Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tom and Dave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We all know they get together and make the draft boards collectively, a long with Doug.  But you would have to be naive to think there are differences.  Since Tom has been here don't you think he has more say and influence on the first 2 rounds and then Tom gives Dave more leeway on the 3rd round, and later.  History says that's were there strengths are.  Thoughts?
Yep. It’s a good system to have two GM types from different backgrounds and eras balancing each other .
I think Dave has VERY much improved by working under Coughlin. Can't believe that our former QB would have been our pick there in 2014. Coughlin would have certainly overruled and taken Mack.

I think Dave was just green and needed Coughlin to grow. I can't think of anything he did outside of getting the no-brainer picks right prior to coming to Jacksonville, albeit at cost.

His 2012 draft (his first as personnel director) was forgettable, partly due to having traded away picks the year prior.
As head of college scouting, he directed the team that scouted and recommended the no-brainer picks Matt Ryan and Julio Jones - but the latter at the cost of the 2012 draft.
It would appear he carried over that same over-exuberant desire for a single player with us in 2014.

But... things seem to have turned a corner for him under the wing of Coughlin. It's still questionable, IMO, what would happen without the pairing (and to be fair... applies to both.)