Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars sign former AAF Salt Lake Stallions safety Cody Brown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was one of the highest graded DBs in the league according to PFF + was one the Thorpe watch list in college.

Backup strong safety and/or ST guy
Solid depth guy. Cheap and nothing but upside. What's not to like?
Chhhhhhhaaammmmppppiioooonnsshhhiippppppp
if this CB is so good how come he wasn't drafted to the nfl by a team. I just did a google search on him as well to,and found nothing besides one who played college bal at ucon. the Cody we signed played college in Arankas state. I'm just asking why he isn't in the nfl,before jags signed him.
I dig it. He was solid in the AAF. Now maybe he can grab a backup roster spot or practice squad spot to get to that next level. Livin the dream!
(04-10-2019, 05:51 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: [ -> ]if this CB is so good how come he wasn't drafted to the nfl by a team. I just did a google search on him as well to,and found nothing besides one who played college bal at ucon. the Cody we signed played college in Arankas state.  I'm just asking why he isn't in the nfl,before jags signed him.

Sometimes the NFL gets it wrong.   Tom Brady (the goat) wasn't drafted until the 6th round.  James Harrison the beast in Pittsburgh was undrafted.  This guy may end up being a bum but you never know
I'll never understand why people think just because someone was drafted later that somehow the league got it "wrong."

It's like gambling and risk.

There was enough risk for Brady to fall to the 6th round. NE got it right. That's where risk met the value willing to pay for him.

The point of the draft is to draft a player as low as you can, not as high as you can. Until that concept is grasped, you don't fully understand the draft at all.
Keenan McCardell was a 12th round pick, yes...12th. He wasn't drafted in today's world of 7 rounds, but he turned out OK. Kurt Warner, a 4 time pro bowler, went undrafted and then signed/cut by the Packers. His first pro games were 3 seasons in the Arena Football League and then NFL Europe. The St Louis Rams signed him as he was bagging groceries. He turned out OK.

Moral of the stories are players don't always come from the imperfect draft. Cody is highly likely to be a backup safety, but give him a chance before throwing dirt on him when you likely have never seen him play.
(04-10-2019, 09:53 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Keenan McCardell was a 12th round pick, yes...12th.  He wasn't drafted in today's world of 7 rounds, but he turned out OK.  Kurt Warner, a 4 time pro bowler, went undrafted and then signed/cut by the Packers.  His first pro games were 3 seasons in the Arena Football League and then NFL Europe.  The St Louis Rams signed him as he was bagging groceries.  He turned out OK.  

Moral of the stories are players don't always come from the imperfect draft.  Cody is highly likely to be a backup safety, but give him a chance before throwing dirt on him when you likely have never seen him play.

John Randle, HOF  Defensive Tackle UNDRAFTED.  6x All Pro Jason Peters UNDRAFTED. 5x All Pro TE Antonio Gates UNDRAFTED (granted, he was a college basketball player). HOF QB Warren Moon UNDRAFTED. 2x league MVP Kurt Warner UNDRAFTED.  Sometimes the league gets it wrong.  Sometimes they just don't find the players.  Sometimes they mature later.  Sometimes they fit in the wrong scheme.  When it all finally comes together though? Wow.
Well, let's hope Cody can live up to these lofty expectations Smile
There's not a lot of info on Cody Brown to get much of a true read on him. It looks like he played SS in college and the AAF, but the Jaguars have him listed at CB... not even DB. So, are they looking for him to be a CB?

As for him playing "solid in the AAF," do we really know this? I'm encouraged that the Jaguars called him up as soon as the league allowed teams to sign players, and that PFF gave him a high grade, but I also know from watching the games that the Stallions easily had the worst overall secondary in the AAF. They'd allow one huge pass after another with some rather bone-headed coverage succeeding because of a dominant DL which included former Jaguar DT Sealver Siliga taking names right and left.

I'm also irked by his Oilers tat, but at least it's not a tacks tat.
(04-13-2019, 11:41 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]There's not a lot of info on Cody Brown to get much of a true read on him. It looks like he played SS in college and the AAF, but the Jaguars have him listed at CB... not even DB. So, are they looking for him to be a CB?

As for him playing "solid in the AAF," do we really know this? I'm encouraged that the Jaguars called him up as soon as the league allowed teams to sign players, and that PFF gave him a high grade, but I also know from watching the games that the Stallions easily had the worst overall secondary in the AAF. They'd allow one huge pass after another with some rather bone-headed coverage succeeding because of a dominant DL which included former Jaguar DT Sealver Siliga taking names right and left.

I'm also irked by his Oilers tat, but at least it's not a tacks tat.

He was on the Thorpe Award watch list in college for a while. Some people who followed AAF a lot closer than me thought he was one of the best safeties in the league, definitely run stopper wise at least. 

All in all probably an ST guy who could possibly be backup SS too.
Taking a close look at our secondary, we really don't seem to have much after Ramsey and Bouye who when on the field together can make any secondary elite. I figure we're drafting at least one DB with Tyler Patmon gone, but let's try to break this down...

first the starters...

RCB Jalen Ramsey
SS Rodney Harrison
FS Jarrod Wilson
LCB AJ Bouye
nickel: DJ Hayden

The first thing that stands out is the idea of Wilson starting. I like Wilson because we don't seem to skip much of a beat with him in there, but I don't know that I'm exactly comfortable with him starting.

Now for the remaining backup DBs...

CB: Tre Herndon, Quenton Meeks, Breon Borders & Cody Brown
S: Cody Davis and CJ Reavis

I figure we keep 5 CBs and 4 Ss noting an old Coughlin saying that a team can never have too many good CBs. A 10th DB at either CB or S is a strong possibility, and we have kept as many as 11.

At CB I think they really like Herndon, so that leaves probably one spot between Meeks, Borders and Brown with Meeks appearing to have a significant edge here. At S we can safely pencil in roster spots for Harrison, Wilson and Davis, but we surely end up with at least one more to compete with CJ Reavis.

Breon Borders and CJ Reavis have barely got their feet wet as players and project more as practice squad players along with Cody Brown.

Davis is the veteran of the group as he'll be 30 years old going into his 7th season. Last year was his first year with the Jags after five seasons with the Rams, but he only has five career starts on defense. That is to say, like Wilson he's pretty much always been a backup, although Davis has long been a standout player on Special Teams. He did see a little action last year at FS with the Jaguars when Gipson was out.
(04-13-2019, 12:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Taking a close look at our secondary, we really don't seem to have much after Ramsey and Bouye who when on the field together can make any secondary elite. I figure we're drafting at least one DB with Tyler Patmon gone, but let's try to break this down...

first the starters...

RCB Jalen Ramsey
SS Rodney Harrison
FS Jarrod Wilson
LCB AJ Bouye

The first thing that stands out is the idea of Wilson starting. I like Wilson because we don't seem to skip much of a beat with him in there, but I don't know that I'm exactly comfortable with him starting.

I thought both Herndon and Meeks played quite well when called from the bench. I'd consider them near locks to make the roster. Herndon showed versatility to play the slot or outside, while Meeks look like a potential ball hawk playing outside if he can improve technique.  His instincts to play the ball are great.  Just needs polish to shore up some consistency. 

Whether they intend to give Jarrod Wilson competition at safety is the only question in my mind regarding this secondary. 
I also think that if Cody Brown makes the roster it will be at safety/ST, not CB, but who knows?  Maybe Caldwell's scouting reports are saying he should get looks at the nickel spot.
Doesn't hurt to take a flyer on him. He'll be in better football shape coming straight over from the AAF potentially. As most have already pointed out he was held in high regards coming out of college and during his time with the AAF. Doesn't mean he's a slouch or camp fodder neither because he's coming over from a minor leauge that failed.

Could be a steal. You never know.
(04-13-2019, 12:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2019, 12:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Taking a close look at our secondary, we really don't seem to have much after Ramsey and Bouye who when on the field together can make any secondary elite. I figure we're drafting at least one DB with Tyler Patmon gone, but let's try to break this down...

first the starters...

RCB Jalen Ramsey
SS Rodney Harrison
FS Jarrod Wilson
LCB AJ Bouye

I thought both Herndon and Meeks played quite well when called from the bench. I'd consider them near locks to make the roster. Herndon showed versatility to play the slot or outside, while Meeks look like a potential ball hawk playing outside if he can improve technique.  His instincts to play the ball are great.  Just needs polish to shore up some consistency. 

Whether they intend to give Jarrod Wilson competition at safety is the only question in my mind regarding this secondary. 
I also think that if Cody Brown makes the roster it will be at safety/ST, not CB, but who knows?  Maybe Caldwell's scouting reports are saying he should get looks at the nickel spot.

Interesting thought about them maybe looking at Cody in the Nickel as that's often a CB/SS type of role. As a nickel, DJ Hayden is average at best, and Herdon might even beat him out for the role if Cody Brown doesn't.