Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: PFF: Foles vs Bortles!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some very interesting points in here.  I am glad the Jags signed Foles and believe it was a fair deal but love to hear all sides.

Would like to hear their numbers when the game is within two scores. Bortles has a lot of garbage time stats.
The problem with the analysis is that it's factoring 2015 where Blake's numbers were inflated because he played from behind a ton but wherever. I'm happy we have a more consistent QB. Less lows and variances.
No. Forget those stats. Foles has won a ring, Blake never will. You have a better shot with Foles.
To be fair Myles Jack isn't whistled down incorrectly and It is Bortles v Foles in that Superbowl
(03-31-2019, 03:43 AM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair Myles Jack isn't whistled down incorrectly and It is Bortles v Foles in that Superbowl

That, or if the coaches hadn't gone into turtle mode in the 4th quarter.
(03-31-2019, 09:16 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2019, 03:43 AM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair Myles Jack isn't whistled down incorrectly and It is Bortles v Foles in that Superbowl

That, or if the coaches hadn't gone into turtle mode in the 4th quarter.

Or if we hadn't allowed the Pats to get a first down on 3rd and 18.

But back to the original subject- I've seen Foles, and I've seen Bortles, and there isn't any comparison.
they hit the nail on the head, Foles has a higher ceiling and floor to Blake, but still a high variance low end starter at the end of the day who needs lots of structural support.

They're hoping the intangible side of things evens that out some
(03-30-2019, 06:18 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]Would like to hear their numbers when the game is within two scores. Bortles has a lot of garbage time stats.

He's nothing special. At the end of close games he's below his normal average.

I know a lot of people around here don't want to hear it, but the jaguars just signed 2013 Joe Flacco. The good news is they didn't screw themselves as bad as the Ravens did with their deal, but I'd say it's pretty good odds Caldwell and Coughlin get fired for this move at some point.

So what?  We could have gone to the Superbowl and won, that wouldn't change his skill set.  

Blake was a great competitor and has the size and athleticism, but he just can't read a defense or throw a football very well.
Blake's floor is ridiculously low and when combined with his inconsistency, make a recipe for disaster. I'll miss the man but not the QB.
(03-31-2019, 12:14 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]

So what?  We could have gone to the Superbowl and won, that wouldn't change his skill set.  

Blake was a great competitor and has the size and athleticism, but he just can't read a defense or throw a football very well.

Point is we could have won a Superbowl with bortles. Maybe follow what I was replying to.
(03-31-2019, 10:06 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2019, 12:14 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]So what?  We could have gone to the Superbowl and won, that wouldn't change his skill set.  

Point is we could have won a Superbowl with bortles. Maybe follow what I was replying to.

Again, a Superbowl appearance (and possibly even a win) doesn't change his limitations.

Sorry, you'd be easier to follow if your point was relevant to anything.
Bortles had the wind up speed of a medieval siege weapon coupled with slow decision making and poor accuracy.

Foles is by far better in all of those categories.

I also agree with those above who pointed out a lot of BBs stats are inflated in 2015 by garbage time stats when facing conservative prevent defenses that already had the game in hand.
(03-31-2019, 10:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2019, 10:06 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]Point is we could have won a Superbowl with bortles. Maybe follow what I was replying to.

Again, a Superbowl appearance (and possibly even a win) doesn't change his limitations.

Sorry, you'd be easier to follow if your point was relevant to anything.

I was responding to the fact it was said Bortles could never win a Superbowl.

It seems you agree with me.
(03-30-2019, 06:18 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]Would like to hear their numbers when the game is within two scores. Bortles has a lot of garbage time stats.

Actually he mostly doesn't. Last year aside (because I haven't looked at those numbers and because a season where you've lost just about everyone at OL and WR doesn't make for a fair comparison) Bortles actually had very few garbage time stats, because the team had very little actual garbage time. When they lost a lot of games, they lost a lot of close games. Feel free to be negative about Bortles, but the argument that his stats came in garbage time never made a lick of sense.
Give it a rest. The Nick Foles era in Jax has arrived.
I like analytics, but sometimes the depth of these numbers are just stupid. We all know Bortles just wasn't that good here. He played well at times, but was way too inconsistent. We've seen Foles make big plays over and over. I don't know if Foles is the missing key, but I do know Bortles wasn't. Sometimes it just comes down to whether you can play or not.....
First off BB5 is better than most of us give him credit for. If it wasn't for the fact of the land slide of injuries last season we possible would be having different conversations. As for whomever is the better QB, we could debate all week long on this subject. The fact of the matter is that NF7 is our signal caller now. He's more accurate to which will make our receiving Corp better no matter who they are. His decision makings is also on point.

Now the system that we've just implemented, I.E. offensive coordinator will put NF7 light years ahead of BB5. Their history together should make for an successful reunion to which should, on paper at least, produce better results than the past four year performances at the position.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

(04-01-2019, 09:38 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]First off BB5 is better than most of us give him credit for. If it wasn't for the fact of the land slide of injuries last season we possible would be having different conversations. As for whomever is the better QB,  we could debate all week long on this subject. The fact of the matter is that NF7 is our signal caller now. He's more accurate to which will make our receiving Corp better no matter who they are. His decision makings is also on point.

Now the system that we've just implemented, I.E. offensive coordinator, will put NF7 light years ahead of BB5. Their history together should make for an successful reunion to which should, on paper at least, produce better results than the past four year performances at the position.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
(04-01-2019, 07:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Give it a rest.  The Nick Foles era in Jax has arrived.

And it'll be one short lived era if there isn't a deep playoff run in these next 2 seasons.
Pages: 1 2