the upper hand, he'll dial it back to ensure he doesn't take his team out of the game. This often leads to frustration as he morphs from a gun slinger in one game into a game manager the next. That's what the 6-2 2014 season was all about. The Philly defense was very good that year, and Foles played very cautiously to avoid high risk throws that might have cost them the game.

I'll admit there are times I get frustrated with his approach, but after watching him for the past 10 years, I've come to accept that's just who he is. You're getting a guy who will make the o-line look better than were played before (just look at Philly's 2018 sack totals Wentz 1 sack/12 dropbacks vs Foles 1 sack per 21 dropbacks) who will keep your team in most games even when he's not playing particularly well.

My main concern is the same as yours. Your WRs and TE are very questionable. If you don't give Foles some weapons, he's not Tom Brady. He'll turn an average receiver into a good one, or a good one into a great one, but he's not Tom Brady.
Appreciate your posts and perspectives. It will definitely be nice to have some stability and at least some reliability at QB to run a real NFL offense for the first time in 9 years. Please excuse some of our posters. The extended period of being horrible having the team repeatedly disappoint them has made many of them cynical and skeptical.
(03-13-2019, 12:50 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I still remember Kassim Osgood's sensei coming on here.  Tongue

HAHAHA! I remember that. That guy (sensei) was a trip!!
Well, Guys.....Foles certainly brings more to the position of QB than we've had in what....the last 10 years?
(03-13-2019, 03:17 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Guys.....Foles certainly brings more to the position of QB than we've had in what....the last 10 years?

At least the last 10 years.
(03-13-2019, 05:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

But they don't always vouch for the player.  Remember the Bills fan who came and dumped all over Marcel Dareus?

That guy was upset that they lost Dareus.

NH3...

(03-12-2019, 11:19 PM)billwade Wrote: [ -> ]I have watched almost every game Nick Foles has played since he transferred to Arizona. I am a Chicago Bears fan and a fan of whatever team Nick Foles plays for.

I can promise you the Jaguars are getting a very good QB and an exceptional person. I became a Foles fan when I saw him at an Arizona women's soccer game in August in 105 degree heat watching a bad  team alongside about 50 of us. Foles didn't need to be there, but he supported every team at Arizona; that's just who he is.

Nick started as the third string QB on the Wildcats and only got into a game because the other two QBs were hurt, but everyone could see his superior ability from the first pass he threw. Those Arizona teams were horrible, but even then, Foles had an uncanny knack for sensing and avoiding pressure just long enough to get the pass off. He's not afraid to take a hit, especially if it means he'll make a big play.

The mark of a franchise QB is his ability to make the players around him better. At Arizona, Foles took a guy with average talent, Jaron Criner, and turned him into a first team Pac 12 player who was drafted by the Raiders. Foles resurrected Riley Cooper's career, and then Cooper immediately fell off the face of the planet once Nick left the Eagles. Most recently, Foles helped Alshon Jeffery become a legit #1 receiver who faded when Wentz returned and then became a star again when Foles took over this season.

Most importantly, Nick Foles is a winner. After his incredible 2013 record setting season, Foles came back in 2014 and led the Eagles to a  6-2 record before he broke his collarbone. The Eagles went 4-4 the rest the year and missed the playoffs. BTW, that's one of the years the critics point to when they claim he's inconsistent. How many HCs and GMs would be thrilled with a QB who started the season 6-2?

Besides the one year under mornic Jeff FIsher, who couldn't have designed an offense that accentuated Foles weaknesses (bad o-line line with painfully slow developing routes) if he tried, Foles career has been very consistent as in consistently good.

What has changed over time, is that Foles is now a cagey veteran. He knows exactly how he wants to play, and if anything, he sees the field much better than he did as a 3rd year player. His quick release will cover a lot of problems on the o-line, and no one in the league reads and anticipates the RPO better than Foles. 

To be successful, he needs a receiver that he clicks with. I have never been able to identify what qualities in a receiver he likes. He has had success with Desean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Riley Cooper and Jeremy Macklin but never clicked with Kenny Britt.

QBs usually hit their prime around 30, and that's what you're getting in Foles. A seasoned player who is still young enough to make all the throws, gets the ball out quickly, makes very good presnap reads, isn't afraid to throw deep, sees the field well and will be a great presence in the locker room. Most importantly, he's at his best in the biggest moments. It's always been that way with Foles, at least as long as I've been watching him.

Don't make any plans in January because the Jaguars are going back to the playoffs.

Nice read. 

NH3...
(03-13-2019, 03:17 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Guys.....Foles certainly brings more to the position of QB than we've had in what....the last 10 years?

This is where I'm at. When we 1st signed Lambo, him making extra points was such an awesome relief because we had just come from holding our breath for those. I think at minimum Foles will make a lot of basic throws that Blake would often miss. I think a tighter spiral alone will make our receivers better. I think a quicker release plus the ability to read defenses both pre and post snap will help our oline and offense overall.
Pages: 1 2