Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Your Breakout Stars in 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Offense: Leonard Fournette
if he stays healthy, I think he could rush for 1,000 and be a lot more effective in the pass game under Coach Defillipo

Defense: Myles Jack
I think he plays at a pro bowl level all year long and becomes that playmaker of the group. I expect him to have his best year and get a few picks, too.
Offense: Our whole WR Corps. A lot of people dog on them, but I actually think we have a very talented group if they stay healthy. Who has the best year and Foles go-to guy? Could be Westbrook? Chark? Conley? Lee will be back, and I do think Cole returns to his old self. Very exciting to say the least.

Defense: Either Ronnie Harrison or Taven Bryan. Or both. We desperately need them both to take another step forward this year. N
I don't know if I'd use the term breakout, but I think the following guys could have big seasons:

Westbrook (he's already broken out, but I see him having a big year in this offense)
Fournette (I think DeFilippo will utilize him more wisely than we've seen done)
Chark (we barely saw him last year as a rookie and he'll be on the field more with a better QB - he could "breakout")

Defense:
Jack
Ngakoue (Again - not a breakout - but I think 10 sacks, 4 FF, lots of pressures, and a big payday are coming)
Bryan (I think by mid season he'll be offering up consistent disruption in the middle that will aid the DE's)
Harrison - I think he finishes the season with 3 picks, several pass bu's and a few highlight reel tackles.
2019 Breakout Stars...

With his close ties to Foles, and entering his 5th season, the ultra-athletic Chris Conley will have a big year.

Although rookies, both Joshes will be highly productive. Josh Allen will benefit playing opposite Ngakue, whereby offensive units will not be able to double both of them. Josh Oliver is a big athletic move TE that will be featured heavily in Foles attack.
Jace Sternberger at Green Bay. I think we’re going to regret we didn’t take him.
Harrison and Bryan on defense...

Conley, Westbrook and LF7 on offense...

I'm hoping that these players have a BIG year.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
O: Gonna give the nod to DJ, as previously stated above, Westbrook is already 'arrived' in my book too, so I want to see someone else step up and make a name for themselves.

D: I'm going to go out on a limb and say Leon Jacobs. I liked what I saw in him last season, and think he's been getting overlooked in all the hubbub surrounding Telvin and QWilliams.
Seems like everyone is working off a different definition of what a breakout star is, for me I think it should be someone who becomes a national household name, at least in football terms. Based on that, I’d say we have a few already; Foles on offense, Ramsey on defense. There are also a bunch of defensive players who are established enough already that kind of takes them out the conversation. The players that have a chance, IMO, to become breakout stars this year:

Offense: ONE of the receivers/TEs... Everyone is feeling positive about Foles having a beneficial effect on our pass catchers. If one of them can become his go-to guy they stand a good chance of really blowing up this year. At this stage of the year it’s hard to call which player that will be. Westbrook was arguably the lone bright spot on offense last year, and could develop further this year. On the other hand, Foles does like throwing the ball above-the-rim for big physical WRs to go up for downfield, which could mean a big/fast type like Conley or Chark might be the main beneficiaries. A lot has been made about Foles and his TEs, there is an outside chance that Oliver bucks rookie norms and has a huge rookie year. Swaim is being talked about mainly as a blocking TE right now, but I feel he could also contribute in the passing game. I’m confident that one of these guys will benefit enough from Foles to really breakout this year; I’m just clueless as to who exactly it will be.

Fournette is kind of a household name already, but he does have a great opportunity this year to really be thought of as one of the best. New QB, new playbook and new play caller should all combine to mean that LF won’t be facing 20 man fronts for the first time in his pro career. Still a lot of questions about LF, but he has a great opportunity this year.

Defense: several good candidates here who should benefit from the general talent level on defense: Bryan, Allen, Quincy Williams, Jarrod Wilson are all young players who could explode this year. Jack and Ngakoue both have the opportunity to make the jump from good to elite, especially Jack who will be taking on more responsibility after Telvin’s decision. But I think the player to really make the leap on defense will be Ronnie Harrison. He showed a real nose for the ball last year, and i suspect he’ll put up big stats this year, partly benefitting from our pass rush and lock down corners. I could see him being top 10 in the league in turnovers and ending the season regarded as one of the best safeties in the entire league.
(05-29-2019, 05:04 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: [ -> ]Offense: Leonard Fournette
if he stays healthy, I think he could rush for 1,000 and be a lot more effective in the pass game under Coach Defillipo

Defense: Myles Jack
I think he plays at a pro bowl level all year long and becomes that playmaker of the group. I expect him to have his best year and get a few picks, too.

By no means would a mere 1000 yards rushing mean a breakout season for Fournette. That much is his floor as long as he plays at least 14 games.

I'll go with...

Offense: Chris Conley - he never did do much with the Chiefs, but he looks to have found his niche here in Jacksonville.

Defense: Ronnie Harrison - I feel he's the reason the Jaguars were content with not panicking over getting another S, but the other S spot is still up in the air. Harrison is a gem both against the run and pass, and can effectively start at either SS or FS. I can see a scenario where we start at rookie UDFA at SS while making Harrison the FS, but he's probably more comfortable sticking at SS. 
Offense I am leaning towards D.J Chark. He has the frame and speed. He's a 2nd RD pick. Time to kick it in gear. Maybe he and Foles can build something. But I think a 50+ REC., 600+ REC YRD, 5+ TD's is a fair enough "breakout" for him.

Defense I am leaning towards Taven Bryan. He's back inside now. He got the rookie year out of the way and should be more up to speed. I don't expect massive numbers on the sheet but I do expect him to be consistently disruptive in the backfield.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(05-29-2019, 05:04 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: [ -> ]Offense: Leonard Fournette

One only needs to rush for 62 yards per game to reach 1,000.   Nevertheless, I'd take it at this point but my expectations for the #4 pick in the draft were much higher in the past.
Offense: DJ Chark is going to step up with new scheme and Foles at QB and become legit #1

Defense: Jared Willson is going to surprise a lot of people
Fournette leads the league in rushing and TDs

Ramsey has a career year
Offense: DJ Chark-May not put up Pro Bowl numbers, but will be vastly improved from last year, especially with a healthy OL to enable him to run deep routes, and a more accurate QB to get him the ball.

Defense: Pressure makes diamonds...or something like that. I believe that with a year at MLB under his belt, a contract year, with the burden of unit leadership now firmly in his lap with Telvin Smith being gone, I think Jack rises to the challenge. I think with Allen being added to the pass rush mix, Ngakoue (also in a contract year) will have a big year, too.
Not really a breakout I guess but I expect Lee to come back with a purpose. I'm thinking 1100 yards with a QB that can actually get him the ball on a consistent basis.
(05-29-2019, 08:57 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]Not really a breakout I guess but I expect Lee to come back with a purpose. I'm thinking 1100 yards with a QB that can actually get him the ball on a consistent basis.

If Lee does that it will be a breakout year for him
I'm gonna say Harrison. Don't see any reason why he can't be Keanu Neal esque in year 2
Offense: I will go with Robinson. I think Cam will have his best year as a Jag. As far as ball guys go. I will go with Conley. I think his rapport with Foles will lead to a big year from him.
Defense: Taven Bryan. He is going to take big steps this year as the 3 tech. I think he gets 6 or 7 sacks this season with a ton of hurries.
We need a healthy year. Last year was just brutal and it fell apart in a hurry after a nice start. After a rough 9-6 loss to TEN we killed the Jets and I thought we would be okay. Then everyone started dropping like flies starting with Fournette. Losing Lee in the preseason didn't help either. We need contribution from the running game and the backs in the passing game. LF27 kind of fell off the map last year and I think he'll be back strong hopefully with a Pro Bowl caliber year. Ronnie Harrison could be the break out star of the year defensively.
(05-29-2019, 01:47 PM)KingJones Wrote: [ -> ]Offense:  DJ Chark is going to step up with new scheme and Foles at QB and become legit #1

Defense:  Jared Willson is going to surprise a lot of people

Jarrod, not Jared.

If you define "breakout star" as someone who was not a star last year, but plays a lot better this year, I will go with Taven Bryan.  I think he has the physical ability and work ethic, plus he now has a year under his belt and an offseason, so he's my pick.
Pages: 1 2 3