Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Grade the Jags 2019 FA acquisitions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Jags cleared cap space to drop some big cash on a QB and not too much beyond that.

There's a potential #2 TE, a depth receiver with possibly some untapped potential, a possible third down back (Cunningham), and a linebacker that could upgrade the SAM position and back up (or give them options) at the MIKE. 

Here are the numbers they'll wear for those interested. 

https://twitter.com/TDickman89/status/11...3326052357

(flight17 is Conley   -  Nuffced70 is Ogbuehi )
I love the Chris Conley signing. I'll bet he cracks the starting line up--particularly if Cole can't get back on track.
Average at best. I didn't expect any big name signings. Foles still has to get in here and work with the team and new draftees here shortly. Just not getting my hopes up at all this year.

McGough I think won't make the final roster. Blue and Rawls could be camp bodies depending on the draft and Grant's recovery. Conley could be another Moncrief type pick-up like last year. I don't expect too much out of him neither.

C.
Do you count the decisions to bring back Wilson, Cann, Wells, Shatley?

I thought a B sounds about right. I am not sure how they could have gotten much better through free agency alone. I would have preferred to draft a QB early and spend the FA dollars supporting a rookie. I do think what they have done has a chance to work well, let’s see how it goes.
I graded it a B-. I liked the addition of McGough, Conley, Rawls, Ryan and Wester. I was not a fan of Swaim or Blue and I HATED the Ogbuehi signing with a passion. I realized that Foles' signing was inevitable, but I still believe 100% Haskins will be a better NFL QB. All in all, I think a B- is fair.
Like: Conley, Ryan and Swaim - Talented players coming into their second contracts who have flashed ability but for various reasons haven't had the chance to do it consistently. All three represent good upside on reasonable contracts, the exact kinds of signings a team with cap problems should be making. Absolutely no guarantee any of them will ever become top level players, but at the same time absolutely worth taking a chance on them.

Meh: All the depth signings. Bodies were needed to fill out the roster. Bodies were brought in. Meh.

The Great Decider: Obviously it's all gonna be down to Foles. The most important FA signing we've ever made. Personally I would have gone a different route (first round rookie), but Foles is here and we need to put him in a position to succeed. Fingers crossed.

C for me too.
(04-10-2019, 01:27 PM)rufftime Wrote: [ -> ]Do you count the decisions to bring back Wilson, Cann, Wells, Shatley?  

I thought a B sounds about right.  I am not sure how they could have gotten much better through free agency alone.  I would have preferred to draft a QB early and spend the FA dollars supporting a rookie.  I do think what they have done has a chance to work well, let’s see how it goes.

Yeah. Got to figure that in.

I'm not all that thrilled about Cann - but the Shatley/Wells re-signs are smart for depth.  
I was hoping they'd look to upgrade RG. 

Wilson's deal was a good move but they inked his deal prior to free agency.
(04-10-2019, 01:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-10-2019, 01:27 PM)rufftime Wrote: [ -> ]Do you count the decisions to bring back Wilson, Cann, Wells, Shatley?  

I thought a B sounds about right.  I am not sure how they could have gotten much better through free agency alone.  I would have preferred to draft a QB early and spend the FA dollars supporting a rookie.  I do think what they have done has a chance to work well, let’s see how it goes.

Yeah. Got to figure that in.

I'm not all that thrilled about Cann - but the Shatley/Wells re-signs are smart for depth.  
I was hoping they'd look to upgrade RG. 

Wilson's deal was a good move but they inked his deal prior to free agency.

If we are figuring in the Cann re-signing, I'm knocking them down a grade. C-.
Are we counting the guys that were released? If they had handled free agency this way last year, we wouldn't have had to dump Gipson's salary. I give them a D for being a year too late.
External Free Agents:
Foles- upgrade to Bortles at most important QB position. (A)
McGough- practice squad QB last year will compete with Lee for non-active 3rd string role at best. (D)
Conley- WR3/4 for KC will compete for starting time. Excellent measures with upside. (B)
Blue, Cunningham, Rawls- proven fair not good RB backups. (D)
Ryan- Former 4th round Packer LB coming off knee injury. Solid depth. ©
Wester- Buc's Wells last year started 1 game in 3 seasons. Depth competition. ©
Ogbuehi- Bengal's first round complete bust at both OT spots. (F)
Swaim- 18 games starter for Dallas over 4 seasons. Decent rounded TE2. (B)
Going to have to revisit this one midseasonish for me. If Foles is magical A+. If he flops then it’s a fat F.
I gave it an A-. Foles may not be much above average when all is said and done, but he's a big upgrade and was the best available quarterback including in the draft to help them win "now." I really like the signings of Conley and Ryan. Both should contribute significantly and neither broke the bank. Swaim should be the 2nd tight end and will play alot.

The offensive line signings could also turn out to be a plus. Between Wester and Ogbuehi, I only expect one to win a roster spot. It's likely to be Wester based on past performance, but maybe a change in scenery will be good for Ogbuehi. Re-signing Shatley, Cann and Wells will help with depth, but I still hope they draft 1 or 2 offensive linemen. Lindstrom would have been a big upgrade over Cann, but I would now be surprised if they go in that direction after re-signing Cann. That would be a mistake.

Finally, the running back signings do nothing for me. I hope they draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round where great value can be found.
Hovering around a B just for the Foles signing.  The rest are meh
C
B+
The grade is obviously dependent on how Foles works out. I think given what they set out to do and what they accomplished given the limitations of the cap, they did well, B+ or A-. I think the 3 that are the most likely to make major contributions are Foles (of course), and Conley and Ryan if not as starters definitely as important role players who will see the field quite a bit.
Hard to grade a free agent class before we've seen a single game.

Right now I give it a B. On paper, that's what it is. Which is fine, because an A+ on paper can easily become an F.
Perhaps a bit harsh but I gave it a C only because of the Foles pickup and massaging the cap to sign some competition and possible depth. Otherwise, nothing really exciting about the guys we signed. We have meh at RT and meh at RG. How Foles operates with our roster remains a big question mark as well. On a side note, this will be one of the few years I will be really watching our draft direction.