Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: GOP doesn't know what political science degree is
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's only funny until you actually have a political science degree ( a Bachelor of Science, in fact) and you spend your entire adult life hearing about how politics isn't a science.

News flash people: IT'S NOT. However, the study of political thought and theories over the course of human history and application of those to modern events is.
BA or BS, whatever. It was in political science. It is pretty funny that he understands nothing and yet try to continue down his questioning path. The lady in white behind Massie cracks me up.
Massie ran circles around the intellectual lightweight Kerry. Simply mopped the floor with him, similar to how Owens did to Lieu.
That's embarrassing. I don't know how people can take these questions seriously. There is no way I'd respond to that question with anything but sarcasm.
I will help you. A PS degree is a worthless degree and one of those degrees people receive and walk away with 100K in student loan debts and complain about the "system" because their 30K a year job doesn't allow them to pay it back.
(04-11-2019, 07:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I will help you. A PS degree is a worthless degree and one of those degrees people receive and walk away with 100K in student loan debts and complain about the "system" because their 30K a year job doesn't allow them to pay it back.

Well, I suppose at least it's relevant to his career path within our worthless government.
(04-10-2019, 05:14 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]It's only funny until you actually have a political science degree ( a Bachelor of Science, in fact) and you spend your entire adult life hearing about how politics isn't a science.

News flash people: IT'S NOT. However, the study of political thought and theories over the course of human history and application of those to modern events is.

Still not a science. What you're describing is studying history.

And that was the point Massie was making, that a person with a degree claiming to be in a science when it isn't is doing the same thing when bloviating about global warming, and has no credibility.
(04-11-2019, 07:53 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I will help you. A PS degree is a worthless degree and one of those degrees people receive and walk away with 100K in student loan debts and complain about the "system" because their 30K a year job doesn't allow them to pay it back.

Hi there. Polisci degree. Zero student debt. Got scholarships and worked my way through it. I get paid a lot more than $30k. A lot more. If I could do it all over again, I'd have finished my journalism degree because that's where my passion was, but that's part of the reason I'm in the middle of a divorce, so yeah. Polisci is only a worthless degree if your goal in taking it is solely to graduate.

(04-11-2019, 11:15 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-10-2019, 05:14 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]It's only funny until you actually have a political science degree ( a Bachelor of Science, in fact) and you spend your entire adult life hearing about how politics isn't a science.

And that was the point Massie was making, that a person with a degree claiming to be in a science when it isn't is doing the same thing when bloviating about global warming, and has no credibility.

Studying history is one thing. Applying that history to modern events and using it to shape future policy decisions borders on science. The vast majority of polisci majors end up waiting tables or driving Ubers, but the few who take historical precedents and political theories, apply them to modern situations to create hypothetical policy, test that policy idea through polling and information gathering, then recommend putting that policy in place or not doing so are using the scientific method, even if they don't get to make H/O2 balloons turn into massive fireballs on a weekly basis.
(04-11-2019, 12:16 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi there. Polisci degree. Zero student debt. Got scholarships and worked my way through it. I get paid a lot more than $30k. A lot more. If I could do it all over again, I'd have finished my journalism degree because that's where my passion was, but that's part of the reason I'm in the middle of a divorce, so yeah. Polisci is only a worthless degree if your goal in taking it is solely to graduate.

(04-11-2019, 11:15 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Still not a science. What you're describing is studying history.

Studying history is one thing. Applying that history to modern events and using it to shape future policy decisions borders on science. The vast majority of polisci majors end up waiting tables or driving Ubers, but the few who take historical precedents and political theories, apply them to modern situations to create hypothetical policy, test that policy idea through polling and information gathering, then recommend putting that policy in place or not doing so are using the scientific method, even if they don't get to make H/O2 balloons turn into massive fireballs on a weekly basis.

[Image: purity.png]
(04-11-2019, 11:15 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]

That's good spin, but I didn't get that out of it at all.   It really seemed like he didn't actually understand that "political science" is a liberal arts degree, not a science degree.  

Maybe he needs to work on his delivery.
(04-11-2019, 01:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2019, 12:16 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there. Polisci degree. Zero student debt. Got scholarships and worked my way through it. I get paid a lot more than $30k. A lot more. If I could do it all over again, I'd have finished my journalism degree because that's where my passion was, but that's part of the reason I'm in the middle of a divorce, so yeah. Polisci is only a worthless degree if your goal in taking it is solely to graduate.

I dig it.
(04-12-2019, 09:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2019, 11:15 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Still not a science. What you're describing is studying history.

That's good spin, but I didn't get that out of it at all.   It really seemed like he didn't actually understand that "political science" is a liberal arts degree, not a science degree.  

I think it's up to the college as to whether one gets a BS or BA for Political Science, but I could be wrong. Is there some overseeing body that regulates whether each field of study comes with a BS or BA?
(04-12-2019, 11:05 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-12-2019, 09:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]That's good spin, but I didn't get that out of it at all.   It really seemed like he didn't actually understand that "political science" is a liberal arts degree, not a science degree.  

I think it's up to the college as to whether one gets a BS or BA for Political Science, but I could be wrong. Is there some overseeing body that regulates whether each field of study comes with a BS or BA?

The coursework is decided by each institution and determines the Arts or Science designation. A BS of PoliSci will be more heavily slanted towards math and statistics while a BA will be more Humanities driven. Some subjects can't be one or the other (BS of English isn't really a thing for instance). Many degree programs are certified by external bodies, but that's more about quality of content than program type.
(04-11-2019, 01:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2019, 12:16 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there. Polisci degree. Zero student debt. Got scholarships and worked my way through it. I get paid a lot more than $30k. A lot more. If I could do it all over again, I'd have finished my journalism degree because that's where my passion was, but that's part of the reason I'm in the middle of a divorce, so yeah. Polisci is only a worthless degree if your goal in taking it is solely to graduate.

Lol gave me a good laugh

I have a PS degree. I didn't name the major, and I don't go around claiming to be a scientist. Anyone questioning someone over the name of a degree is headed down a ridiculous trail of thought. 

At FSU, the only difference between a BA and a BS for Poli Sci is three semesters of a foreign language. There is more to the major than history; there are research projects and analytics, much like other sciences.  It does seem silly to call it a science, because human activity has so many variables, but we're in the same boat with psychology (even though most wouldn't have a problem calling that a science). 

All of the social sciences are attempting to understand human behavior and patterns and should be using the scientific method to arrive at their conclusions. That said, I'll be the first to admit that the social sciences is the absolute worst at following the scientific method and removing biases from their research.
I live in coal country. That wasn’t Massie being dumb about a political science degree. It was Massie doing what coal company puppets have to do in order to keep the campaign contributions coming.
Massie was attempting (and it was a big fail BTW) to slip some humor into his questioning by asserting that John F Kerry has no credentials to be speaking on global warming. He was trying to show that it's pseudo science to begin with, and thought it was a clever manuever to use Kerry's poli-sci degree as the punchline. It was painful to watch. Youi have to work really hard to make Lurch Kerry appear smart.