Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Jalen Ramsey on absence: 'I'll be ready when it's time'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jalen Ramsey on absence: 'I'll be ready when it's time'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...n-its-time

Jalen Ramsey and his agent, David Mulugheta, responded to Jaguars executive vice president Tom Coughlin's comments that all of Jacksonville's players should attend voluntary workouts.
I have no doubts about Ramsey being ready for the season. Coughlin has a culture to uphold and that means holding everyone accountable directly or indirectly. In the age of social media stuff gets blown way out of proportion and then turns into a big fiasco like it's some kind of pay per view fight. Why must we try and criticize either party? I am sure Coughlin understands that Ramsey is vital to the success of the Jaguars but the team comes first and that's all he is preaching.
Coughlin is doing his best to run off the best player we've had in years because he wants to run this team like it's the 90s again.
(04-22-2019, 08:46 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]Coughlin is doing his best to run off the best player we've had in years because he wants to run this team like it's the 90s again.

If Jalen took it that personally then he's not quite the professional he wants us to believe he is. And the professional he should be. He wasn't ready for last year. All that winnin' and grinnin' from 2017 made him soft last year. I hope he really does have his head in the game this year because he is a game changer, whether good or bad.
(04-22-2019, 05:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 08:46 AM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]Coughlin is doing his best to run off the best player we've had in years because he wants to run this team like it's the 90s again.

If Jalen took it that personally then he's not quite the professional he wants us to believe he is. And the professional he should be. He wasn't ready for last year. All that winnin' and grinnin' from 2017 made him soft last year. I hope he really does have his head in the game this year because he is a game changer, whether good or bad.
(Emphasis added)

What is THIS based on?!?

He played with injury late in the season, even when the season was long lost.

I know there is ZERO chance we shut out the Colts without his play.

I know we don't have the chance to beat the Steelers until the very end without his play.

Did you enjoy the crushing of the Patriots?  Again, that doesn't happen without him.

Oh by the way, Marrone had the wrong number when he said he didn't get a response from Ramsey.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jagu...ugh-042219
(04-22-2019, 07:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 05:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]If Jalen took it that personally then he's not quite the professional he wants us to believe he is. And the professional he should be. He wasn't ready for last year. All that winnin' and grinnin' from 2017 made him soft last year. I hope he really does have his head in the game this year because he is a game changer, whether good or bad.
(Emphasis added)

What is THIS based on?!?

I know we don't have the chance to beat the Steelers until the very end without his play.

Did you enjoy the crushing of the Patriots?  Again, that doesn't happen without him.

Oh by the way, Marrone had the wrong number when he said he didn't get a response from Ramsey.

2017 they (D line) were awesome, 2018 they seemed full of themselves coming into the season and it showed- except for Campbell- he worked his [BLEEP] off. Yes there were injuries to the team that kept the D line on the field a lot more than usual but Ramsey was getting burned left and right and a lot of folks saw it and talked about it. 

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I like the guy, but he runs his mouth too much sometimes.
(04-22-2019, 09:30 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 07:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ](Emphasis added)

What is THIS based on?!?

2017 they (D line) were awesome, 2018 they seemed full of themselves coming into the season and it showed- except for Campbell- he worked his [BLEEP] off. Yes there were injuries to the team that kept the D line on the field a lot more than usual but Ramsey was getting burned left and right and a lot of folks saw it and talked about it. 

I'm not saying he's a bad player, I like the guy, but he runs his mouth too much sometimes.
1.  I would differ with your indirect assessment of Ngakoue's play.  Ngakoue played quite well last year.

2.  There were reasons the play of the defense fell off, including:
  • a dramatic fall off from the offense.  With the injuries and poor performance coming from that side of the ball, the defense played with fewer leads and were left on the field for too long;
  • A decrease in the quality of the depth;  once Fowler was traded, the pass rush took a hit.  While Fowler had his share of detractors here, it is without question he provided far more of a pass rush than Smoot.  Once he was out of the rotation, Ngkoue and Campbell had to play more snaps and were not as fresh or exposed to as many favorable match ups.  When Smoot was put in the lineup, he didn't have the production that fowler had, and that impacted the rest of the defense.
  • I think maturity played a role  As professionals, this group had not had sustained success.  While there were circumstances beyond their control that adversely impacted their performance, I think focus, for whatever reason, was an issue, which is one reason why the defense could look like total garbage in the first half in the first Colts game, then look stellar against the same Colts team later in the season.  I believe the team as a whole learned from last year, and in a strange way, if sufficiently re-stocked this week-could be better for it.
3.  As far Ramsey, he had a down year by his standards.  There was at least one blown coverage against the Colts, and given the excessive number of crossing routes that OBJ ran, some say he had a bad game week one, though I don't put much of that on Ramsey the way some of you do.  Late in the year, he played through the injury.  But even a down year by his standards makes him the best player on the team and among the best in the league.  His mouth didn't have anything to do with it either way.
(04-22-2019, 09:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 09:30 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]2017 they (D line) were awesome, 2018 they seemed full of themselves coming into the season and it showed- except for Campbell- he worked his [BLEEP] off. Yes there were injuries to the team that kept the D line on the field a lot more than usual but Ramsey was getting burned left and right and a lot of folks saw it and talked about it. 

1.  I would differ with your indirect assessment of Ngakoue's play.  Ngakoue played quite well last year.

• a dramatic fall off from the offense.  With the injuries and poor performance coming from that side of the ball, the defense played with fewer leads and were left on the field for too long;
  • A decrease in the quality of the depth;  once Fowler was traded, the pass rush took a hit.  While Fowler had his share of detractors here, it is without question he provided far more of a pass rush than Smoot.  Once he was out of the rotation, Ngkoue and Campbell had to play more snaps and were not as fresh or exposed to as many favorable match ups.  When Smoot was put in the lineup, he didn't have the production that fowler had, and that impacted the rest of the defense.
  • I think maturity played a role  As professionals, this group had not had sustained success.  While there were circumstances beyond their control that adversely impacted their performance, I think focus, for whatever reason, was an issue, which is one reason why the defense could look like total garbage in the first half in the first Colts game, then look stellar against the same Colts team later in the season.  I believe the team as a whole learned from last year, and in a strange way, if sufficiently re-stocked this week-could be better for it.
3.  As far Ramsey, he had a down year by his standards.  There was at least one blown coverage against the Colts, and given the excessive number of crossing routes that OBJ ran, some say he had a bad game week one, though I don't put much of that on Ramsey the way some of you do.  Late in the year, he played through the injury.  But even a down year by his standards makes him the best player on the team and among the best in the league.  His mouth didn't have anything to do with it either way.

That's pretty much all I was saying in the first place. And he needs to get his head straight and not be so Twitter happy. Do the work and don't worry about the rest. He's acting like TC called him out personally and by name.
(04-23-2019, 07:02 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2019, 09:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]1.  I would differ with your indirect assessment of Ngakoue's play.  Ngakoue played quite well last year.

That's pretty much all I was saying in the first place. And he needs to get his head straight and not be so Twitter happy. Do the work and don't worry about the rest. He's acting like TC called him out personally and by name.

At least two other people not on this message board (Oesher and Cruz) seem to think the comments were directed specifically at Ramsey and Smith.
(04-23-2019, 07:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-23-2019, 07:02 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]That's pretty much all I was saying in the first place. And he needs to get his head straight and not be so Twitter happy. Do the work and don't worry about the rest. He's acting like TC called him out personally and by name.

At least two other people not on this message board (Oesher and Cruz) seem to think the comments were directed specifically at Ramsey and Smith.

Are they the only players who didn't show up? If not then I say again, he needs to get his head straight and not be so reactive. Has Smith reacted at all? 

Contrary to popular belief in today's society, not everything needs a public reaction in social media. I know Ramsey has a big personality but sometimes less is more.

This team has been to 3 AFC Championship games under Coughlin.