Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 7th Round Pick : DT Dontavius Russell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Big nose tackle like Abry Jones.

I was thinking they'd get a 3-tech to rotate with Tavon, but I guess they have a plan. Looks like he's got the size and everything... just needs some technique coaching.
(04-28-2019, 12:34 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Big nose tackle like Abry Jones.

I was thinking they'd get a 3-tech to rotate with Tavon, but I guess they have a plan. Looks like he's got the size and everything... just needs some technique coaching.

My guess is with Dareus probably playing more 3 tech they'd like to have another nose on hand.

So 3 tech rotation is Dareus/Taven/whatever Calais gives when he moves in , nose rotation is Abey/whatever Dareus gives when he's there/Russell
Possible NT depth if he can make the cut.

Which means he and Tavon have absolutely nothing in common. Study DT roles.
If he impresses enough, could Abry be cut? I don't think he has any dead cap.
Simply additional rotational depth.

NH3...
(04-28-2019, 12:48 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2019, 12:34 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Big nose tackle like Abry Jones.

My guess is with Dareus probably playing more 3 tech they'd like to have another nose on hand.

So 3 tech rotation is Dareus/Taven/whatever Calais gives when he moves in , nose rotation is Abey/whatever Dareus gives when he's there/Russell

(04-28-2019, 12:54 AM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]Possible NT depth if he can make the cut.

Which means he and Tavon have absolutely nothing in common.  Study DT roles.

Confirmation
I wasn't impressed based off of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWufOnG8Ro

https://www.patriots.com/video/college-h...urn-325611

This is one is better
Being a 4 year starter at Auburn is impressive
I'm not an auburn fan......since I'm a Bulldog and Vol fan....but I like Big Uglies from the S-E-C Baby.
(04-28-2019, 03:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Being a 4 year starter at Auburn is impressive

That coupled with durability is what caught my eye.
(04-28-2019, 03:38 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't impressed based off of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWufOnG8Ro

https://www.patriots.com/video/college-h...urn-325611

This is one is better

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is he always seems to be the last one off the snap.  He also does not have much speed or lateral movement.

But I saw plays where he overpowered the G and collapsed the pocket.

I would hasten to add his true worth would be maximized as a run defender, but most of those were passing plays.
Seems like it be hard for my G to wrap up
He's a run stuffing NT through and through and that's what he was brought here to do... Be a big bodied run stuffer who clogs up in the middle.
In addition to him they brought in a lot of DT potential NT in for visits, tryouts and also in the undrafted group we signed.
They are wisely looking for a cheap option at NT considering Dareus next year will be gone with that cap hit (obvoiusly you are not going to replace Dareus value with these guys, I'm talking about strictly about run stoppers) and to potentially replace Abry Jones as well eventually since he has no dead money on his contract. Smart move and considering we have had issues with our run defense it's nice to see them trying to bring in contributors for cheap in that part of the game.
(04-29-2019, 05:06 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: [ -> ]In addition to him they brought in a lot of DT potential NT in for visits, tryouts and also in the undrafted group we signed.
They are wisely looking for a cheap option at NT considering Dareus next year will be gone with that cap hit (obvoiusly you are not going to replace Dareus value with these guys, I'm talking about strictly about run stoppers) and to potentially replace Abry Jones as well eventually since he has no dead money on his contract. Smart move and considering we have had issues with our run defense it's nice to see them trying to bring in contributors for cheap in that part of the game.

All of the above, plus, as we saw with the offensive line last year, injuries happen, and depth is a must.
As I've watched his highlights, I continually see him being man handled most of the time and he's slow off the ball. If an DT out of our UDFA crop impresses. He won't make the 53-Man roster...

NH3...
(04-28-2019, 09:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]He's a run stuffing NT through and through and that's what he was brought here to do... Be a big bodied run stuffer who clogs up in the middle.

Exactly.

Think Grady Jackson and Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson, etc.

These type of players just eat space and that’s it. They get real hungry around that goal line too.

I like the pick. 4 year starter down in the SEC
(04-30-2019, 02:25 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2019, 09:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]He's a run stuffing NT through and through and that's what he was brought here to do... Be a big bodied run stuffer who clogs up in the middle.

Exactly.

Think Grady Jackson and Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson, etc.

These type of players just eat space and that’s it. They get real hungry around that goal line too.

I like the pick. 4 year starter down in the SEC

Underlined for emphasis.   Any 4 year starter on a quality SEC program is worth a 7th round pick for sure.