Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com.(GMF) How Jets May Trade #3 Pick for Ramsey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
They have lost their freaking minds.
Ya, GMF what ifs , my bad LOL
I saw that earlier today-not the Winovich interview but the whole Jets trade thing.

Why are they always trying to get us to trade Ramsey?!?

Even before this whole kerfuffle about Ramsey not being here at the voluntary workouts, LaDanian Tomlinson proposed the patently ridiculous trade of Ramsey straight up for 31 year old WR Antonio Brown.

Today they throw this scenario up.

My thing is if they are going to offer up this nonsense, could they at least offer worthwhile compensation?
HAHAHA
I would do this for one simple reason, He is going to demand a monster contract next year. I don't know if we can invest in paying Yannick and Ramsey that kind of money next year. Defensive line has priority.

In this scenario we could draft the best defensive player aside from bosa on the board with the #3 pick and turn around and get Hockenson 7th. Look for the best cb available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ramsey is the best cb in the league but I don't think it's wise to pay top dollar at the cb posiiton. I am a fan of paying the big men up front. With the salary cap you often can't pay both your secondary and defensive line top dollar so a choice has to be made.
It'd be dumb to trade Ramsey, even for the 3rd overall pick.
No no no no and no....
(04-22-2019, 11:08 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]I would do this for one simple reason,  He is going to demand a monster contract next year.  I don't know if we can invest in paying Yannick and Ramsey that kind of money next year.  Defensive line has priority.

In this scenario we could draft the best defensive player aside from bosa on the board with the #3 pick and turn around and get Hockenson 7th.   Look for the best cb available in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ramsey is the best cb in the league but I don't think it's wise to pay top dollar at the cb posiiton.  I am a fan of paying the big men up front.  With the salary cap you often can't pay both your secondary and defensive line top dollar so a choice has to be made.

By cutting Dareus alone next year, we clear over $22 million in cap space.  If you add Campbell, I know it's over ten million ..may be closer to 16 million more.  Bortles salary will be off the books too.  I defer to 02 and other more cap savvy people for the exact figures. Point is there should be money enough to sign Ramsey and Ngakoue.

As a franchise we can't be afraid of big contracts, especially when the whole point of drafting is to be able to acquire the players with the ability to earn those deals.
Besides all the above, the #3 pick is not a proven player. Every year, draft prospects are sold as if they are sure fire pro bowlers. And yet every year, a high number of them fail to live up to the hype.

Ramsey is a proven player. Therefore worth much more than the unproven #3 pick.
I can't believe people are voting to trade Ramsey.

wow
Um....trade one of the few true blue chips this team has on defense? One of the better cornerbacks in the league in coverage?

I can't even fathom why someone would think that's a great idea. Especially with Jacksonville's luck with first round picks in this past decade..
Ramsey is/will be a multi-year All Pro considered the best at a very important position. The draft is a gamble, with no guaranty the prospect chosen will be of NFL worth. Ramsey's value in any trade scenario would be worth greater than a single 1st round selection.
If there was a CB prospect in the top ten that compares to him, I *might* consider.

There is not, so the offer is responded to with a simple dial tone.
If the Jags did trade Ramsey (which they won’t) everyone on this board voting to trade him would be the first to say “we need cornerback help bad.”

So stupid. Just like it was dumb for the Raiders to trade Mack. All-Pro players are extremely hard to find and when you have one WHO IS STILL 25 YEARS YOUNG OR YOUNGER you don’t trade them. Period.
(04-23-2019, 08:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jags did trade Ramsey (which they won’t) everyone on this board voting to trade him would be the first to say “we need cornerback help bad.”

So stupid. Just like it was dumb for the Raiders to trade Mack. All-Pro players are extremely hard to find and when you have one WHO IS STILL 25 YEARS YOUNG OR YOUNGER you don’t trade them. Period.

Absolutely right.
No! He will get paid and it will be the Jags stroking the check.
(04-23-2019, 08:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]If the Jags did trade Ramsey (which they won’t) everyone on this board voting to trade him would be the first to say “we need cornerback help bad.”

Personally, I don't question his talent, but I do question the importance of the position in the modern NFL and the rules rapidly shifting to support the offensive side of the ball in 50/50 situations. 

When it comes time to pay the man, if it comes at the cost of neglecting the offensive side of the ball, I think it will be a mistake. Now, if the cap has risen so much by then, it will be moot.
(04-23-2019, 09:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Personally, I don't question his talent, but I do question the importance of the position in the modern NFL and the rules rapidly shifting to support the offensive side of the ball in 50/50 situations. 

When it comes time to pay the man, if it comes at the cost of neglecting the offensive side of the ball, I think it will be a mistake. Now, if the cap has risen so much by then, it will be moot.

Assuming Ramsey doesn't pull a Darrelle Revis and holdout entering his third season (this year) - then the time to pay him will most likely be next offseason. It's the Jags best chance to save a few million on what will certainly be a mega-contract.  So the cap won't go up much between now and then. 

Regarding offense, the best way to address that IMO is to pay the cornerstone defenders now (Ramsey, Ngakoue, probably Jack too) and use the draft to augment offensive talent in the short term.  In 2021 you can refocus that approach if necessary. 

Despite the trends of the league and it's rule changes, you don't let defenders like that walk away. They are good enough to help mitigate the effect of the trends in question.
Ramsey changes the way offenses play the Jags, that split second doubt of the QB to throw to Ramsey allows the D line to pressure that QB. An offense can be average and still win games if you have a shut down defense, unless Bortles is the QB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4