Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This team has some work to do before the season starts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I understand no team in the NFL is totally complete but this team has some serious work to do before starting the season.  Lets examine some holes on the team.

Offensive Tackle:  Cam was average before the injury.  The other tackle position is a huge question mark.

Running Back:  We cannot count on Fournette to stay healthy.  Again very thin.

Wide Receivers:  Average group that could be good if Lee comes back healthy.

Tight End:  WHO? A bunch of backups.

Defensive Line:  Better than most of the league here.

Linebacker:  Another strong group that needs a veteran Mike LB.  I think Jack should stick to the outside.

CB:  This group is one of the best in the league.  Elite

Safety: Question marks on both positions

Backup QB: Foles has never played a 16 game season.  Who is behind him?
Yup, contrary to what some Jaguars folks think our roster is another offseason away from being truly competitive.

The likelihood is 7/8 wins is our ceiling even with the QB upgrade
(04-06-2019, 08:58 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]I understand no team in the NFL is totally complete but this team has some serious work to do before starting the season.  Lets examine some holes on the team.

Offensive Tackle:  Cam was average before the injury.  The other tackle position is a huge question mark.

Linebacker:  Another strong group that needs a veteran Mike LB.  I think Jack should stick to the outside.

OT- Agreed 100%, but I am even more concerned about OG. Norwell looked bad before his injury and Cann, flat out sucks. 

RB- Again, agree 100%. We need more depth and we need a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield. 

WR- At this point, I am o.k. with the receivers. I'd add another one in the later rounds, but it's not that big of a concern.

TE- Maybe our weakest group. We need a real safety net for Foles, who can also block. Hockenson would be perfect. 

D-Line- No changes. I am happy with what we have for now. 

Linebacker- It would be nice to add a bigger, MLB and move Jack outside, but not one of my top concerns.

Secondary- We are solid at CB, but have a real need at the FS position. It should be addressed on day 2 of the draft. 

Backup QB- I'm o.k. with the depth. We added Alex McGough and he seems like an upgrade from Kessler. Hopefully Foles stays healthy and we never have to find out.
To the Wells Fargo stat!
Yup, get hyped up, yet another disappointing season like 2018. 5-11 record coming up.
Yeah my expectations are we’ll be very lucky to sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard at 9-7. We’ll probably be in that 7-9 to 9-7 range this year. Coach, front office or both are probably gone with a 5 win season or less if it happens though.
(04-06-2019, 09:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]To the Wells Fargo stat!

Be sure to buy a hot dog on the corner before you aim for the cart coming down. It's just rude otherwise.
(04-07-2019, 09:20 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]

Be sure to buy a hot dog on the corner before you aim for the cart coming down. It's just rude otherwise.

That's actually kind of interesting. I never thought of picking a target, I was just going to jump.

We're probably not much different from most teams at this point in the off-season. Everyone has holes to fill. After I jump, there will be another one on Bay St.
As long as a team isn’t complete barren of talent, a franchise QB for the most part makes up for everything. QB driven league. If Foles is a franchise guy, we will make the playoffs. Team has plenty enough. If he is just a guy, it’ll show, and likely a losing season.
I think Foles + a good rookie TE + competition at RT + better luck with injuries is really all that is absolutely necessary for the team to be competitive for a division title.

Those are the necessities IMO.

Getting another RB with good speed and hands in the draft would be great too, and should be very do-able.

Safety isn’t a dire need, but I’d like to see one drafted if value presents itself.

MLB isn’t going to be addressed. They will give Jack another crack at it and they have Ryan now if that isn’t working on base downs. Just forget that one till next year.

They should add depth at WR in the draft and I’d not be surprised to see Caldwell find the next Hurns or Cole type contributor in the late rounds or UDFA.

I think the real “work to do” is installing the new offense and making sure it can effectively take full advantage of Westbrook, Fournette/ a committee of backs, and any other potential playmaker who may emerge.
Gotta agree with OP. After last season's hype and then subsequent debacle, there's no reason to act like we have "arrived". I would love for Foles to be our answer at quarterback, hoping that plays out. I think it was the right move to get him... what other options did we have to try and win now? But it was the front office's fault for not addressing the need for at least a competent plan B at quarterback last year.

Honestly, i don't really trust any of the front office right now. They have not built this roster through the draft like the should have by now. Every position group is in question right now, except for maybe CB and DL.
If I were the Gm, I would draft Hockenson in the first for 2 reasons.

1. He helps out the oline in the run in the pass. He is a great blocker. If the Jags go with Richardson at RT it would be good to have a tight end able to help him out.

2. Give Foles a real threat in the middle of the field. Hockenson is a really smart route runner and knows how to find the holes in the zone.

I am no the GM. It most likely will be an OT, or Dlineman.
A team that’s picking in the top 10 has work to do?

Ya don’t say?
(04-06-2019, 08:58 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]I understand no team in the NFL is totally complete but this team has some serious work to do before starting the season.  Lets examine some holes on the team.

I’m going to revisit this after the draft.
(04-07-2019, 01:12 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta agree with OP. After last season's hype and then subsequent debacle, there's no reason to act like we have "arrived". I would love for Foles to be our answer at quarterback, hoping that plays out. I think it was the right move to get him... what other options did we have to try and win now? But it was the front office's fault for not addressing the need for at least a competent plan B at quarterback last year.

Honestly, i don't really trust any of the front office right now. They have not built this roster through the draft like the should have by now. Every position group is in question right now, except for maybe CB and DL.

HUH?????????

QB- Lee
RB- LF
WR- Lee, Cole, Dede, Chark
OL- Cam, Linder, Cann, Richardson, Shatley, Wells
TE- Koyack

DL- Jones, Yannick, Bryan, Smoot,
LB- Smith, Jack, Brown, Jacobs
CB- Ramsey, Herdon, Meeks, Reavis
S- Harrison, Wilson

P- Cooke

This obviously does not include the ones that just left or got released/traded, plus this years class.
(04-07-2019, 01:24 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]If I were the Gm,  I would draft Hockenson in the first for 2 reasons.

1. He helps out the oline in the run in the pass.  He is a great blocker.  If the Jags go with Richardson at RT it would be good to have a tight end able to help him out.

2.   Give Foles a real threat in the middle of the field.  Hockenson is a really smart route runner and knows how to find the holes in the zone.

I am no the GM
.  It most likely will be an OT, or Dlineman.

No way! Caldwell I could've SWORN that was you!
(04-07-2019, 09:20 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]

This goes without saying.  You eat 2 if you are waiting on an internet message board troll to show after he bet you or anyone else wouldn’t show because if the fear he instilled to the masses.
After last year, we can sneak up on teams again. Which was a major advantage in 2017
(04-06-2019, 09:27 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, contrary to what some Jaguars folks think our roster is another offseason away from being truly competitive.

I think that's a little extreme.
(04-07-2019, 11:55 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-06-2019, 09:27 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Yup, contrary to what some Jaguars folks think our roster is another offseason away from being truly competitive.

I think that's a little extreme.

I guess it depends on what we deem truly competitive as being, I'd consider it being up front and top of the division and with a shot to make the Super Bowl. Right now I'd say we aren't a top 2 team in our own division and possibly not even top 3
Pages: 1 2