Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Roundup: Jags to sign LBs Ramik Wilson, Najee Goode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Roundup: Jags to sign LBs Ramik Wilson, Najee Goode

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ajee-goode

More depth to the defense in Jacksonville. The Jaguars are signing free-agent linebackers Ramik Wilson and Najee Goode, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports.
(05-01-2019, 03:05 PM)Jaxson Wrote: [ -> ]Roundup: Jags to sign LBs Ramik Wilson, Najee Goode

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ajee-goode

More depth to the defense in Jacksonville. The Jaguars are signing free-agent linebackers Ramik Wilson and Najee Goode, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports.

thats 3 LB they picked up today. very interesting
I officially have no clue what this team intends to do with all these linebackers.

If they are just trying to really churn competition at the bottom of the depth chart, they sure are going at it with full force.

Maybe DeCamillis is on a mission to revamp the kick coverage unit.
They're going crazy adding LBs. Ramik probably makes the roster too imo.
Reading up a bit more, Alexander and Goode seem destined to compete for ST roles based on their pro snap history.
did They signed another one making it 4 ??

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-sig...4tK4iwXG40
MAY
  • 05/01
    D.J. Alexander (LB) signed.
  • 05/01
    Ramik Wilson (LB) signed.
  • 05/01
    Najee Goode (LB) signed.
APRIL
  • 04/30
    James Onwualu (LB) claimed off waivers.

wow
(05-01-2019, 03:48 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]did They signed another one making it 4 ??

4 signed/claimed in two days.

All seem destined for depth/ST play though. This seems to be a priority this offseason - and rightfully so as it’s been ignored for a long time.
I don't think LB would have made the top 5 of our depth needs.Hopefully we get another safety or two in
DJ Alexander has been dubbed a special teams ace by both Pete Carroll and Doug Pederson during his tenure with their teams.
(05-01-2019, 03:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think LB would have made the top 5 of our depth needs.Hopefully we get another safety or two in

Agreed.

At least bring in some competition. I’m still not entirely comfortable with Josh Wilson as the starting safety but as each day passes it begins to become a likely possibility.

Tre Boston is still out there and probably could be had on a cheap 1 year deal....

(05-01-2019, 03:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Reading up a bit more, Alexander and Goode seem destined to compete for ST roles based on their pro snap history.

https://twitter.com/awalkercolts/status/...23682?s=21
TC and Dave have both said they really like LBs on special teams. With that said, this certainly looks like an effort to ramp up camp competition at LB. We've all seen it and I'm sure it was identified at years end by the staff that LBs in coverage, specifically Telvin, sucked last year.
(05-01-2019, 03:59 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2019, 03:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think LB would have made the top 5 of our depth needs.Hopefully we get another safety or two in

Agreed.

At least bring in some competition. I’m still not entirely comfortable with Josh Wilson as the starting safety but as each day passes it begins to become a likely possibility.

(Jarrod)

But yeah, it's clear they like Wilson. 
Cody Davis has some decent starts under his belt, but he'd be a pretty steep drop-off.  After that it's Reavis and the rookie from Wyoming. 

Have to consider whether they like some of their depth CBs as potential safeties too. (Herndon/Meeks)

What they do when camp cuts happen will be telling regarding that safety insurance policy situation.
(in case Wilson doesn't prove worthy)
(05-01-2019, 04:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]TC and Dave have both said they really like LBs on special teams. With that said, this certainly looks like an effort to ramp up camp competition at LB. We've all seen it and I'm sure it was identified at years end by the staff that LBs in coverage, specifically Telvin, sucked last year.

None of these guys are really "coverage" type LBs. 
The only one that isn't a clear ST guy is Ramik Wilson and he's much more likely to back-up the SAM spot than he is to play WLB.
Dempsey kept calling Josh Oliver Josh Wilson. He even slipped and said Quincy Wilson once. #trivial
(05-01-2019, 06:02 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: [ -> ]Dempsey kept calling Josh Oliver Josh Wilson. He even slipped and said Quincy Wilson once. #trivial

I heard that. Maybe he'd just seen Cast Away.

[Image: cast_away_wilson_face.jpg]
(05-01-2019, 04:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]TC and Dave have both said they really like LBs on special teams. With that said, this certainly looks like an effort to ramp up camp competition at LB. We've all seen it and I'm sure it was identified at years end by the staff that LBs in coverage, specifically Telvin, sucked last year.

We were like 2nd against the pass and 5th overall defense.  For a guy who played every snap, that does not reflect that he sucked....he didn't have his best year, but he hardly played poorly relative to the NFL as whole.
(05-01-2019, 09:08 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]

We were like 2nd against the pass and 5th overall defense.  For a guy who played every snap, that does not reflect that he sucked....he didn't have his best year, but he hardly played poorly relative to the NFL as whole.

Those rankings reflect on the D as a whole, not the individual. I lost count how many times he whiffed on his assignments. He sucked in coverage last year and had over 20 missed tackles. He played like someone that is replaceable.
The all look like Special Teams aces signed for that reason... at least these last three.

We might go a little top-heavy at LB to carry some core ST guys.

Keep in mind they may bring in some more flyers. We're still only at 75 players but can roster 90, and these players don't even count against the cap per top-51 offseason rules.