Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I found some amazing stats that might explain Bortles' recent struggles.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Last year, the Jags' offense scored 40 TDs.  Of those 40, Blake accounted for 37 - 35 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs.  Yeldon scored the other three rushing TDs.

That means that Blake accounted for just under 93% of the TDs scored last year.

To put that percentage in comparison, I looked at a few other quarterbacks during their best years.

In 2013, Peyton Manning threw a career high (and NFL record) 55 TDs. Yet he only accounted for 79% of the TDs Denver scored that year.  The Broncos also rushed for 14 TDs, with Knowshon Moreno leading the way.

I looked up Tom Brady's stats during the Pats' last Super Bowl year  (2014).  Brady threw 34 TDs, yet accounted for only 72% of the offense.  New England scored 13 rushing TDs that year, with five players scoring more than two.

To me, that says that even the best quarterbacks can not succeed without an effective running game. 

My guess is that Blake feels like it's his responsibility alone to score. And in reality, given our poor running game, he's probably right.  The pressure might be causing him to panic, to forget about his mechanics, and just sling the ball.  Also, consider that teams are double teaming his favorite target, A-Rob. 

On Sunday, Yeldon gave him some support, and he did much better.  He was far from perfect, but certainly improved over his terrible outings against Baltimore and San Diego.

Blake may never be an elite QB in this league. But we'll never know unless he gets some running support.

Interesting stat and I agree with your accessment.
Quote:Last year, the Jags' offense scored 40 TDs.  Of those 40, Blake accounted for 37 - 35 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs.  Yeldon scored the other three rushing TDs.

To put that percentage in comparison, I looked at a few other quarterbacks during their best years.

In 2013, Peyton Manning threw a career high (and NFL record) 55 TDs. Yet he only accounted for 79% of the TDs Denver scored that year.  The Broncos also rushed for 14 TDs, with Knowshon Moreno leading the way.

I looked up Tom Brady's stats during the Pats' last Super Bowl year  (2014).  Brady threw 34 TDs, yet accounted for only 72% of the offense.  New England scored 13 rushing TDs that year, with five players scoring more than two.

To me, that says that even the best quarterbacks can not succeed without an effective running game. 

My guess is that Blake feels like it's his responsibility alone to score. And in reality, given our poor running game, he's probably right.  The pressure might be causing him to panic, to forget about his mechanics, and just sling the ball.  Also, consider that teams are double teaming his favorite target, A-Rob. 

On Sunday, Yeldon gave him some support, and he did much better.  He was far from perfect, but certainly improved over his terrible outings against Baltimore and San Diego.

Blake may never be an elite QB in this league. But we'll never know unless he gets some running support.

Quote:Interesting stat and I agree with your accessment.
me too
I agree as well

Quote:Last year, the Jags' offense scored 40 TDs.  Of those 40, Blake accounted for 37 - 35 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs.  Yeldon scored the other three rushing TDs.

I thought this was common sense. I've been screaming this on here since the San Diego game. It's not a coincidence that when the running game was somewhat productive in London with Yeldon that all of a sudden Bortles looked like he's supposed to look at the QB position. When he's able to get help in the running game it opens up what he does best. Which is working off the play action fakes and bootlegs. He's not a traditional pocket passer. He's a mobile guy. He's in the same vein as Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Russel Wilson and Andrew Luck. Those guys NEED a convincing running game to let them keep the defenses honest and to allow them to buy time with their feet to extend plays. Lacy is underrated in Green Bay. But he's a reason why Rodgers can succeed. Big Ben just got Bell back last night. Bell runs for almost 150 yards and Ben does what? He throws 5 TD passes around like it's nothing. Luck hasn't had a 100 yard rusher in over 50 games or something to that effect. He's struggling and suffering because of that. Look at Atlanta right now. Between Coleman and Freeman they've banged up defenses and it's allowing Julio Jones and the rest of the receivers to get deep which Ryan is now having a field day with. Look at New England. Before they got shut out by Buffalo they were leading the leauge in rushing with Blount's legs. The running game is still a key aspect of a successful offense. It gets overlooked because we see so many 5K passers now. But in reality. It's your QB's like the guys above that flirt with 4K with a stout running game that get it done..... 

I AGREE!

Great stat work and I agree completely.

Hmmm...I guess I should agree as well.

I disagree completely!

No particular reason, other than it isn't a thread on this board unless there is some disagreement.

Seriously, good work.

Quote:I disagree completely!

No particular reason, other than it isn't a thread on this board unless there is some disagreement.

Seriously, good work.

I'm sure Phil Sims disagrees.
Good info!

Thanks for sharing

Most of BB touchdowns came when they were losing so you would expect that they would be throwing the ball. Broncos and Pats more than likely had leads and were running the ball.  

I been screaming that for weeks, give Bortles a running game and he will be fine, but we have idiots who want to draft his replacement and bench him for Henne, not talking about people on this board but people on twitter

pretty much.
Quote:I'm sure Phil Sims disagrees.

Must run in that family.
Quote:I AGREE!
Go to bed haoleboy you're tired
Quote:Most of BB touchdowns came when they were losing so you would expect that they would be throwing the ball. Broncos and Pats more than likely had leads and were running the ball.  

Guess what? A good running game is one reason the Broncos and Patriots were often leading during the fourth quarter.
Quote:Most of BB touchdowns came when they were losing so you would expect that they would be throwing the ball. Broncos and Pats more than likely had leads and were running the ball.  
Not true. Here's some key information from an article written on this very subject in Big Cat Country.

In 2015 while the Jaguars were behind by between 9-16 points (so, two scores) he threw for just over 1,000 yards with nine touchdowns and seven interceptions. When the Jaguars were losing within one-to-eight points (so, one score) he threw for just over 1,500 yards with 13 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

Twenty-two of Bortles 35 touchdowns were thrown in games where the margin of victory was between zero and seven points with only five being thrown in games where the margin was 15+ points.

No one calls Derek Carr's numbers garbage time, but nearly half of his touchdowns were thrown in  games where the final margin of victory was 8+ points.
[Image: g1447031318703334200.jpg]

An very good running game and a great defense, wins,

Chhhhhhammmmpppiiiooonnnshhiiippppppsss
Pages: 1 2 3