Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ranking the draft day trades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There were 40 in all, and CBS sports ranked all 40 trades made during the draft.

The Jaguars deal for Taylor ranked #4 overall.

Quote:4. Jaguars target sliding tackle
  • Jaguars get No. 35 (OT Taylor), 140, 235
  • Raiders get No. 38, 109
We're in the range now where you could make any of the final four trades No. 1 and I wouldn't put up too much of a fight. Many experts matched Jawaan Taylor to the Jaguars at No. 7, but they passed on him when Josh Allen fell further than expected. Imagine their surprise when Taylor was still on the board to open Day 2. The Jaguars wisely struck a deal to go get him and paid almost exactly fair value in the deal

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-...l-at-no-1/
To bring this strategic trade into better perspective, the Jags jumped ahead of the Panthers and the Bills who respectively selected Greg Little and Cody Ford (both Offensive Tackles) with their early 2nd round picks.
(05-03-2019, 11:38 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]To bring this strategic trade into better perspective, the Jags jumped ahead of the Panthers and the Bills who respectively selected Greg Little and Cody Ford (both Offensive Tackles) with their early 2nd round picks.

Effectively giving us our choice of tackle prospects.
Caldwell may be okay at this stuff....
(05-03-2019, 11:57 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]Caldwell may be okay at this stuff....

He's good at identifying up-and-coming free agents (e.g., Sen'Derrik Marks) and rounds 2-7 drafting. Coughlin covers over his penchant for drafting busts in the first round. Everyone has weaknesses. Smile
We traded up and merely got an equal OL (with more red flags) compared to Ford who went with our original 38th pick, and a worse OL than than Risner who went 41st. The trade of our 7th for a 6 next year was better.
All people talk about is how good Taylor's run blocking is, he is so underrated in his pass blocking. He dominated Allen and Burns and played good against Sweat. Nobody dominated Taylor this past year when rushing the passer. Ford and Risner hasnt went up against great speed rushers. They had a good year but it's an unknown as to how they will hold up going against the elite in a real game. They good think about Taylor is he went against the best almost every week and won. Not to even mention his run blockingu
(05-03-2019, 02:47 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We traded up and merely got an equal OL (with more red flags) compared to Ford who went with our original 38th pick, and a worse OL than than Risner who went 41st. The trade of our 7th for a 6 next year was better.

What do you base this on?  Their production in college football?

College ball doesn't even come close to touching NFL football.  I've often said that you can take the very best college team and play them against the worst team in the NFL and it wouldn't even be close.  The NFL team will always win because the college game is too slow and too small when you compare to an NFL team.  It doesn't matter which conference/program in college.  The NFL as a whole comprises the very best of college athletes from schools all across the spectrum.  College players play against the best in their conference.
(05-03-2019, 08:06 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]There were 40 in all, and CBS sports ranked all 40 trades made during the draft.

The Jaguars deal for Taylor ranked #4 overall.

Quote:4. Jaguars target sliding tackle
  • Jaguars get No. 35 (OT Taylor), 140, 235
  • Raiders get No. 38, 109
We're in the range now where you could make any of the final four trades No. 1 and I wouldn't put up too much of a fight. Many experts matched Jawaan Taylor to the Jaguars at No. 7, but they passed on him when Josh Allen fell further than expected. Imagine their surprise when Taylor was still on the board to open Day 2. The Jaguars wisely struck a deal to go get him and paid almost exactly fair value in the deal

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-...l-at-no-1/

Nice. I remember when the trade came up in real time that I was paranoid that they forked over one of those three's to move up three spots to get him. When I realized that wasn't the case I was pretty damn happy. They were about to ruin my birthday weekend buzz. That's no bueno man.

(05-03-2019, 02:47 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We traded up and merely got an equal OL (with more red flags) compared to Ford who went with our original 38th pick, and a worse OL than than Risner who went 41st. The trade of our 7th for a 6 next year was better.

I don't think we got an "equal" OL. Taylor was considered a top ten prospect. Ford and Risner? I can't recall. But I don't recall seeing very many media faces hyping up Ford nor Risner as much as Taylor was. The fact that we gave up practically nothing to land him is a combination of luck and good scout work. 

I forgot about this year's 7th for a 6th next year. I like that trade. But the odds of us landing a top 10 prospect like we did with that 35th overall pick were low. Same with Jack three years ago. And same with Robinson two years ago. I have to tip my hat to Caldwell. I know a lot of us have up and down remarks and feelings about him. 

But it's sure as hell hard not to like what they've done with this draft class. It's all on Foles and that offensive line holding up physically now.
I love that we got Taylor with the trade. I do feel we pry missed out on a wr in this draft because of the trade. We prly take Williams in the 4th and a wr with that 2nd third or vice versa. It did change the draft but overall I'm pretty happy we got taylor.
(05-03-2019, 04:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we got an "equal" OL. Taylor was considered a top ten prospect. Ford and Risner? I can't recall. But I don't recall seeing very many media faces hyping up Ford nor Risner as much as Taylor was. The fact that we gave up practically nothing to land him is a combination of luck and good scout work. 

Great post. The draft team sensed correctly that the tackle run on Taylor-Ford-Little-Risner was about to begin at the top of the 2nd and knew that they were likely to get one at 38, six picks in. If they judged all 4 to be equivalent, they could sit and see which one(s) were available then. 

But,instead, they shopped around and made a fine trade, giving up little to get into position to take the guy they wanted. Very Belichickian. 

Imagine, just imagine, if all 4 were gone by 38.
(05-04-2019, 08:22 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine, just imagine, if all 4 were gone by 38.

35, 36, 37...38.
(05-04-2019, 08:22 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2019, 04:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we got an "equal" OL. Taylor was considered a top ten prospect. Ford and Risner? I can't recall. But I don't recall seeing very many media faces hyping up Ford nor Risner as much as Taylor was. The fact that we gave up practically nothing to land him is a combination of luck and good scout work. 

Great post. The draft team sensed correctly that the tackle run on Taylor-Ford-Little-Risner was about to begin at the top of the 2nd and knew that they were likely to get one at 38, six picks in. If they judged all 4 to be equivalent, they could sit and see which one(s) were available then. 

But,instead, they shopped around and made a fine trade, giving up little to get into position to take the guy they wanted. Very Belichickian. 

Imagine, just imagine, if all 4 were gone by 38.
Taylor is the most athletic of the group and the only one who could potentially play left tackle. In fact, I think the Jags would try him there but for Cam.
(05-04-2019, 09:36 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2019, 08:22 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine, just imagine, if all 4 were gone by 38.

35, 36, 37...38.

Not following you, 2nd round started at 33 so we were 6th. Was the trade made after pick 35? I was assuming it was made prior to that, like over the eggs benedict at 7 AM.
(05-04-2019, 10:34 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2019, 09:36 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]35, 36, 37...38.

Not following you, 2nd round started at 33 so we were 6th. Was the trade made after pick 35? I was assuming it was made prior to that, like over the eggs benedict at 7 AM.

Yeah when we traded up to 35 we knew there were 4 good OT left and 4 picks to 38. They just had Taylor graded significantly higher than the rest, and obviously I disagree with that pretty strongly. But like that article said, Taylor was dead on their typical height/length parameters. They care way more about size than agility.
(05-04-2019, 11:17 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2019, 10:34 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Not following you, 2nd round started at 33 so we were 6th. Was the trade made after pick 35? I was assuming it was made prior to that, like over the eggs benedict at 7 AM.

Yeah when we traded up to 35 we knew there were 4 good OT left and 4 picks to 38. They just had Taylor graded significantly higher than the rest, and obviously I disagree with that pretty strongly. But like that article said, Taylor was dead on their typical height/length parameters. They care way more about size than agility.

where did they say they had Taylor graded significantly higher than the rest bar thinking he was a first rounder, i can't recall them commenting about how they had Ford and Risner graded
(05-04-2019, 12:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2019, 11:17 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah when we traded up to 35 we knew there were 4 good OT left and 4 picks to 38. They just had Taylor graded significantly higher than the rest, and obviously I disagree with that pretty strongly. But like that article said, Taylor was dead on their typical height/length parameters. They care way more about size than agility.

where did they say they had Taylor graded significantly higher than the rest bar thinking he was a first rounder, i can't recall them commenting about how they had Ford and Risner graded

If they didn't why would they trade up knowing that they were guaranteed one of those players if they stayed put?
(05-04-2019, 04:11 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2019, 12:25 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]where did they say they had Taylor graded significantly higher than the rest bar thinking he was a first rounder, i can't recall them commenting about how they had Ford and Risner graded

If they didn't why would they trade up knowing that they were guaranteed one of those players if they stayed put?

Because the tackle run was about to start and they could have been jumped. Carolina took a tackle, Bills could have easily traded up to 37 and took their top tackle. 

Taylor was top of their board, but there isn't actually any evidence he was significantly higher than the other two. Both Risner and Ford could have graded as 1st rounders too
Reminded me when we got Ramsey / Jack
(05-04-2019, 11:17 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2019, 10:34 AM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Not following you, 2nd round started at 33 so we were 6th. Was the trade made after pick 35? I was assuming it was made prior to that, like over the eggs benedict at 7 AM.

Correct, and I saw a vast chasm between Little and the other three guys. I'm glad we didn't rest on our laurels and end up having to settle on a guy who was likely a tier (or tiers) below the top guy on our board, considering the expense to move up.